Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   And You Think We Have Issues in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/you-think-we-have-issues-villages-311086/)

Mleeja 09-14-2020 09:18 PM

And You Think We Have Issues in The Villages

Reading this article reminded me of some of the issues The Villages.

Residents of Jupiter Bear’s Club grapple with Jack Nicklaus, lawsuits

davem4616 09-14-2020 09:34 PM

interesting article...goes to show once again that money can't buy happiness

We left an HOA community when we came to TV....we'd had enough of listening to the bickering that goes on within HOA's and liked the set up we saw in TV

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-15-2020 06:52 AM

In my experience, the worst thing that can happen in a community like this is that the residents take over. People with their own little agenda tend to get on the board and make life hell for the rest of the residents.

Communities are much better managed by impartial professionals.

starflyte1 09-15-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1833006)
Reading this article reminded me of some of the issues The Villages.

Residents of Jupiter Bear’s Club grapple with Jack Nicklaus, lawsuits

Thanks for posting! Interesting.

davem4616 09-15-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1833071)
In my experience, the worst thing that can happen in a community like this is that the residents take over. People with their own little agenda tend to get on the board and make life hell for the rest of the residents.

you are spot on!

jacksonbrown 09-15-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Impartial?

Here, in The Villages, whom might that be?

billethkid 09-15-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Let us hope there never comes the day when the residents take over to "manage" TV!!!!!!

Stu from NYC 09-15-2020 12:10 PM

Years ago while living in NYC was on the board managing the co-op we lived in and than a second one when we moved.

It was an elected position and think the residents voted wisely and both co-ops were well managed and run.

When the money comes out of your pocket people start voting for people wisely in my experience.

biker1 09-15-2020 12:38 PM

I believe the CDD boards are essentially filled with elected residents.

Quote:

SacDQ 09-15-2020 12:40 PM

Having lived in a smaller New England town and being involved in politics the developers always had one interest 💰💰💰💰. I successfully ran and was elected to the P&Z board. I fought for a balance of small business and private home owners and the major development projects purposed. Public hears and the zoning regulations were the bases for all of the boards decision.

We also had a a Zoning Appeals board process and the state court system as a last resort.

Control in the sole hands of developers is not the way to happiness for the General public and home owners.

Topspinmo 09-15-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1833278)

I thought the board members vote on them from people wanting the job? If so residents has nothing to do with it?

Joe V. 09-15-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1833263)
Let us hope there never comes the day when the residents take over to "manage" TV!!!!!!

Always beware of incorporation zealots. Has happened all across the country.

twoplanekid 09-15-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1833278)

Please note that CDDs were originally created by the Florida legislature to help developers build new communities and then have residents elect their own supervisors to run the government. The Villages is a unique instance were the Developer does retain control of the 3 commercial CDDs which are setup as kind of master CDDs with all residential CDDs eventually having locally elected representation. So, it a CDD mixture of both private and local citizens control with for some reason the commercial CDDs having more influence over everything. I don’t believe that this mixture was the intent of the original CDD legislation.

Nucky 09-15-2020 01:55 PM

Welcome to Boca Del Vista! Stellaaaaaaa!

Mleeja 09-15-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1833263)

I do not know which district you live, but in at least CDDs 1-7, all the supervisors are elected residents. The AAC north of 466 are all elected representatives. In at least 1/2 of The Villages, the inmates are running the asylum.