Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Nuts and bolts of The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/)
-   -   Builder's new home warranty- Did inspection find problems ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/builders-new-home-warranty-did-inspection-find-problems-311072/)

mvbird 09-14-2020 10:58 AM

Builder's new home warranty- Did inspection find problems ?

For the many of you who have bought new home construction south of Rt 44-- - Did you hire someone to inspect your new home before the 1 year warranty period ended ? Were problems discovered that had to be fixed? Did you wait until the year was almost up ? We're planning to wait until at least 60 days before our closing anniversary. Will also try to hire someone who knows what to look at and where to look.

retiredguy123 09-14-2020 11:27 AM

I would recommend you call Frank D'Angelo, 352-250-7818, and get on his inspection schedule, so he can do your inspection before the warranty expires. There are other inspectors, but he is one of the most popular and probably the best. He will find items to fix and the builder will take all of his comments seriously.

davem4616 09-14-2020 11:48 AM

we had an inspector come about 3 months before the year was up...
everything was fixed rather quickly...some days we had multiple people showing up

cmj1210 09-14-2020 11:49 AM

I think that depends on your background. My husband inspected our house over the course of the year and we called warranty and had the issues resolved. He does have experience with building, electrical, plumbing etc so we decided he could do his own. If this is not your expertise then I would suggest hiring Frank.

Number 10 GI 09-14-2020 11:58 AM

Have your home inspected. This provides documentation by a third party as to the problems found.

dewilson58 09-14-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmj1210 (Post 1832844)
I think that depends on your background. My husband inspected our house over the course of the year and we called warranty and had the issues resolved. He does have experience with building, electrical, plumbing etc so we decided he could do his own. If this is not your expertise then I would suggest hiring Frank.

Agree. We did our own years ago and nothing has surprised us since..

Michread 09-14-2020 01:47 PM

Do you do a home inspection before closing on a new built home?

dewilson58 09-14-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michread (Post 1832885)
Do you do a home inspection before closing on a new built home?

You can, but you have one year to turn issues in..........so wait and see if other issues arise.

DAIII 09-14-2020 02:19 PM

It's cheap money to have it inspected and they provide a nice binder with photos and they contact the warranty dept to line up correctives for you. For me they found cracks in ceiling (I wouldn't have noticed) and more surprising they found missing shingles and each stink pipe had the lead wrapped clear over the top of the pipe so the toilets struggled to get air to flush. I was never going to be on the roof to notice this. I asked the builder person who came out to fix all of the items, I said did they build my house on a Friday? He said nope they all have these same missing or incomplete items. - bottom line spend the $ and get it looked at prior to the 1 year new home warranty expires.

retiredguy123 09-14-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1832887)
You can, but you have one year to turn issues in..........so wait and see if other issues arise.

I agree. But, if your AC stops working, your power is off, your toilets are overflowing, and your roof is leaking, I wouldn't wait too long.

Dilligas 09-15-2020 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvbird (Post 1832814)
For the many of you who have bought new home construction south of Rt 44-- - Did you hire someone to inspect your new home before the 1 year warranty period ended ? Were problems discovered that had to be fixed? Did you wait until the year was almost up ? We're planning to wait until at least 60 days before our closing anniversary. Will also try to hire someone who knows what to look at and where to look.

You can wait until the last 30-60 days for the inspection but you need to call and get that date confirmed with the inspector. When we did it, the first one I called was booked up for a couple months. Use an inspector rather than doing it yourself. You can always point out your concerns to him.

Rsenholzi 09-15-2020 06:04 AM

I agree Frank D’Angelo was great but call and get yourself on his schedule well ahead of time. He found a window needed to be replaced even down to nails missing on the roof. Certainly get the inspection , you won’t be sorry

Gunny2403 09-15-2020 06:13 AM

I am purchasing a villa soon and need to have it inspected quickly. Would appreciate any recommendations

stadry 09-15-2020 06:28 AM

knew frank but he was busy & recommended tom comer who did a great job for us

oemsp1 09-15-2020 06:42 AM

Get it lined up well in advance. The inspectors are pretty booked.