Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Deputy at Lake Sumter Landing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/deputy-lake-sumter-landing-308541/)

Flatlander 07-02-2020 07:02 AM

Deputy at Lake Sumter Landing

I’ve seen a deputy sitting in his car or walking around the square every day for the last few days. Anyone know why he’s there?

dewilson58 07-02-2020 07:08 AM

Doing his job ???

EdFNJ 07-02-2020 07:09 AM

To make sure Panera is really giving free unlimited coffee every day until labor day?

Bay Kid 07-02-2020 07:44 AM

Just in case the garbage mouth lady from Maine comes back.

graciegirl 07-02-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlander (Post 1796210)
I’ve seen a deputy sitting in his car or walking around the square every day for the last few days. Anyone know why he’s there?

I don't know. I am glad he/she is there. Hope all folks who spot him/her, smile and wave.

Chi-Town 07-02-2020 08:23 AM

I'm going to guess it's to remind people of social distancing. But LSL has been pretty empty.

DeanFL 07-02-2020 08:26 AM

Probably to provide fodder for a ToTV posting.

billethkid 07-02-2020 08:30 AM

I was driving my golf cart headed away from Lake Sumter Landing when the glove box popped open. I pulled to the side of the road, put on my flasher, to close it up. A police car pulled along side and asked if there was anything he could do to help.

I said I was fine.....and thanked him for being there!!

Thank you to the three counties and State police that are out there for us every day.

John_W 07-02-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1796289)
I'm going to guess it's to remind people of social distancing. But LSL has been pretty empty.

I think you're right. Back in April and May that online Villages newspaper, that actually hates TV, was publishing daily photos of people at LSL sitting at the picnic tables or line dancing to the piped in radio station. Here's an example from an April 28, 2020 article by Larry Groom.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...2f&oe=5F21F70A

After President Trump and Governor DeSantis both praised TV on keeping safe, they wrote this;

For instance, a long line of area residents clearly ignoring the social distancing guidelines of staying six feet apart gathered outside Fresh Market on Tuesday as they waited to get in the store to take advantage of sales on ground chuck and chicken. A similar scene unfolded recently outside Red Sauce in Lake Sumter Landing as residents packed together in a large crowd while awaiting to-go orders.

Local residents also were seen crowded around restaurant bars after news of the virus and the need to practice social distancing first surfaced. Golfers were seen in groups on several courses. And Sumter County sheriff’s deputies have been called to disperse crowds from an area near the Lake Sumter bridge and the town square area of Lake Sumter Landing, where a large fence has been erected around the town square area and chairs and picnic tables have been roped off to keep residents from using them.

Stu from NYC 07-02-2020 09:17 AM

Doing his job and we should all thank him for doing it.

VApeople 07-02-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1796341)
Doing his job and we should all thank him for doing it.

I completely agree!

Flatlander 07-02-2020 05:46 PM

Wow! I asked a simple question. Really didn’t expect that to generate so many snide answers. I was a Sheriff’s Deputy for 25 years. So I also appreciate the work they do. Agencies can’t afford to park a car at a mostly empty square for several days without a reason. I just inquired if anyone knew why as there was no obvious reason. Nothing more.

Stu from NYC 07-02-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlander (Post 1796632)
Wow! I asked a simple question. Really didn’t expect that to generate so many snide answers. I was a Sheriff’s Deputy for 25 years. So I also appreciate the work they do. Agencies can’t afford to park a car at a mostly empty square for several days without a reason. I just inquired if anyone knew why as there was no obvious reason. Nothing more.

Welcome to TTOV. Ask a question and get a smorgasbord of answers

fdpaq0580 07-02-2020 07:07 PM

Possibly a deterrent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatlander (Post 1796632)

I'm thinking that he/she may be their at someone's request to be a deterrent for any possible mischief. I see law enforcement vehicles parked in many places to act as a deterrent to potential crime or to be a visual reminder to obey the law.
If you happen to be in the area and are curious, why not ask your fellow officer "what's up".

Stay well. Stay safe. Peace!
Oh, and Thanks for your 25 years of service.

John41 07-02-2020 09:04 PM

I have seen deputies park at various places around The Villages. I think they are off duty just to deter crime as there were a few purse snatching a few months ago.