Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   New Carl Hiassen Comedy to Read! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/new-carl-hiassen-comedy-read-310703/)

MandoMan 09-02-2020 07:42 AM

New Carl Hiassen Comedy to Read!

There are a number of wonderful Florida novelists who write what I call “Comic Crime Capers.” None is better than Carl Hiassen. He has a new novel out called “Squeeze Me.” If you are amused by the weird things that happen in Florida that are even more bizarre than any novel, you may well like this book. Get ready to laugh hard. Remember the ex-Florida governor who lives in a swamp, eats road-kill, and wears only boots and a shower cap? Remember the guy who has his amputated arm replaced with a weed-whacker he uses to attack people? Remember the guy who breaks into nursing homes to steal Fentanyl pain patches off of sleeping patients, then falls for one of the women? All Hiassen. Most villains get what they have coming. The punishment usually fits the crime.

I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve just read the review of it below.
A Python Ate the President’s Neighbor? Only in Carl Hiaasen’s Florida - The New York Times

JerryLBell 09-06-2020 02:31 PM

This is next in my list of books to read. It was brought to my attention by another thread on this forum. Any new Hiassen book is a cause to celebrate!

Bjeanj 09-06-2020 02:48 PM

My husband and I both love Hiaasen. You end up sitting there just chuckling while you’re reading about a ludicrous situation. Sometimes laugh out loud.

oldtimes 09-06-2020 04:04 PM

I have reserved this at the library. Thanks for the tip.

Boomer 09-06-2020 06:27 PM

I am half way through it. It’s Hiaasen at his best. I love his writing style. That man sure can turn a phrase.

The characters are classic Carl. (Mastodon wants to go to the zoo to see the animal he is code-named after. They have to tell him the mastodons are on loan to a zoo in another country.)

All the facts about pythons are true though so you get a little herpetology thrown in. Pythons have been let loose by people who had them as pets — and then decided that was not a good plan. A hurricane took out a reptile farm years ago and the snakes got loose and thrived. Pythons are alive and well in Florida.

Boomer 10-09-2020 05:10 PM

Skink does not show up until the bottom of page 219.

And — Carl (I call him Carl — I have been reading him for 30 years) anyway, Carl describes Skink as an “old man.”

When did Skink get old? (sigh)

Boomer

Polar Bear 10-09-2020 05:24 PM

I’m definitely reading this book. But one question...

Would it be a good idea to read Hiaasen in any particular order? Or would it be okay to start with this latest one?

(Also, I hear you may not like the book if you like Trump. Do all his books make political statements? :) )

Boomer 10-09-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear;184515m0
I’m definitely reading this book. But one question...

Would it be a good idea to read Hiaasen in any particular order? Or would it be okay to start with this latest one?

(Also, I hear you may not like the book if you like Trump. Do all his books make political statements? :) )

No particular order necessary. Skink is a recurring character, but this is the first time — I think so anyway — that Carl aged him. (I might be wrong about that. I’m no Marilou Henner— with that type memory. . .that I can’t remember the name of. :))

Skink is an ex-governor of Florida who gave up politics and disappeared into the Everglades when he could no longer tolerate the b&@#&%i/. He emerges in the storylines when it is time to administer his unique brand of justice. Hiaasen fans are always glad to see the villains get what’s coming to them. Skink takes care of things in his own creative way.

If you go to carlhiaasen.com and click on the tab that says Books for Grownups, you’ll see all his titles.
He also writes books for young middle school age kids.

The first one I read was Stormy Weather. It’s about the types of cons who crawl out from under rocks after a hurricane. I think my favorite over the years was Skin Tight.

His books are not going to win any Pulitzers. They are just fun to read.

Boomer

CWGUY 10-09-2020 11:52 PM

:) My favorite is "Double Whammy " and I think it was the first appearance of Skink too. :read:

davem4616 10-10-2020 09:38 AM

Thanks for posting this....we're about to escape to the beach for a week and I needed some book ideas

I hadn't read any of his work previously

Polar Bear 10-10-2020 10:05 AM

Still interested, but I would still like to know if his books make political statements or anything like that? I don’t want my pleasure reading to be political, even if I might agree with the leanings. :)

oldtimes 10-10-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1845404)
Still interested, but I would still like to know if his books make political statements or anything like that? I don’t want my pleasure reading to be political, even if I might agree with the leanings. :)

This book is a parody on Trump. If you are a supporter you may be offended. It is however very funny if you can get by that.