Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Refinishing / Staining existing cabinets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/refinishing-staining-existing-cabinets-307144/)

kgovier5 06-02-2020 06:35 AM

Refinishing / Staining existing cabinets

Has anyone repainted or refinished their kitchen cabinets? We don't want to replace them but we would like to change the look.

Have heard that we can re-paint them with specialized paint which sounds easier then sanding them and re-staining them but not sure how they would look.

Anyone have any suggestions, thanks.

Investment Painting Contractors 06-02-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgovier5 (Post 1775586)
Has anyone repainted or refinished their kitchen cabinets? We don't want to replace them but we would like to change the look.

Have heard that we can re-paint them with specialized paint which sounds easier then sanding them and re-staining them but not sure how they would look.

Anyone have any suggestions, thanks.

I sent you a PM with Information on how to see an example of painted cabinets.

villagetinker 06-02-2020 07:50 AM

A neighbor had Steve Kling paint their cabinets as part of the house (outside) painting they seemed to do a good job. my personal concerns are whether the cabinets were properly cleaned of dirt and grease. Were they properly primed, some paints do not stick well over previous finishes. IMHO, I would have the doors removed (in order) cleaned, and spray painted, and then have the cabinet faces cleaned, lightly sanded, cleaned again and brush painted with high quality brushes.
Also, unless your cabinets are solid wood door and fronts I would NOT try to re-stain, and if you are still looking at re-staining, I doubt that you will be able to go lighter, only darker. The door will be very hard to remove the original finish. Due to the typical detail work on the doors, I would spray these.
Hope this helps, good luck with your project.

Investment Painting Contractors 06-02-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1775711)
A neighbor had Steve Kling paint their cabinets as part of the house (outside) painting they seemed to do a good job. my personal concerns are whether the cabinets were properly cleaned of dirt and grease. Were they properly primed, some paints do not stick well over previous finishes. IMHO, I would have the doors removed (in order) cleaned, and spray painted, and then have the cabinet faces cleaned, lightly sanded, cleaned again and brush painted with high quality brushes.
Also, unless your cabinets are solid wood door and fronts I would NOT try to re-stain, and if you are still looking at re-staining, I doubt that you will be able to go lighter, only darker. The door will be very hard to remove the original finish. Due to the typical detail work on the doors, I would spray these.
Hope this helps, good luck with your project.

You forgot Bonding Primer, after sanding and solvent cleaning. Then a quality paint conditioned with floetrol, to help the paint level out can be applied using a very fine knap roller and brush. Sherwin Williams makes a water based enamel called Pro Classic which has self leveling qualities. Our cabinets were done this way 13 yrs ago, with no yellowing or chipping. PS This kitchen is used daily as Mary and I both like to cook. Len & Mary the retired half of IPC

villagetinker 06-02-2020 11:42 AM

Ah, thank you for the additional info, it has been many years since I painted cabinets, and at the time i found that I was much better with a sprayer than a brush, but with the info above brush application looks doable.