Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Chop House $43 grouper!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/chop-house-43-grouper-311430/)

Quiltedviews 09-25-2020 06:48 PM

Chop House $43 grouper!!!

My husband and I went to the Chop House in LSL tonight to celebrate our anniversary. All was well until the bill came. Their grouper special: a piece of grouper, plus either 3 shrimp or 3 scallops, and 2 sides: $43!! I asked the waitress why she didn’t tell us the price when she described the special (I would never have ordered it if I had known it was $43), she said they only tell you prices if you ask. So I am posting this to advise you that if you order a special at the Chop House, ask the price before ordering!! We will never go there again after this experience.

thelegges 09-25-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiltedviews (Post 1838381)
My husband and I went to the Chop House in LSL tonight to celebrate our anniversary. All was well until the bill came. Their grouper special: a piece of grouper, plus either 3 shrimp or 3 scallops, and 2 sides: $43!! I asked the waitress why she didn’t tell us the price when she described the special (I would never have ordered it if I had known it was $43), she said they only tell you prices if you ask. So I am posting this to advise you that if you order a special at the Chop House, ask the price before ordering!! We will never go there again after this experience.

Sorry, but we always ask price on specials, if not listed on a board or menu.
If you look at their menu, there are items at market price. Would you not ask what the market price was before you ordered? Their dinners are in the $30 range and up.

dewilson58 09-25-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$43 is steeeeeeeeeeep for group.

What's important............you had an anniversary together.

retiredguy123 09-25-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1838386)
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$43 is steeeeeeeeeeep for group.

What's important............you had an anniversary together.

Your finger seems to be stuck on the keyboard. Better get that checked out.

Dana1963 09-25-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Thank You for the heads up.
Happy Anniversary

jane032657 09-25-2020 08:34 PM

We live at the beach part of the year and I frequent the local fish market. Grouper is usually about $23-26 a pound depending on when you buy it and what type of grouper.

Stu from NYC 09-25-2020 08:40 PM

For that price hope it was a good grouper

mrfixit 09-25-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

My husband and I went to the Chop House in LSL tonight to celebrate our anniversary. .

Mr. & Mrs. Quiltedviews.....

....Here's to another year of being great together.....

Your wedding day may come and go.......
...................but may your love forever grow.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

May God Bless You and yours, abundantly

DeanFL 09-25-2020 09:29 PM

...this is one of my (many) pet peeves.

1. Stating the price of 'specials' should really be standard practice.
2. I always felt that it sounded "cheap" to ask the price of a Special.
2a "Market Price" is one thing, but a standard 'special' is another.
2b. One can feel 'cheap' asking, especially in a Group lunch/dinner.
3. But I'd rather be looked upon as "cheap" than feel 'gouged', as the OP.

re #2, perhaps it's a psycholgical matter employed for profit $$$.

Buyer beware, and don't be shy.

BryanTheGolfPro 09-26-2020 05:01 AM

Are they not proud of the price they charge? No. Not a selling point, so . . . Several restaurants have opened and closed in this location over the last several years. What's the "over & under" on this one???

Maryland04 09-26-2020 05:08 AM

This not a naeighborhood dive, get real.

RDhot 09-26-2020 05:13 AM

Why didN’t you ask the price? I never order a special or anything that I do not know the price of first.

Rwirish 09-26-2020 05:26 AM

Price sounds about right for Grouper.

Raton270 09-26-2020 06:00 AM

One of the best meals in the Villages

Neils 09-26-2020 06:02 AM

Maybe time for new glasses. The name is “Chop House” not “Cheap House”.

Happy anniversary