Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Flu Shots Now Available (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/flu-shots-now-available-310060/)

retiredguy123 08-14-2020 08:03 AM

Flu Shots Now Available

Flu shots are now available. I got mine yesterday at Publix. It may be a little early, but I figured that they may become harder to get than toilet paper was a few months ago. Also, there was a severe shortage of the Shingrix vaccine last year. Who is getting the flu shot?

Stu from NYC 08-14-2020 08:16 AM

We will figure we will wait for our next DR appt in October assuming it is a real visit.

billethkid 08-14-2020 08:34 AM

We will get ours the next time a Rx is due to pick up.

bagboy 08-14-2020 09:21 AM

My wife got shot one of Shingrix this week at Walgreens. Good Rx coupon saved us $27.00. The pharmacist said the flu shots were arriving this week. I think this year sooner is better for getting the flu shot. BTW, the pharmacist said it's safe to get Shingrix, then flu shot, then Shingrix 2, and still be able to get a Covid vaccination when they become available.

Two Bills 08-14-2020 09:28 AM

Did you check that no tracking device was injected at the same time?
Can't be to carefull these days!!:icon_wink:

manaboutown 08-14-2020 09:34 AM

As I understand it flu shots are effective only over a certain time span so I usually get mine in late September. Last year I got a pneumonia shot at the same time. No problem.

Bjeanj 08-14-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1817327)
As I understand it flu shots are effective only over a certain time span so I usually get mine in late September. Last year I got a pneumonia shot at the same time. No problem.

This is what I also heard. Would love for a doctor/retired doctor to comment on this. I usually get my flu shot Oct. 1; I didn’t think about possible shortages.

billethkid 08-14-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1817331)
This is what I also heard. Would love for a doctor/retired doctor to comment on this. I usually get my flu shot Oct. 1; I didn’t think about possible shortages.

SHORTAGES?
Who said shortages?
That will get a villages resident stampede started!!!
There is no more shortage than there has been the last few years....NONE.
Any given location may run out....until they get their next delivery. Results have been more vaccine than those who get the shot.

Less than 50% of population gets flu shots. Last year 162-169 million doses prepared.

retiredguy123 08-14-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1817390)
SHORTAGES?
Who said shortages?
That will get a villages resident stampede started!!!
There is no more shortage than there has been the last few years....NONE.
Any given location may run out....until they get their next delivery. Results have been more vaccine than those who get the shot.

Less than 50% of population gets flu shots. Last year 162-169 million doses prepared.

I don't want to start a stampede. I don't know anything about a shortage. But, I do know that, when the new Shingles vaccine came out, it was readily available, and I got it immediately. No waiting. But, within a few months, there was a 3 to 4 month waiting list for it. Apparently, companies who make these vaccines don't know what the demand will be.

bagboy 08-14-2020 11:55 AM

Good points and questions about the flu shot. It appears that the vaccine lasts approximately 6 months, and the CDC recommends a late October dosage time. So my sooner rather than later comment has changed. One can quickly find information about this online.

golfing eagles 08-14-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1817331)

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1817405)
I don't want to start a stampede. I don't know anything about a shortage. But, I do know that, when the new Shingles vaccine came out, it was readily available, and I got it immediately. No waiting. But, within a few months, there was a 3 to 4 month waiting list for it. Apparently, companies who make these vaccines don't know what the demand will be.

Yes, there is a time limit on the efficacy of seasonal flu vaccine, about 6 months. Waiting until late sept. is a good strategy in cold climates, but here in Florida the flu season tends to end a bit earlier, and it is better to be protected in Dec-Feb than to worry about late April.

As far as the shingles vaccine goes, there are occasional shortages, but the reason is that the process is very similar to manufacturing chicken pox vaccine for kids. So the decision was mad to give the kids priority leading to some periods of backorder for shingles vaccine

retiredguy123 08-14-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1817414)
Good points and questions about the flu shot. It appears that the vaccine lasts approximately 6 months, and the CDC recommends a late October dosage time. So my sooner rather than later comment has changed. One can quickly find information about this online.

Just to clarify, the CDC has not yet made official recommendations for the 2020-2021 flu season vaccine, but they don't anticipate any major changes from last year's recommendations. Last year, they recommended getting the shot by the end of October, but that September and October were good times to get it.

JoMar 08-14-2020 02:43 PM

And there are a couple weeks before the vaccine takes effect. Our plan is Sept - Oct since the season runs through first quarter of next year.

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-14-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1817405)

That's the problem. Vaccines have a shelf life. Each vaccine's shelf life is different. If the demand doesn't meat the availability, they have to destroy the leftovers. It can't be used, at all. That drives the costs up. So they figure out the low-end of what they think they'll need and watch the early trends. If they see the supply running low, they rush to make more. But it still takes time to make more and distribute it all.

I'd personally rather wait a couple months for something, than get it tomorrow and pay another $500 just for the privilege.

bowlingal 08-15-2020 05:20 AM

do they still offer the $10 gift card?