Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Course closures due to excessive rain (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/course-closures-due-excessive-rain-310997/)

Jazzman 09-11-2020 10:33 AM

Course closures due to excessive rain

Evans Prairies has been closed for three weeks or so due to excessive water on course as a result of rain. So can anyone tell me why the irrigation system has been on for three plus hours watering the fairway and green on the fourth hole that runs along Hendley opposite Big Cypress rec center? Even a section of Palmetto executive course, the irrigation system on a portion that abuts Pinellas has been on since 7:30 am this morning and is still on four hours later. Does anyone monitor these systems to see if they’re working correctly

dewilson58 09-11-2020 10:35 AM

keeping the ponds at a certain level during hurricane season??

:shrug:

tophcfa 09-11-2020 12:08 PM

The courses are designed as flood planes during times of excessive rains. As stated, the sprinklers are run even when not seemingly needed, to lower water levels in water retention ponds. We are currently in peak hurricane season so these ponds water levels need to be managed just in case. After hurricane Irma all Golf was temporarily closed and irrigation systems were constantly running.

Two Bills 09-11-2020 12:12 PM

No one knows where the 'off' switch is!

Jazzman 09-11-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1831516)
The courses are designed as flood planes during times of excessive rains. As stated, the sprinklers are run even when not seemingly needed, to lower water levels in water retention ponds. We are currently in peak hurricane season so these ponds water levels need to be managed just in case. After hurricane Irma all Golf was temporarily closed and irrigation systems were constantly running.

So if the course is currently waterlogged and you are running the sprinklers to manage the pond level, where does the water wind up? Back in the pond if the fairways and course in general is sloped correctly

dewilson58 09-11-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzman (Post 1831534)
So if the course is currently waterlogged and you are running the sprinklers to manage the pond level, where does the water wind up? Back in the pond if the fairways and course in general is sloped correctly

The course is not 100% waterlogged. Some of the irrigation water soaks in. Every bit helps. It's a sound practice and has helped us in the past.

tophcfa 09-11-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

I guess that depends on where the water is being pumped from to feed the irrigation system. I have to believe the water is not being pumped out from a pond and shot up in the air right next to the same pond.

raynan 09-11-2020 05:34 PM

I can tell you that Yankee Clipper is very squishy everywhere. They had cart path only but it should have been closed today.

tophcfa 09-11-2020 08:45 PM

Having the golf courses designed as a high rain season flood plains of last resort is actually a very good thing. This should help make it very difficult to build other types of developments on the golf courses and increase the probability of them staying as golf courses. Obviously the same can not be said for the club houses containing the pro shops and restaurants. I suppose having the golf courses second as flood plains would not stop them from being converted into walking trails?

thevillages2013 09-12-2020 05:02 AM

Evaporation

Quote:

Same reason you don’t water your lawn in the middle of the day. When the water is distributed by the sprinklers it will evaporate more rapidly in the sunshine . It sure is putting a crunch on tee times with Evans Prairie closed and 9 closed on all the other 27 hole courses on the weekend.

Rwirish 09-12-2020 05:34 AM

This is a smart practice and has been explained every year.

greenflash245 09-12-2020 08:55 AM

they set the timer and go take a nap

asianthree 09-12-2020 08:58 AM

TV controls the ponds so my house doesn’t get flooded by the acre pond that is up 12 feet, and About to flow into the road, to my house. I am good with a golf course closed so the irrigation can empty the pond.

Qmsp@aol.com 09-12-2020 09:04 AM

They have to to reduce the water storage in the ponds

bear1302 09-12-2020 10:14 AM

Evaporation of excess water