Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Deed Restrictions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/deed-restrictions-311349/)

golfer3232 09-23-2020 10:47 AM

Deed Restrictions

Has anyone else received a letter from a lawyer that a political sign is a window is a violation of the deed restrictions and if you have what have you done about it.

It is from a lawyer representing The Villages and yes I do have a political sign in my window, but so do many other homes. I guess my real question is have other people received the same type letter. I understand that technically it is a violation of the deed restrictions, but it is OK to run a political message on a flag pole, but not in a window?

Joe V. 09-23-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer3232 (Post 1837253)
Has anyone else received a letter from a lawyer that a political sign is a window is a violation of the deed restrictions and if you have what have you done about it.

Who is the lawyer representing?

Goldwingnut 09-23-2020 11:37 AM

Read your deed restrictions, in most areas you are limited to one 12x12 For Sale sign in a front window, nothing else. If you have anything else, you are in violation of the restrictions. This is not a freedom of speach issue, you agreed to giving up this freedom when you purchased your home and agreed to the deed restrictions. Ignorance of what you agreed to is not a defense for these violations.

retiredguy123 09-23-2020 11:52 AM

I think that almost every outside real estate company violates the "for sale" sign rule. They are too large, they often have more than one sign, and they are often placed on the garage door, not inside a window.

JoMar 09-23-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1837295)
I think that almost every outside real estate company violates the "for sale" sign rule. They are too large, they often have more than one sign, and they are often placed on the garage door, not inside a window.

And evidently everyone is ok with that. Not so much with political signs.

Stu from NYC 09-23-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1837306)
And evidently everyone is ok with that. Not so much with political signs.

Very interesting.

and just like everyone else around here we did not read the deed restrictions.

kathyspear 09-23-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't notices of violations come from TV and not some lawyer? I'm wondering if the letter is from a neighbor (who may or may not be a lawyer him or herself) who doesn't care for your choice of candidate.

kathy

Bogie Shooter 09-23-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Name of lawyer?
Do you have a sign?
What does the letter tell you to do?

Why not call: Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912

EdFNJ 09-23-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

I guess we're one of the few people who actually read deed restrictions BEFORE buying a home here. :) As for what you can do about it depending on the COMPLETE facts and assuming it is from T.V. I would guess your only option is to appeal and then make a legal case out of it but you will likely be SOL.

However without providing details as Mr Bogie suggests like: Name of lawyer? (was it from The Villages?), What does the letter tell you to do? this thread basically just becomes just another generic deed restriction thread because no one really knows the facts behind it. Can't imagine why an outside lawyer would send a letter relating to deed restrictions or if s/he would even have any standing in that matter.

vintageogauge 09-23-2020 04:07 PM

All the violation letters come from an attorney however someone has to turn you in first.

EdFNJ 09-23-2020 05:07 PM

Are retail businesses in the squares also bound by any sort of deed restrictions such as non-business related signs in their windows?

Joe V. 09-23-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1837468)
Are retail businesses in the squares also bound by any sort of deed restrictions such as non-business related signs in their windows?

What sort of non-business signs are you referring to?

wisbad1 09-23-2020 05:38 PM

More BS, lawyers name?

SIRE1 09-23-2020 06:24 PM

Also, be careful about asking a blanket question about deed restriction. The items in your deed restriction apply to restriction of your CDD district and are not the same across the entire villages. So something that might be acceptable in one Village may not be acceptable in another. You will find that as The Villages grew, a lot more restrictions were added to the newer areas. So the areas north of 466 aren't the same as south of 466, and I suspect that the areas south of 44 may have some differences to those north of 44. Just wait till you see the deed restrictions for those villages that will be eventually built south of I - 4 :icon_wink:

pauld315 09-23-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1837295)

Depends on where you live, read the restrictions for your area