Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Digital Villages resident ID (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/digital-villages-resident-id-309920/)

Vikingjunior 08-09-2020 10:55 AM

Digital Villages resident ID

Anyone know if there are any plans for a digital ID for the phone so we don’t have to carry around the physical ID.

Or is a picture on your phone of your ID sufficient for pools, recreation centers etc.

ctmurray 08-09-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1815011)
Anyone know if there are any plans for a digital ID for the phone so we don’t have to carry around the physical ID.

Or is a picture on your phone of your ID sufficient for pools, recreation centers etc.

I think this is a good suggestion, Apple iPhones have a Wallet already and it can hold boarding tickets for airlines. So I think the Villages could come up with something. I think a photo would work for the scanners at the rec centers, but a minor problem might be sending a photo to non-Villagers. Good idea though.

retiredguy123 08-09-2020 11:32 AM

A photo of your ID card is not acceptable. You must present the actual ID card.

PaulinTV 08-09-2020 11:34 AM

Not sure about future plans, I would vote a resounding YES!!!!
However we were told by one employee when we forgot ours at the pool that a picture of it was not accepted, couldn't hurt if in a bind, but try to more mindful. My personal issue with the picture is I can never find it on my phone unless I remember the date I took it.

Dgizzi 08-09-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1815011)

I think that is a great idea. They should have both options, some people might not like using their phones like that. Some people don’t like putting too much personal stuff on their phones. And speaking of security in a way. I am wondering what the point is of having gates when they have it posted to “USE YOUR GATE CARD OR PRESS RED BUTTON TO ENTER”!! Anyone & Everyone can come in, so why have gates at all? I have heard about the “red” button duct didn’t think they would advertise it? Just wondering what the logic of that is?

tophcfa 08-09-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgizzi (Post 1815074)
I think that is a great idea. They should have both options, some people might not like using their phones like that. Some people don’t like putting too much personal stuff on their phones. And speaking of security in a way. I am wondering what the point is of having gates when they have it posted to “USE YOUR GATE CARD OR PRESS RED BUTTON TO ENTER”!! Anyone & Everyone can come in, so why have gates at all? I have heard about the “red” button duct didn’t think they would advertise it? Just wondering what the logic of that is?

Two responses. First, I agree they should always have the option of having an actual non digital ID. I for one do not like having my phone surgically attached to me. I rarely bring my phone with me unless I am expecting an important call. Carrying an ID in my money clip is way easier than lugging around a phone. I never bring my phone on a golf course. I am playing golf, not working, and it is extremely inconsiderate to fellow golfers to have your phone making noises while golfing.

Second, the gates have two important purposes. Most importantly, they help automobile and golf cart traffic co-exist. In many places, without the gates slowing cars, it would be very dangerous for golf carts. Also, the gates slow down cars so security cameras can get a picture of each cars license plate. If a crime is committed and a witness can identify an associated automobile, the owner of the vehicle
can be easily identified.

Velvet 08-09-2020 01:02 PM

I like the idea of digital village ID as acceptable beside the paper one. Gates are not for security but to slow cars to give golf carts a chance to get by, ie. Traffic control. Why do people keep thinking the gates are for security reasons?

Dgizzi 08-09-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1815081)
Two responses. First, I agree they should always have the option of having an actual non digital ID. I for one do not like having my phone surgically attached to me. I rarely bring my phone with me unless I am expecting an important call. Carrying an ID in my money clip is way easier than lugging around a phone. I never bring my phone on a golf course. I am playing golf, not working, and it is extremely inconsiderate to fellow golfers to have your phone making noises while golfing.

Second, the gates have two important purposes. Most importantly, they help automobile and golf cart traffic co-exist. In many places, without the gates slowing cars, it would be very dangerous for golf carts. Also, the gates slow down cars so security cameras can get a picture of each cars license plate. If a crime is committed and a witness can identify an associated automobile, the owner of the vehicle

Oh Thank You I never thought about it that way regarding controlling the speed of cars versus golf carts. First time living in a golf cart community. And I did not realize pictures were being taken. Thanks for the info! ☺️

Number 10 GI 08-09-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgizzi (Post 1815074)

It's to give the appearance of a gated community.

Number 10 GI 08-09-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1815081)

The entry gates could work like the exit ones. You have to slow down and come to crawl waiting for the gate to open, it would be just as effective as using a card.

Topspinmo 08-09-2020 03:19 PM

I vote for scamming chip to be installed under the skin.:ohdear:

billethkid 08-09-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1815130)
The entry gates could work like the exit ones. You have to slow down and come to crawl waiting for the gate to open, it would be just as effective as using a card.

Excellent suggestion.

graciegirl 08-09-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1815135)
I vote for scamming chip to be installed under the skin.:ohdear:

You don't have one?????

Altavia 08-09-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1815130)

This is construction mode in the south and works great without using a card or button.

The card/button is redundant and an unnecessary expense.

Topspinmo 08-09-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1815149)
You don't have one?????

Not for village ID:faint: