Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/help-singing-not-very-well-neighbor-307875/)

maltieri 06-17-2020 07:14 PM

Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor

We're new to Marsh Bend and have a neighbor who likes to sing. He heads out to his lanai at random hours (daylight luckily) and just starts belting out tunes. We wouldn't mind so much but unfortunately he's not on key very often and there's not even any background music (aka karaoke). Not trying to be mean but we'd like to enjoy our lanai without the 'serenade'. Appreciate others thoughts on how to manage this one !

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:23 PM

You just might try talking to him? Maybe first introduce yourself to him as to being new in the "neighborhood". Don't let crap build up, that's the worst thing you can do.
Steve

asianthree 06-17-2020 07:26 PM

With as close as homes are in TV, quiet is not on the venue.

davem4616 06-17-2020 07:32 PM

you can always enclose your lanai

not a bad idea with all the heavy rain that we get here....makes the room usable regardless of the weather

doubtful that there is any tactful way to get him to understand that he really is an awful singer...most likely he needs hearing aids and has no idea that he's being too loud

maybe you could consider inviting them over for cocktails....after a few let him know that you can hear him singing...he may not even realize that he's that loud

good luck...not an easy one for sure

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:34 PM

I must sing pretty good because I never hear anyone complain. :clap2:
Steve

maltieri 06-17-2020 07:42 PM

Update - had a quick chat with my good neighbor. Didn't realize that the sound carried so far. TV is certainly not the quiet zone but awesome to know we're all considerate of each other!

anothersteve 06-17-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltieri (Post 1786470)
Update - had a quick chat with my good neighbor. Didn't realize that the sound carried so far. TV is certainly not the quiet zone but awesome to know we're all considerate of each other!

Good to hear.
Steve

Velvet 06-17-2020 07:59 PM

Can you get him to sing where the aerobic drummers are drumming?

tophcfa 06-17-2020 08:04 PM

Ask him what he did with the money. If he asks what money, tell him the money his mother gave him for singing lessons.

riley2011 06-18-2020 05:08 AM

Turn on the radio. Maybe he’ll get the hint.

bowlingal 06-18-2020 05:35 AM

record him and play it back for him to hear how he sounds

DecaturFargo 06-18-2020 05:38 AM

Talk to him.

davem4616 06-18-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Good on you! Glad to hear that it worked out fine ....many of us haven't lived this close to our neighbors previously

xcaligirl 06-18-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingal (Post 1786594)
record him and play it back for him to hear how he sounds

That was my thought! Invite him over for drinks and then play it for him. lol. It was very nice to hear that he's understanding. We're all way too close for people who don't understand and want to be jerks. Life is just too short... enjoy!

graciegirl 06-18-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

He had no clue people even noticed his singing and he was unaware it wasn't pleasant to hear if they did. He has stopped. He is embarrassed and humiliated. He will be outwardly polite to you, but he won't ever feel comfortable and confident around you. His wife said to him..."There is nothing wrong with your singing, don't let it bother you". Sometimes just overlooking minor things is the best thing to do. Unless you don't mind someone telling you that your butt crack shows when you are weeding.