Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   New roofs causing higher insurance rates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/new-roofs-causing-higher-insurance-rates-311104/)

MNJohnson 09-15-2020 10:17 AM

New roofs causing higher insurance rates

When I received our homeowners policy and noticed the significant increase in our annual premium, I started doing some research. Please be aware that these roofing companies are preying on the elderly who will believe what they are told since most are unable to see the roof themselves. They are also having you sign an assignment of benefits saying that they will take care of your roof for you with no money out of pocket. The reason is that by signing that form, you are waiving your negotiating power and allowing them to charge your insurance company whatever they please for your new roof. This then raises everyone's insurance premiums. If you look at switching insurance companies now when your rates are high, you also will need a roof that is less than 14 years old for them to consider taking you. All of these claims and new roofs that probably weren't necessary are causing everyone's rates to go up.

I encourage you to google: assignment of benefits Florida, for more information on the form roofers are having you sign.

Be extremely cautious of people who come around knocking on your door offering services! Most are out to take advantage of you. Do your research and take your time with making decisions.

pauld315 09-15-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNJohnson (Post 1833222)
When I received our homeowners policy and noticed the significant increase in our annual premium, I started doing some research. Please be aware that these roofing companies are preying on the elderly who will believe what they are told since most are unable to see the roof themselves. They are also having you sign an assignment of benefits saying that they will take care of your roof for you with no money out of pocket. The reason is that by signing that form, you are waiving your negotiating power and allowing them to charge your insurance company whatever they please for your new roof. This then raises everyone's insurance premiums. If you look at switching insurance companies now when your rates are high, you also will need a roof that is less than 14 years old for them to consider taking you. All of these claims and new roofs that probably weren't necessary are causing everyone's rates to go up.

I encourage you to google: assignment of benefits Florida, for more information on the form roofers are having you sign.

Be extremely cautious of people who come around knocking on your door offering services! Most are out to take advantage of you. Do your research and take your time with making decisions.

Same thing happened several years ago in the area I lived in North Carolina. By the time it was all said and done, everybody's insurance went up around 50%. Somebody has to pay for these.

Chi-Town 09-15-2020 10:15 PM

An insurance adjuster checks your roof to see if needs repair or a new one. It's up to them.

Topspinmo 09-15-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1833448)
An insurance adjuster checks your roof to see if needs repair or a new one. It's up to them.

Supposedly Not in Florida roof scammer’s have lawyer That sue’s insurance company and the victim turns over claim to them, but that don’t mean they will not come back later and demand more money? Daily sun had article on state representative on this scam technique and law makers are looking into it? But, we know the power of lobbyist and ????

EdFNJ 09-15-2020 10:41 PM

Agreed. Roofers are quite busy around here. Have had a number of sales people trying to convince me my 6 yr old roof needs to be replaced. Previous discussion here: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...highlight=roof

JimJohnson 09-16-2020 02:03 AM

Something smells! Contact your insurance agent for the truth.

Leadbone1 09-16-2020 05:08 AM

A lot of the information in your post is not correct but yes due to the amount of roofs that have been put on in this ZIP Code, insurance rates have gone up especially if you happen to have an older roof. It’s not that the premium has gone up that much, they have raised the wind and hail deductible significantly if your roof is beyond a certain age. Pretty much forces you to replace any roof that’s more than 17 or 18 years old

Skunky1 09-16-2020 05:20 AM

I actually have a video showing one of the roofing contractors doing an inspection and sabotaging the roof. If you’re going to have your roof inspected by a roofing contractor you need to watch them while they’re doing the inspections.

JGVillages 09-16-2020 05:27 AM

If the insurance company’s inspector and the in house adjuster approves he claim as damage replacement then why would you not replace? As in any major home repair situation always do your due diligence before signing a contract. Before coming here I lived in Charlotte County FL. After 2 hurricanes our homeowner’s insurance nearly doubled, yet our home only had minor issues. Whether you like it or not we all pay for the natural storm damage in higher rates, and in all cases that includes ones that fall prey to scammers adding to the increases. DUE DILIGENCE!

zamory 09-16-2020 05:41 AM

Quote:

That is 100% wrong. Insurance rates are raised when a disaster is declared and when the insurance company asks the state for permission to raise rates. You are right, an Aob is not a good idea with a greedy roofer but on the other band it ensures the contractor gets paid. I’ve had many customers over the years pocket the insurance money. If any one wants to know the truth about the insurance process feel free to contact me.

allsport 09-16-2020 06:31 AM

Yes there are companies doing that but my insurance cancelled my policy in 2019 because they could. I had one claim since 2007 for $800 and that was the end. I tried to get coverage and no one would insure me because my roof was too old. So I called a roofing company to get a new roof and they took one look at the roof and said I had lots of damage from wind. I did have some shingles off. The end game of the story was that the company that cancelled me for that little claim ended up buying me a brand new roof and that was what I call poetic justice. I would never have replaced the roof had they not cancelled my policy and given me six months notice to do find someone else.

MandoMan 09-16-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1833450)
Supposedly Not in Florida roof scammer’s have lawyer That sue’s insurance company and the victim turns over claim to them, but that don’t mean they will not come back later and demand more money? Daily sun had article on state representative on this scam technique and law makers are looking into it? But, we know the power of lobbyist and ????

Going to court against a roof scammer’s lawyer generally costs the insurance company as much as it would cost to just pay for the repair, and it risks losing a customer for good if the repair is denied, and then that customer tells all his or her friends. This means higher insurance for everyone, but especially for the person who made the claim. And if people are close to needing a new roof, and they’ve been paying for insurance for years with no claims, and all their friends are getting new roofs, they figure they’d be suckers to be honest and admit that they have an old roof and should pay for this themselves.

Skunky1 09-16-2020 06:53 AM

Free roof inspection

Really? That free roof inspection will cost you dearly. The first thing the roofing company did was to send a solicitor to your door in total disrespect of You and the rules of the villages.Take their business card and report them to your insurance company. Better yet report them to the state insurance commission.

wiltma 09-16-2020 07:13 AM

New roof

Quote:

Funny thing. I ask roofer to take a look at ours and he did. He showed me pictures of damage. Put in claim and insurance adjuster came out and agreed on the damage. We had a hail storm. Got a new roof for deductible. Just got my new premium and cost went down $25. I think people are jealous but I’m sure there are scam roofers out there so be careful

1948JDG 09-16-2020 07:14 AM

OMG, Can't imagine what the insurance rates will be out West after all the fires are out. I don't think it would be a good idea to rebuild in that area.