Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   COVID-19 Risk of Activities RANKED (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/covid-19-risk-activities-ranked-308773/)

DeanFL 07-08-2020 07:58 AM

COVID-19 Risk of Activities RANKED

1 Attachment(s)
"General" risk chart (click to enlarge)

BTW viewing ToTV is ranked VERY LOW, except for blood pressure at times.

CFrance 07-08-2020 08:13 AM

Do you have a link to that chart by any chance? Even when I clicked on it, it was too small to read. (My old eyes, probably)

DeanFL 07-08-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1799704)
Do you have a link to that chart by any chance? Even when I clicked on it, it was too small to read. (My old eyes, probably)

here's one that may work>

Coronavirus risk: Viral graphic shows danger of restaurants, groceries, parties and more - but is it true? - ABC7 Los Angeles

GoodLife 07-08-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1799687)

I stopped agreeing with this list when I saw "going to a beach" ranked more risky than grocery shopping, going to a library, and sitting in a Dr's waiting room. Not buying that one. As long as you are social distancing at the beach, it is much safer than entering any buildings where people are.

queasy27 07-08-2020 09:44 AM

Oy. I had to increase to 200 magnification:

Low Risk
Opening the mail
Getting restaurant takeout
Pumping gas
Playing tennis
Going camping

Moderate-Low Risk
Going for a walk, run or bike ride with others
Playing golf
Staying at a hotel for two nights
Sitting in a doctor's waiting room
Going to a library or museum
Eating outside at a restaurant
Walking in a busy downtown

Moderate Risk
Having dinner at someone else's house
Attending a backyard barbecue
Going to a beach
Shopping in a mall
Sending kids to school, camp or day care
Working a week in an office building
Swimming in a public pool
Visiting an elderly relative or friend in their home

Moderate-High
Going to a hair salon or barbershop
Eating inside in a restaurant
Attending a wedding or funeral
Traveling by plane
Playing football
Hugging or shaking hands when greeting a friend

High Risk
Eating at a buffet
Working out at a gym
Going to an amusement park
Going to a movie theater
Attending a large music concert
Going to a sports stadium
Attending a religious service with 500+ worshipers
Going to a bar

Joe V. 07-08-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1799809)
Oy. I had to increase to 200 magnification:

Low Risk
Opening the mail
Getting restaurant takeout
Pumping gas
Playing tennis
Going camping

Moderate-Low Risk
Going for a walk, run or bike ride with others
Playing golf
Staying at a hotel for two nights
Sitting in a doctor's waiting room
Going to a library or museum
Eating outside at a restaurant
Walking in a busy downtown

Moderate Risk
Having dinner at someone else's house
Attending a backyard barbecue
Going to a beach
Shopping in a mall
Sending kids to school, camp or day care
Working a week in an office building
Swimming in a public pool
Visiting an elderly relative or friend in their home

Moderate-High
Going to a hair salon or barbershop
Eating inside in a restaurant
Attending a wedding or funeral
Traveling by plane
Playing football
Hugging or shaking hands when greeting a friend

High Risk
Eating at a buffet
Working out at a gym
Going to an amusement park
Going to a movie theater
Attending a large music concert
Going to a sports stadium
Attending a religious service with 500+ worshipers
Going to a bar

No risk to rioting I see. :shocked:

Bucco 07-08-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1799687)

LINK to source please

Bucco 07-08-2020 10:32 AM

From the link provided.....

"But before you use this graphic as a roadmap for your life, you should ask yourself a few questions. Ok, maybe it's actually a lot of questions:

"When people are considering an activity or outing, they have to consider variables such as indoors versus outdoors, time spent around others, density of people, shared surfaces and the ability to physical distance," says Dr. Alok Patel, a contributor to KABC's sister station, KGO, for starters.

"For example, the Texas Medical Association chart lists going to the beach as a higher risk than going grocery shopping. However, walking along an empty beach in NorCal's Mendocino County by yourself poses next-to-no COVID-19 risk. Going to a crowded grocery store where no one is wearing masks (not allowed in California, by the way) would pose a relatively higher health risk.

"Then there's the question of any underlying medical conditions you might have, or if you have high-risk members of your household."

"Plus, you should also think about the rate of transmission in your community. Going out to a restaurant Orange County isn't the same risk as going out to eat in NorCal's in Shasta County, for example.
"
The biggest asterisk on all of the activities in the chart? Masks. If people aren't wearing face coverings during any of those activities, the risk factor gets dialed way up."

Gulfcoast 07-08-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1799829)
No risk to rioting I see. :shocked:

They were dying in CHOP, just not from COVID-19.

CFrance 07-08-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1799708)

That works, thanks!

CFrance 07-08-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1799844)
From the link provided.....

"But before you use this graphic as a roadmap for your life, you should ask yourself a few questions. Ok, maybe it's actually a lot of questions:

"When people are considering an activity or outing, they have to consider variables such as indoors versus outdoors, time spent around others, density of people, shared surfaces and the ability to physical distance," says Dr. Alok Patel, a contributor to KABC's sister station, KGO, for starters.

"For example, the Texas Medical Association chart lists going to the beach as a higher risk than going grocery shopping. However, walking along an empty beach in NorCal's Mendocino County by yourself poses next-to-no COVID-19 risk. Going to a crowded grocery store where no one is wearing masks (not allowed in California, by the way) would pose a relatively higher health risk.

"Then there's the question of any underlying medical conditions you might have, or if you have high-risk members of your household."

"Plus, you should also think about the rate of transmission in your community. Going out to a restaurant Orange County isn't the same risk as going out to eat in NorCal's in Shasta County, for example.
"
The biggest asterisk on all of the activities in the chart? Masks. If people aren't wearing face coverings during any of those activities, the risk factor gets dialed way up."

I agree. My hair salon is safer than any grocery store. The owner has taken every seat out that would cause anyone to be closer than about ten feet. She is wearing a mask and gloves. I have watched her personally disinfect every seat, the bathroom, and counter space that each customer uses. Clients have the option to wear masks, and she'll work around it. The room is huge; I bet it's 30' square. There are only two stylists in it. There is no waiting area anymore. Clients are asked to wait in their car until the stylist is ready for them.

I also notice that tennis (and therefore, I maintain, pickleball) is rated safer than golf. I'm sure there is disagreement here on that.

Barefoot 07-09-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1799844)
... snipped ... Masks - if people aren't wearing face coverings during any of those activities, the risk factor gets dialed way up.

:agree:

Barefoot 07-09-2020 10:08 AM

Barefoot 07-09-2020 10:19 AM

I've deleted the last two posts.
I think they would provoke discussion, and I don't want to get in trouble with the Mods.

DeanFL 07-09-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1800420)
There is disagreement about everything on TOTV.
There is even disagreement about whether it's necessary to wear a mask when social distancing isn't possible.

I always say - I could open up a Thread stating "OMG - what a gorgeous day in The Villages!"

...and there would be replies -
I SEE A CLOUD!!!
NO! 5% chance of rain.
NO! The Developer is greedy.
Oh Yeah? Wait till a dog poops on your lawn.
No way! It's too hot!

... you know what I mean...