Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Political Posts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/political-posts-309641/)

TOTV Team 07-31-2020 11:35 AM

Political Posts

We appreciate all the support and participation on TOTV! Over the past 12 months the traffic to the website has nearly doubled! With 2020 being filled with so many topics users are passionate about we wanted to remind everyone of the rule in the terms of service each user agreed to when they signed up for a user account on TOTV.

Political discussion or references are strictly forbidden on Talk of the Villages and this would include but not be limited to mention of political parties, political individuals or any political topics. Moderators and Administrators retain the right to use their discretion and any politically related or implied thread or post will be removed. If a user continues to disregard this rule then the user account will be issued infractions/suspension.

Obviously moderators are not 24/7 on the website so it may take a few hours to address a reported post, but be advised that any violation of the site rules can lead to infractions on your account and ultimately an account suspension.

Our goal is to never have to moderate a thread or post and to have maximum participation. But the rules have been established and every user has agreed to them and the moderators will work diligently to apply across the site for the purpose of everyone's enjoyment on TOTV.

Thanks in advance!

TOTV Team

crash 07-31-2020 11:41 AM

What about the Trump add in the banner right above your post. Media fair with Trumps picture seems political to me.

Joe V. 07-31-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 1811227)
What about the Trump add in the banner right above your post. Media fair with Trumps picture seems political to me.

I don't see it. Of course I use ad blockers and cookie blockers, etc. It makes everything so much better online.

manaboutown 07-31-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.

Stu from NYC 07-31-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Have seen it before but not there now.

However somebody has to pay for the site.

swooner 07-31-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1811239)
I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.

A political survey of Trumps approval rating is shown on header pages all over TOTV. Open you eyes!

President Trump Weekly Approval Poll | Make America Great Again

zonerboy 07-31-2020 12:28 PM

Makes the whole site boring.

Number 10 GI 07-31-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swooner (Post 1811251)
A political survey of Trumps approval rating is shown on header pages all over TOTV. Open you eyes!

President Trump Weekly Approval Poll | Make America Great Again

I use an ad blocker and don't see any ads. I turned it off and all kinds of google ads popped up so your complaint is with google. Get an ad blocker and lower your blood pressure.

blueash 07-31-2020 01:08 PM

It would be helpful if the moderators gave much more concrete guidance. If you cannot mention a politician, how are there threads about Herman Cain? or John Lewis?
If you can't mention anything that might be political how about all the threads attacking BLM or athletes for supporting BLM?
Can you honestly say that hydroxychloroquine is not now a political topic? Or the deaths in Florida from Covid?
Or deaths in Chicago? Or immigration and DACA? Or the Police? Or all the attacks on the mainstream media which stem almost exclusively from one side of the political aisle?

So more guidance would be helpful especially to avoid any appearance that the moderators might be censoring one side more than the other.

LoisR 07-31-2020 01:14 PM

Money talks.

Goldwingnut 07-31-2020 01:22 PM

Please clearly define what is considered "political" for this website, right now it all seems arbitrary.

retiredguy123 07-31-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1811283)
It would be helpful if the moderators gave much more concrete guidance. If you cannot mention a politician, how are there threads about Herman Cain? or John Lewis?
If you can't mention anything that might be political how about all the threads attacking BLM or athletes for supporting BLM?
Can you honestly say that hydroxychloroquine is not now a political topic? Or the deaths in Florida from Covid?
Or deaths in Chicago? Or immigration and DACA? Or the Police? Or all the attacks on the mainstream media which stem almost exclusively from one side of the political aisle?

So more guidance would be helpful especially to avoid any appearance that the moderators might be censoring one side more than the other.

I agree. I started to comment on the "Trust the Trust Act" thread, but then withdrew my comments because the OP named two senators. But, I see that the thread is still open and people are posting to it. Why?

Lindsyburnsy 07-31-2020 01:31 PM

This site is riddled with political ads. Your ad blocker must be working.

QUOTE=manaboutown;1811239]I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.[/QUOTE]

billethkid 07-31-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1811283)

Easy to know.
If you haven't been contacted by a moderator on what you have been posting or posted then one is doing OK?

Kenswing 07-31-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

They really have no control over some of the ads. They basically sell space to an advertising company who then populates ads based on browsing history.