Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bridgeport at Lake Sumter Gate Changes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bridgeport-lake-sumter-gate-changes-308290/)

Flatlander 06-26-2020 01:44 PM

Bridgeport at Lake Sumter Gate Changes

Traveling on the golf cart path today approaching the entrance to Bridgeport at Lake Sumter the cart in front of me started to cross the street, Ternberry Forrest Drive, as a vehicle exiting Bridgeport approached the gate. The exiting vehicle approached the gate and slowed but never stopped, however the gate opened immediately. The cart had not cleared the roadway so the exiting vehicle laid on the horn. I was amazed at how quickly the gate opened as there had previously been a short delay in the gate opening when a vehicle approached, part of the fix to the ongoing traffic problems at that gate. As I passed across the exit road I noticed that the gate barrier has been shortened, allowing room for a golf cart to exit without having to stop. Wondering why the changes have been made, making this once again a dangerous intersection. Please be aware of these changes and take the appropriate precautions when crossing this intersection.

Bogie Shooter 06-26-2020 04:05 PM

The signs for golf carts are STOP and YIELD. Problem fixed.

champion6 06-27-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1792585)
The signs for golf carts are STOP and YIELD. Problem fixed.

:agree:
The use of common sense makes this a safe intersection.
Thanks for your Heads Up.

Topspinmo 06-28-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlander (Post 1792528)
Traveling on the golf cart path today approaching the entrance to Bridgeport at Lake Sumter the cart in front of me started to cross the street, Ternberry Forrest Drive, as a vehicle exiting Bridgeport approached the gate. The exiting vehicle approached the gate and slowed but never stopped, however the gate opened immediately. The cart had not cleared the roadway so the exiting vehicle laid on the horn. I was amazed at how quickly the gate opened as there had previously been a short delay in the gate opening when a vehicle approached, part of the fix to the ongoing traffic problems at that gate. As I passed across the exit road I noticed that the gate barrier has been shortened, allowing room for a golf cart to exit without having to stop. Wondering why the changes have been made, making this once again a dangerous intersection. Please be aware of these changes and take the appropriate precautions when crossing this intersection.

AHIP. Enough said.

Bogie Shooter 06-28-2020 04:26 PM

Ahip?

John41 06-28-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlander (Post 1792528)

The whole justification for gates was to increase golf cart safety so this is a hazard that needs to be fixed by requiring cars to come to a full stop.
I would call community watch as I think a private company maintains the gates. When we had a golf cart this was always a dangerous and uncomfortable intersection.

Bogie Shooter 06-28-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1794052)
The whole justification for gates was to increase golf cart safety so this is a hazard that needs to be fixed by requiring cars to come to a full stop.
I would call community watch as I think a private company maintains the gates. When we had a golf cart this was always a dangerous and uncomfortable intersection.

Which gates actually cause a complete stop? More don’t than do.

tophcfa 06-28-2020 08:09 PM

I go worried when I read the thread title that they put back those dam back jarring speed bumps.

Topspinmo 06-29-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1794105)
I go worried when I read the thread title that they put back those dam back jarring speed bumps.

Speed bumps need to be on the street not the cart path.