Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/championship-golf-reasonable-accommodation-changes-1-1-21-a-309044/)

swooner 07-15-2020 01:49 PM

Championship golf - Reasonable Accommodation changes on 1/1/21

Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. No longer is it permissible to get walking relief on the golf course unless you are officially handicapped in accordance with State DMV rules. Despite the fact that I am physically unable to walk from Cart paths to Greens for 18 holes in the blistering sun I am still capable of walking from a non handicap space at a Publix parking lot to go to the front entrance. Therefore, I must be handicapped as defined by Florida DMV rules in order to drive within 15 feet of a putting surface (30 under the proposed rules). Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.

N44125 07-15-2020 01:57 PM

Here’s the link to the revised program...

https://www.golfthevillages.com/whatsnew/Cap2021.pdf

Jayhawk 07-15-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803638)
Have heard from several reliable sources that big changes are coming for the Reasonable Accommodation process on Championship Golf Courses. I suppose this could be a rumor but the sources I have heard this from are internal golf personnel who have been given this information at employee meetings. Here's the scoop:

Effective 1/1/21 current RA system is fazed out. In order to get similar privileges it will be necessary to get a Florida Handicap Placard with all that entails. Basically this means I will have to either get my Dr. to falsify the degree of my walking disability to meet DMV Standards or quit playing golf in the friendly confines of TV. Additionally, I understand that restriction for proximity to greens and tees under the new system will be less advantages than at present.

Interested if anyone can shed further light on this subject.

Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest

Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.

JoMar 07-15-2020 02:35 PM

I thought that was always the requirement? How else were they getting RA's?

N44125 07-15-2020 02:37 PM

Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.

swooner 07-15-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1803649)
Walking distance is the First qualifier. Can you walk 200 feet? If not, your doc won't be lying.

Florida Handicap Parking

Are you eligible for Disabled Person Parking Permits and Plates in Florida?
A physician or certified practitioner has to verify your impaired mobility and eligibility requirements. Specifics that differ from the general eligibility guidelines include:

Required: You can’t walk 200 feet without rest

Find Out if You're Eligible for Florida Handicap Parking.

200 ft without rest. Is that at heat index 90, 95, 100, 110 etc?

drcar 07-15-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1803667)
Doesn’t just apply to Championship Courses, also includes Executive Courses.

This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.

swooner 07-15-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcar (Post 1803735)
This did not start with the Championship courses, the was a mandate from the districts for the executive courses , which the championship courses followed.

So what. Still sucks!

JoMar 07-15-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803738)
So what. Still sucks!

I don't understand.....why does it suck?

kcrazorbackfan 07-15-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1803738)
So what. Still sucks!

Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.

JC419 07-15-2020 08:54 PM

I think the courses were taking a beating from the number of residents who had a reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately, few of the carts were parked 30 feet from the green - most were right on the fringe.

Dahabs 07-16-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1803798)
Still waiting to hear what sucks?

I’m really fed up with a lot of the people with the RA tags destroying all the areas around the tee boxes and greens because they abuse the RA tag privilege.

I see all the time people pulling up next to, and upon, greens and tee boxes, driving between greens and bunkers, pulling up and parking on the approach areas to the greens - enough is enough. I hope the RA rules change and I hope it’s enforced.

Agree. From observation, the program was abused. At least half the golfers I have seen making use of RA could easily make their way to/from tee boxes and greens and cart path.

Jack2659 07-16-2020 04:53 AM

There is a notice on ever starter shack Championship and Executive of this change. The notice clearly tell you for full information go to Golf the Villages

Rwirish 07-16-2020 05:28 AM

Good change, RA’s have been given out like candy. Unfortunately the abuse has lead to damage around the greens.

Goodi70 07-16-2020 05:37 AM

Unfortunately, those who need to heed this are the ones least likely to do so. Enforcement is still an issue as one ambassador can only be in one place at a time.