Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Offensive smell from irrigation water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/offensive-smell-irrigation-water-308760/)

Michael Charles 07-07-2020 05:09 PM

Offensive smell from irrigation water

We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks

wisbad1 07-07-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Charles (Post 1799448)
We just had some landscaping work done and need to water 2 times a day for a while. I noticed the 2nd time if day (late afternoons) there is a nasty smell from the irrigation water. Not sure if that's normal because the program for the normal schedule is at 5 a.m. and I've never been outside at that time if say to notice if it smells.

Now, before any of you wisenheimers tell me to just get up early and check, I'm not going to get up at 5 a.m. to check for smells, I'd rather sit here now writing this to ask you extremely exceptionally knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks

It stinks all the time.

asianthree 07-07-2020 05:20 PM

I run between 3 and 5am. Trust me no matter where you live the irrigation water stinks so bad you try not to inhale deeply. I try to get out by 3 am before everyone waters their lawn.

So no worries getting up at 5am, I got you covered

Stu from NYC 07-07-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1799452)
I run between 3 and 5am. Trust me no matter where you live the irrigation water stinks so bad you try not to inhale deeply. I try to get out by 3 am before everyone waters their lawn.

Any idea the reason for the smell?

My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.

anothersteve 07-07-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1799471)
Any idea the reason for the smell?

My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.

Village Community Development Districts

Steve

ONTAP15 07-07-2020 06:39 PM

Florida s smelliest home town?

JGVillages 07-07-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1799452)

Not in Marion County portion of TV. We don’t use re-claimed water for irrigation.

champion6 07-07-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1799471)
Any idea the reason for the smell? My dear wife thinks I am nuts for getting out around 7 am for my walk of the morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1799474)

Steve's link explains where the irrigation water for homes south of 466 comes from -- storm water runoff plus the lower Floridan aquifer. Water from the lower Floridan aquifer has a higher level of hydrogen sulfide, known for having the smell of rotten eggs.

Two Bills 07-08-2020 04:43 AM

My wife makes me have a dump when the watering system is in use.
When neighbors remark on the dreadful smell, she blames it on the irrigation water.

banjobob 07-08-2020 04:46 AM

Michael Charles only those on reclaimed water for irrigation have that problem , it does smell .no known relief only wee hours water timing lol

Waddling Eagle 07-08-2020 05:23 AM

The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.

VillagerNut 07-08-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle (Post 1799545)
The Villages does not use reclaimed water anywhere. That is a popular myth, probably arising from the fact that in some areas the irrigation water stinks. If you call the water department they will be happy to explain it to you.

The water from the deep Florida Aquifer has huge amounts of hydrogen sulfide dissolved in it. It is all chlorinated, purified, and treated the same way. Drinking water goes through a final step of having the hydrogen sulfide removed. In some parts of The Villages they don’t do that final step for irrigation water. That is only difference.

All the homes located south of 466 run off of reclaimed water because they have two water meters. The reclaimed water can have a sulfur smell to it. It is non-potable meaning non-drinkable water. That’s why you will also see what looks like rust stains on driveways and houses south of 466.

Villages Kahuna 07-08-2020 05:38 AM

The irrigation water comes from the ponds. At certain times of the year the odor of the water is worse. Ask people who live on golf courses. Set your timer for times that you won’t be outside.

Bob in Fishers 07-08-2020 06:22 AM

Most irrigation water comes from detention water

greenflash245 07-08-2020 06:32 AM

it takes until afternoon for the waste water from toilets to leach through and get into the waste water system.