Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Silver Investment Ad (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/silver-investment-ad-310471/)

bobnyce 08-27-2020 12:18 PM

Silver Investment Ad

Did anyone else read the ad for buying silver in the Daily Sun the other day? If so, please note that the .5 oz. bars were apparently selling at $29 which is almost twice the price of silver rounds if I read the ad correctly.

The weight of the Florida bars was buried in the text of the article and I only realized that the price was twice that of one ounce of silver after I took the time to look it up. Buyer beware!

Stu from NYC 08-27-2020 12:56 PM

Amazing how newspaper run adds that are such bad deals for their customers.

Dana1963 08-27-2020 01:43 PM

Newspapers print the add submitted by the seller it’s not up to them to do investment research. As you said BUYER BEWARE

Red White & Blue 08-27-2020 01:59 PM

As of today the price for 1 oz of silver is: $26.98 down .70 cents....
Silver Bar Ingots are a bit higher (design and time to make)..
but yes, Buyers Beware!

retiredguy123 08-27-2020 03:58 PM

If you buy gold or silver coins or ingots, and then sell them back to the seller, you will lose about 8 percent of your money, assuming the market value has not changed. Not a good deal, in my opinion. The television ads for these coins often refer to them as an investment that will grow in value. Gold and silver are not growth investments. They are a commodity speculation.

dewilson58 08-27-2020 04:06 PM

:1rotfl:

wamley 08-28-2020 05:47 AM

Today Price on Silver per Oz.
Silver Spot Price Spot Change
Silver Price per Ounce $27.05 -2.11%

stadry 08-28-2020 06:41 AM

imo, owning hard assets is akin 9mm & .556 - good to have a decent supply

theruizs 08-28-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnyce (Post 1823761)
Did anyone else read the ad for buying silver in the Daily Sun the other day? If so, please note that the .5 oz. bars were apparently selling at $29 which is almost twice the price of silver rounds if I read the ad correctly.

The weight of the Florida bars was buried in the text of the article and I only realized that the price was twice that of one ounce of silver after I took the time to look it up. Buyer beware!

As of 8:05 this morning silver spot is $27.87. It is common to see bars and rounds priced a few dollars above spot, but twice the price is crazy. Some older bars and rounds are collectable and may sell higher, but that is a different kind of market.

theruizs 08-28-2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1823882)
If you buy gold or silver coins or ingots, and then sell them back to the seller, you will lose about 8 percent of your money, assuming the market value has not changed. Not a good deal, in my opinion. The television ads for these coins often refer to them as an investment that will grow in value. Gold and silver are not growth investments. They are a commodity speculation.

If you do it right, they can be a hedge against down markets. You don’t buy and quickly sell gold and silver any more than you would stocks. Both are a long term game.

lkagele 08-28-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Gold and silver are not growth investments. They are a commodity speculation.

I'll respectfully disagree. Gold and silver are an age-old way to store wealth. The purchasing power of the dollar has steadily declined since Nixon took the US off the gold standard. Factoring in inflation, real interest rates currently provide a negative yield. The Fed is currently printing 'thin air money' and the government is spending literally trillions of dollars that really don't exist. Gold and silver are a far better way to maintain wealth without losing value like our fiat currency does.

FredJacobs 08-28-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

They aren't really selling gold or silver. They are selling COLLECTIBLES made of gold or silver. Most of the growth in value is expected to come from the value of your collection. Also, they don't tell you that the capital gains tax rate is higher for collectibles - currently 28%.

Win1894 08-28-2020 08:52 AM

There are all kinds of deceptive ads in our paper: gold and silver (and other precious metals), coins, worthless collectibles, back and joint pain treatments, dietary supplements, brain food, alternative arthritis treatments, nerve damage treatments, hearing aids - and the list goes on. I don't know if there is any policing of this by the paper or if they take on all comers, but in my opinion these ads are designed to prey on the elderly population and especially those suffering from some degree of debilitation and feeling some level of desperation. Regarding the medical treatments, just know that almost none are supported by a properly conducted double blinded clinical study. Buyer beware - don't be taken in by fancy sounding, too good to be true ads.

noslices1 08-28-2020 08:59 AM

Silver price

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamley (Post 1824013)
Today Price on Silver per Oz.
Silver Spot Price Spot Change
Silver Price per Ounce $27.05 -2.11%

For the last five years, silver has been around $16.00 with TV ads saying it was bound to go back up. It took a while, but a rapid increase in price happened recently. I wonder if the pandemic had anything to do with it.

Stormylc 08-28-2020 09:25 AM

Spot price of 1 ounce of silver is, as of this morning at 10am, $27.55; therefore, for 1/2 ounce to be selling at $29 is a total scam.