Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Water with Lemon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/water-lemon-309596/)

rhood 07-30-2020 07:52 AM

Water with Lemon

Why do restaurants assume that everyone wants lemon in their water? I am allergic and if I don’t ask for no lemon I get lemon. When I order coffee, I am nearly always asked if I want cream and sugar (no). Why don’t they do the same for water?

davem4616 07-30-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhood (Post 1810644)
Why do restaurants assume that everyone wants lemon in their water? I am allergic and if I don’t ask for no lemon I get lemon. When I order coffee, I am nearly always asked if I want cream and sugar (no). Why don’t they do the same for water?

the easiest behavior we can change is our own....seems like you just need to continue to say "water, hold the lemon please"

my wife is extremely allergic to crustaceans...we always ask, otherwise it's a trip to the ER

many restaurants put an alert on the order if anyone conveys that they have an allergy and a manager will deliver that dish as a safeguard

stay safe

D.Bolen 07-30-2020 09:54 AM

Lemon can help mask the sometimes-unpleasant taste of tap water.

njbchbum 07-30-2020 10:08 AM

Maybe because lemon in a glass of water helps prevent kidney stones and folks are following their doctor's suggestion? Maybe because diners will simply add a packet of sugar to the glass to make a 'free' glass of lemonade?

I do not enjoy restaurant lemon water and learned long ago to simply ask for water no lemon! When they forget and bring lemon I simply discard the lemon on the placemat.

retiredguy123 07-30-2020 10:57 AM

I don't like it because you don't know if the outside of the lemon is clean.

dewilson58 07-30-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Why??.............no body puts cream or sugar in water.

:1rotfl:

CWGUY 07-30-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

:oops: Then say "No lemon please".

:confused: In 70 years I have never heard of anyone being allergic to lemon ( I'm sure you are ). What happens? Does it make you pucker up? :icon_wink:

DeanFL 07-30-2020 12:55 PM

we DO like lemon in water, adds a nice flavor. BUT depending on the restaurant we sometimes skip as SOMEONE in the back has to slice that lemon, not sure of hygene. I know paranoid, but...

Jayhawk 07-30-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1810728)

If you can trust the inside of the glass is clean, I'd say you are safe with the lemon being clean.

retiredguy123 07-30-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1810779)
If you can trust the inside of the glass is clean, I'd say you are safe with the lemon being clean.

I can't trust that either. That's why I only drink bottled beer, not draft.

JerryLBell 07-30-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1810728)

I've read online (so it HAS to be true, right?) that lemon piece in restaurants are usually the filthiest thing served in bars and restaurants.

I always order "Ice water, no lemon, no straw." About a third of the time, they deliver a glass of water with no lemon, no ice and with a straw. So it's easy to tell people like myself that don't want lemons added to their water in a restaurant or bar setting (I don't mind it at home) but actually getting that can be another matter.

It reminds me of getting an unasked-for pickle with my sandwich at a restaurant. I bloody hate pickles and will say, in no uncertain terms, "And absolutely no pickles anywhere near my plate!" and yet will often get a smelly gherkin with the meal. And very often there is no mention of a pickle in the menu and yet it comes.

Well, I could go on, but it would be more in the vein of "first world problems". Instead, I'm going to try to be calm and just feel fortunate that I live here with my wife among great new friends, am having as much fun as I can in these trying times and the Covid ain't kilt me yet!

roscoguy 07-31-2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

It is odd, and I've wondered when & why the lemon thing began. Being that you are allergic, it will probably have to be up to you to ask for lemon-free water. Good luck with that! If asked, I usually say 'no lemon' but when it arrives it's been 50/50 or so.

The pickle dilemma also mentioned in this thread is one that has stumped me for decades though. I don't hate pickles exactly but have never felt that they enhance the flavor of every imaginable sandwich or the side order of fries that they ooze pickle juice all over. :yuck:

Maybe lemon and pickle farmers own most restaurants??? :icon_wink:

blueash 07-31-2020 07:25 AM

The thing that has always perplexed me is why don't restaurants charge for water. A glass of Coke costs them less than a quarter for the Coke itself, the rest of the $2.59 is partly for the glass, the straw, the washing, the server's time, and profit. But all of those extras are identical for the free water. Add a lemon slice and there is another cost of your free water. So instead of $2.59 they would charge 2.19 for your glass of water.

And the servers who do all the work bringing the free water get no tip where they'd make a little more if the water were billed. Maybe all you water drinkers would consider adding an extra 40 cents to your tip. Just a thought.

NotFromAroundHere 07-31-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 1810779)

I'm almost sure they don't run lemons through a dishwasher.

NotFromAroundHere 07-31-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1810780)
I can't trust that either. That's why I only drink bottled beer, not draft.

What makes you think the inside of the bottle was clean?