Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Slow Play and Ambassadors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/slow-play-ambassadors-308728/)

billmcnall 07-07-2020 08:49 AM

Slow Play and Ambassadors

Is it too much to ask the ambassadors to do their job. Twice in the past 10 days we had 3 groups on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. On both of these days, we were pounded by a rainstorm on the 17th hole and were unable to finish. We should have been finished before the rain started if we moved at a normal pace instead of 20 minutes on every hole for the last 5 holes. Ambassadors don't do anything except deliver sand if needed and wave to you and thank you for coming out. They don't realize the aggravation of waiting 5 minutes to hit every shot or waiting 20 minutes on a tee box to start a hole. The group causing the slow down has an enjoyable day while every other group on the course has a miserable day. I think it's better to anger one group than to have every other group behind them angry about the slow play.
Ambassadors, please do your job!

Number 10 GI 07-07-2020 08:55 AM

Then that group that was angered comes on here and posts how they were rushed by a jerk ambassador who should be doing his job instead of harassing them. As much as I read posts about how bad it is to play golf why do people still do it? Self flagellation to purify their soul?

dewilson58 07-07-2020 09:08 AM

Were they slow according to the chart, cumulatively??

anothersteve 07-07-2020 09:09 AM

20 minutes on every hole? Now I find that to be a bit of a stretch.

Steve

davefin 07-07-2020 09:15 AM

Please lighten up and enjoy the game. What's the rush?

Polar Bear 07-07-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefin (Post 1799203)
Please lighten up and enjoy the game. What's the rush?

I agree with your basic sentiment. But if you’ve ever played behind a truly slow group for an extended period, you know that you don’t have to be in a ‘rush’ to be frustrated.

fdpaq0580 07-07-2020 10:46 AM

Agree. But....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1799208)
I agree with your basic sentiment. But if you’ve ever played behind a truly slow group for an extended period, you know that you don’t have to be in a ‘rush’ to be frustrated.

I agree that it can be frustrating, but some folks sound like they are trying to get in eighteen holes on their lunch hour. I always thought golf was supposed to be a relaxing and friendly sport. For the experts who play so well that they never flub a few shots, remember when you started it probably took you as long. Also, as you get older you may lose some of your strength and speed and become that slow poke.
Also, whatever happened to politely asking if you could "play through"? Give it a try next time you find yourself at the tee with the slow pokes. Never hurts to ask.

Stay well. Stay safe. Tell us about your next hole in one. Peace!

karostay 07-07-2020 10:49 AM

What no dog poop ?
This horse has been ridden more times than Secretariat
Don't play no disappointments

HIgolfers 07-07-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 1799271)
I agree that it can be frustrating, but some folks sound like they are trying to get in eighteen holes on their lunch hour. I always thought golf was supposed to be a relaxing and friendly sport. For the experts who play so well that they never flub a few shots, remember when you started it probably took you as long. Also, as you get older you may lose some of your strength and speed and become that slow poke.
Also, whatever happened to politely asking if you could "play through"? Give it a try next time you find yourself at the tee with the slow pokes. Never hurts to ask.

Stay well. Stay safe. Tell us about your next hole in one. Peace!

You obviously don’t golf in TV. Playing through is definitely frowned upon here. In fact I actually don’t think it is even permitted.

fdpaq0580 07-07-2020 01:41 PM

Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIgolfers (Post 1799349)
You obviously don’t golf in TV. Playing through is definitely frowned upon here. In fact I actually don’t think it is even permitted.

Sorry if playing through is not a viable option.
Actually, used to play here, but my golfing buddy and best friend here died a couple or years ago, I have only been out once since that time. As for getting back out on the course and making new golfing friends, I have had problems as a result of cataract surgery that makes it hard to follow the ball in flight, along with vertigo that screws up my swing. As if my game wasn't bad enough already. Although I would love to play again, don't encourage me or you will have one more extremely old geezer out there trying to find his, uhh, golf balls.
Go out and have a great time and leave the anger for the things that truly matter.

Stay well. Stay safe. Peace!

Bogie Shooter 07-07-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billmcnall (Post 1799179)
Is it too much to ask the ambassadors to do their job. Twice in the past 10 days we had 3 groups on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. On both of these days, we were pounded by a rainstorm on the 17th hole and were unable to finish. We should have been finished before the rain started if we moved at a normal pace instead of 20 minutes on every hole for the last 5 holes. Ambassadors don't do anything except deliver sand if needed and wave to you and thank you for coming out. They don't realize the aggravation of waiting 5 minutes to hit every shot or waiting 20 minutes on a tee box to start a hole. The group causing the slow down has an enjoyable day while every other group on the course has a miserable day. I think it's better to anger one group than to have every other group behind them angry about the slow play.

You did not say if you talked to an ambassador or stopped by the pro shop and talked to the pro.
What good does it do to post this long winded story here?

birdiebill 07-07-2020 03:48 PM

Perhaps some groups play at a "normal" pace and others play much faster. We got frustrated one day because we seemed to have to wait at each tee on the group ahead. But when we finished the round, we were surprised to find we had played in 3 hours and 30 minutes. We actually played ahead of the "chart time". If we finish in less than 4 hours, we are happy. The slow down usually occurs when we make the turn for the second nine. Fast first nine, then catch the wave for the second nine.

JoMar 07-07-2020 05:26 PM

Ambassadors in TV aren't what Ambassadors are outside the bubble which is what you are basing your "do their job" comment. Hate to break it to you but they are doing their jobs. sand, water (at some point), wave, time your play but take no action since they have no authority and if they try, they could lose their jobs.

kcrazorbackfan 07-07-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billmcnall (Post 1799179)

You seriously think complaining on here is going to get the job done? :popcorn:

Call the Golf Shop, ask for a Staff Supervisor and voice your concern; that would be the logical thing to do; the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

ONTAP15 07-07-2020 06:41 PM

Where have I heard this before?? I just can't place it....