Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/help-singing-not-very-well-neighbor-307875/)

maltieri 06-17-2020 07:14 PM

Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor

We're new to Marsh Bend and have a neighbor who likes to sing. He heads out to his lanai at random hours (daylight luckily) and just starts belting out tunes. We wouldn't mind so much but unfortunately he's not on key very often and there's not even any background music (aka karaoke). Not trying to be mean but we'd like to enjoy our lanai without the 'serenade'. Appreciate others thoughts on how to manage this one !

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:23 PM

You just might try talking to him? Maybe first introduce yourself to him as to being new in the "neighborhood". Don't let crap build up, that's the worst thing you can do.
Steve

asianthree 06-17-2020 07:26 PM

With as close as homes are in TV, quiet is not on the venue.

davem4616 06-17-2020 07:32 PM

you can always enclose your lanai

not a bad idea with all the heavy rain that we get here....makes the room usable regardless of the weather

doubtful that there is any tactful way to get him to understand that he really is an awful singer...most likely he needs hearing aids and has no idea that he's being too loud

maybe you could consider inviting them over for cocktails....after a few let him know that you can hear him singing...he may not even realize that he's that loud

good luck...not an easy one for sure

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:34 PM

I must sing pretty good because I never hear anyone complain. :clap2:
Steve

maltieri 06-17-2020 07:42 PM

Update - had a quick chat with my good neighbor. Didn't realize that the sound carried so far. TV is certainly not the quiet zone but awesome to know we're all considerate of each other!

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltieri (Post 1786470)
Update - had a quick chat with my good neighbor. Didn't realize that the sound carried so far. TV is certainly not the quiet zone but awesome to know we're all considerate of each other!

Good to hear.
Steve

Velvet 06-17-2020 07:59 PM

Can you get him to sing where the aerobic drummers are drumming?

tophcfa 06-17-2020 08:04 PM

Ask him what he did with the money. If he asks what money, tell him the money his mother gave him for singing lessons.

riley2011 06-18-2020 05:08 AM

Turn on the radio. Maybe he’ll get the hint.

bowlingal 06-18-2020 05:35 AM

record him and play it back for him to hear how he sounds

DecaturFargo 06-18-2020 05:38 AM

Talk to him.

davem4616 06-18-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Good on you! Glad to hear that it worked out fine ....many of us haven't lived this close to our neighbors previously

xcaligirl 06-18-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingal (Post 1786594)
record him and play it back for him to hear how he sounds

That was my thought! Invite him over for drinks and then play it for him. lol. It was very nice to hear that he's understanding. We're all way too close for people who don't understand and want to be jerks. Life is just too short... enjoy!

graciegirl 06-18-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

He had no clue people even noticed his singing and he was unaware it wasn't pleasant to hear if they did. He has stopped. He is embarrassed and humiliated. He will be outwardly polite to you, but he won't ever feel comfortable and confident around you. His wife said to him..."There is nothing wrong with your singing, don't let it bother you". Sometimes just overlooking minor things is the best thing to do. Unless you don't mind someone telling you that your butt crack shows when you are weeding.

soniak4@gmail.com 06-18-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

I applaud you!!! Handling this situation like an adult and addressing the issue with respect and honesty is the only way to go. Well done. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

George Page 06-18-2020 06:43 AM

Imagine.....singing while weeding!

George Page 06-18-2020 06:52 AM

Help!

1 Attachment(s)
I could use some singing lessons too.

DonH57 06-18-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1786497)
Ask him what he did with the money. If he asks what money, tell him the money his mother gave him for singing lessons.

LOL. You beat me to that one.:1rotfl:

Bay Kid 06-18-2020 07:02 AM

Sing along with him, hopefully better.

LG999 06-18-2020 07:08 AM

I wish you hadn’t made him feel bad.

Ritabob 06-18-2020 07:19 AM

Good for you. We should all try communicating with one another instead of yelling and assuming the worst.

dewilson58 06-18-2020 07:21 AM

Much better than my neighbor......................I can hear him fart.

Jewelz 06-18-2020 07:24 AM

I'm glad you talked to him. He must be a happy guy singing his heart out!!!

cj740@comcast.net 06-18-2020 07:32 AM

Singing on lanai

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1786459)
With as close as homes are in TV, quiet is not on the venue.

It is curious to me that the homes in TV are, indeed, in most case built much too close together. I wonder if it ever occurred to the designers/architects/builders that privacy is of utmost importance.....to everyone. And, as we age, our hearing can/does get compromised and so, speaking louder to each other or turning up the TV/music on the lanai might be necessary. I would say not much, if any, thought was put into that aspect of the design. Thoughts? Thanks.

graciegirl 06-18-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj740@comcast.net (Post 1786726)
It is curious to me that the homes in TV are, indeed, in most case built much too close together. I wonder if it ever occurred to the designers/architects/builders that privacy is of utmost importance.....to everyone. And, as we age, our hearing can/does get compromised and so, speaking louder to each other or turning up the TV/music on the lanai might be necessary. I would say not much, if any, thought was put into that aspect of the design. Thoughts? Thanks.

Consideration was given to folks who were tired of tending and managing the tending of large yards.

tophcfa 06-18-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1786717)
Much better than my neighbor......................I can hear him fart.

That could be dangerous with all the lightning in the air :boom:

cj740@comcast.net 06-18-2020 08:20 AM

Hmmm...interesting. What about consideration for privacy?

dplars 06-18-2020 08:20 AM

Had that problem with yapping dogs and screaming kids so loaded my sound system in the pool area with a recording of a cotton tail rabbit's death scream available from sporting goods store), then left hose to play golf. Problem solved, message sent.

pqrstar 06-18-2020 08:31 AM

It puts a smile on my face when I see or hear people who are happy and enjoying themselves.

What would the world be like if all the bad dancers, bad golfers, bad tennis players etc. never got out there because someone told them they were upsetting to them?

I once had a neighbor who took his motorcycle out for a ride every night at 10:00. It made me happy to always hear him coming by because I knew he was enjoying life.

Dianalea 06-18-2020 08:31 AM

Lol!

billethkid 06-18-2020 08:36 AM

An opening line in a conversation could be to ask if he takes requests!
:duck:

MOMOH 06-18-2020 08:44 AM

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. The "visual" it creates is hilarious! Glad the problem was solved and after all...it's not the worst problem to have.

BlackhawksFan 06-18-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltieri (Post 1786447)
We're new to Marsh Bend and have a neighbor who likes to sing. He heads out to his lanai at random hours (daylight luckily) and just starts belting out tunes. We wouldn't mind so much but unfortunately he's not on key very often and there's not even any background music (aka karaoke). Not trying to be mean but we'd like to enjoy our lanai without the 'serenade'. Appreciate others thoughts on how to manage this one !

Is it the "Morning is here" guy from Friends?

GOLFER54 06-18-2020 09:19 AM

Take out your radio, and blast it every time this inconsiderable jerk sings. He’ll eventually get the hint, if not you start singing even louder OFF KEY.

Velvet 06-18-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Page (Post 1786672)
Imagine.....singing while weeding!

Only while the drummers are drumming...

NancyLee 06-18-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1786646)
He had no clue people even noticed his singing and he was unaware it wasn't pleasant to hear if they did. He has stopped. He is embarrassed and humiliated. He will be outwardly polite to you, but he won't ever feel comfortable and confident around you. His wife said to him..."There is nothing wrong with your singing, don't let it bother you". Sometimes just overlooking minor things is the best thing to do. Unless you don't mind someone telling you that your butt crack shows when you are weeding.

Wow, that is a lot to read into, "I had a quick chat with my good neighbor."

nikonuser1 06-18-2020 10:29 AM

It is good to know that you talked to him and he will be more considerate in the future. You dun good.

OhioBuckeye 06-18-2020 10:44 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Man, this is the toughest thing I’ve ever read on TOTV to solve. Maybe he wants to be discovered, LOL. Maybe you & your wife could scream out a tune yourselves & maybe he’ll think the same thing. This one has got me stumped!

mollypeanut 06-18-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

I don’t live in Marsh Bend, so I know it’s not the same gentlemen.. But I have a similar situation in my neighborhood.. Maybe once a week or every other week a gentleman opens his garage and starts singing.. It’s always during the day, not a great singer either, but he is happy..!
The songs are the oldies, I’m guessing from his youth. He is doing what makes him happy.. That is maybe why he retired to The Villages.. So while his singing is terrible, I sometimes take a glass of wine and go and sit on my lanai and listen anyway..
But that is just me.. we all have our triggers.. be it Wind Chimes, a barking dog, there will always be something...😊