Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   What happened to the PC term, "African Americans"???? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/what-happened-pc-term-african-americans-308378/)

coffeebean 06-28-2020 09:53 AM

What happened to the PC term, "African American"?

Every single post on this forum I read about our current events and the protestors speak of "blacks" and not once have I read the term "African Americans". Seems to me that PC term has gone by the wayside. Is this because the BLM movement has sort of wiped out the PC terminology?

Also....must say I have not seen that PC term "African American" in news print, on line or stated in news broadcasts. They are referred to as "black"!

tophcfa 06-28-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1793740)
Every single post on this forum I read about our current events and the protestors speak of "blacks" and not once have I read the term "African Americans". Seems to me that PC term has gone by the wayside. Is this because the BLM movement has sort of wiped out the PC terminology?

Also....must say I have not seen that PC term "African Americans" in news print, on line or stated in news broadcasts. They are referred to as "black"!

Perhaps because the movement is not titled “African American Lives Matter”?

charlieo1126@gmail.com 06-28-2020 10:23 AM

PC term African American

Hmmmm is that like Irish American, Italian American interesting how some the same words can be used with pride while the same words can be used with disdain

njbchbum 06-28-2020 10:23 AM

Perhaps because in our world of cultural diversity all blacks are not African nor American?

Stu from NYC 06-28-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com (Post 1793775)
Hmmmm is that like Irish American, Italian American interesting how some the same words can be used with pride while the same words can be used with disdain

Interesting for sure

dewilson58 06-28-2020 10:58 AM

NAACP

:shrug:

Kahuna32162 06-28-2020 11:15 AM

Why do we need terms to distinguish any group of people by ethnicity?

Velvet 06-28-2020 11:24 AM

I was always a little surprised by the term African American because there was no use of European American. But, I think people should be allowed to chose whatever term they like to refer to themselves. My problem is with propaganda, if BLM is using Marxism or Communism as a model, then I have a real problem with that.

JoMar 06-28-2020 12:52 PM

It's still in use

coffeebean 06-28-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1793881)
It's still in use

Really? I have not heard or read that term at all with the uprising of this BLM movement.

blueash 06-28-2020 01:30 PM

I called my grandfather "Grandpa" and he liked that term. It worked for both of us. But now that I am of that age I want my grandchildren to use a different term for me. My grandchildren may use grandpa with their other grandfather but they have learned that my preferred term differs. It is a sign of respect for my feelings that they use my preferred name. If at one time Black Americans wanted to be called colored because at least it was better than "n..r" then colored it is. If later they went to Negro as it made them more comfortable, then Negro it should be. If later this becomes African American then it behooves any reasonable person to switch to African American. If now it is Black, I don't see the problem.

What term people use within their own group is not automatically a term a non-member of the group is allowed to use. If I were Jewish and I called my friend Hymie boy or Kike that does not give you permission to use the term. Within a group the foul label being hurled by the oppressing non-member at it is often used to attempt to have it loose its power. Yankee Doodle was an major insult when used by the British. Even after its adoption by the Revolutionaries, it was still an insult when used by a British soldier.

Boomer 06-28-2020 03:05 PM

, . .

Slapnut 06-29-2020 04:59 AM

It should just be American. That's what we should call ourselves.

Cranford61 06-29-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com (Post 1793775)

sorta started in 2003? when former NJ Democratic governor, James McGreevy announced on television, with his wife aside him, “the truth is that I am a gay American”. Wife was shocked, shamed but then hired a divorce attorney to sue his butt. McGreevey then resigned and got a job advocating gay rights.
Maybe Villagers should declare themselves “hirsute- Americans”, “snow-capped Americans”, “dysmorphic-Americans” or “thirsty-Americans”. Thoughts?

coalminer 06-29-2020 05:21 AM

This letter oozes with insincereity