Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   What "Lively" Beach Would You Go To For a Day Trip? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/what-lively-beach-would-you-go-day-trip-308307/)

Troopie 06-26-2020 06:34 PM

What "Lively" Beach Would You Go To For a Day Trip?

If you could go to a "fun" beach that is within a two-hour drive of The Villages, where would you go?
My cousin will be visiting in a few weeks and I'd like to take her to a beach for the day. I'm not familiar with any of the beaches in Florida -- I don't want a rural/quiet beach -- am looking for a beach that has a lot of fun options such as tourist shopping, music and restaurants. I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Gulfcoast 06-26-2020 06:47 PM

Maybe check out Daytona Beach?

Medtrans 06-26-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troopie (Post 1792650)
If you could go to a "fun" beach that is within a two-hour drive of The Villages, where would you go?
My cousin will be visiting in a few weeks and I'd like to take her to a beach for the day. I'm not familiar with any of the beaches in Florida -- I don't want a rural/quiet beach -- am looking for a beach that has a lot of fun options such as tourist shopping, music and restaurants. I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Clearwater!

VApeople 06-26-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medtrans (Post 1792659)
Clearwater!

Yeah, we went there once and it was very nice. If you look on Google maps, you will see a lot of places to eat.

Medtrans 06-26-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1792668)
Yeah, we went there once and it was very nice. If you look on Google maps, you will see a lot of places to eat.

Frenchy’s right in the beach. Grouper sandwich.

JGVillages 06-26-2020 07:32 PM

Siesta Key Sarasota.

tophcfa 06-26-2020 08:03 PM

In these trying times, the more "lively" a beach is, the more "deadly" it is also. I would try to find an isolated beach, or non at all. But maybe that's just me?

Polar Bear 06-26-2020 08:15 PM

Recently spent two days at Clearwater Beach...before the recent virus upsurge...after working across the bridge from Clearwater Beach for most of my career. :) Can’t beat it imo for a “fun” beach.

But as others have said...enjoy with caution.

John41 06-26-2020 08:43 PM

New Smyrna Beach.

John_W 06-26-2020 09:11 PM

Clearwater or anywhere on the Gulf. The ocean is aqua blue, you see through it as you drive your car up from the road. The sand is like sugar. The Atlantic is a poor imitation of a beach. Dark water, colder, and the sand is mostly broken shells crushed together, that's why you can drive your car on it. Anyone that has been to both coasts will say the Gulf Coast. Clearwater, Siesta Keys, Destin, these places have all been picked as the best in the USA.

Chi-Town 06-26-2020 10:37 PM

Treasure Island is fun and funky.

Robyn1963 06-27-2020 06:00 AM

Venice

Kahiland 06-27-2020 06:07 AM

No judgment, but do you really want to the beach right now?

Eg_cruz 06-27-2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troopie (Post 1792650)

Clearwater

La lamy 06-27-2020 06:09 AM

Clearwater would be my suggestion. If you go, I also recommend you eat at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill Seafood restaurant at 7 Rockaway St. It's right on the beach. Get a patio/lanai table and you get a great view of the Gulf and people playing beach volleyball.