Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   2nd Wave?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/2nd-wave-312056/)

gatorbill1 10-15-2020 10:35 AM

2nd Wave??

Our number of cases doesn't look good today. Looks like it is not going away and scientists were correct in our getting a second wave of virus.
I am hunkering down as I have been since start. There will be a lot less Villagers if everybody thinks it is over.

Toymeister 10-15-2020 10:46 AM

Since the dawn of time there is one and only one cure for any virus, exposure. Be it from a vaccine or the the virus itself.

Thus be prepared to 'hunker down' for years. Or accept risks in your life as you have and continue to accept for the remainder of your life for virtually every activity in life.

And I will accept risks and enjoy life by not hunkering down.

Dana1963 10-15-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1847672)
Our number of cases doesn't look good today. Looks like it is not going away and scientists were correct in our getting a second wave of virus.
I am hunkering down as I have been since start. There will be a lot less Villagers if everybody thinks it is over.

Thursday’s Coronavirus Updates: 3,356 new cases, 141 new deaths reported in Florida.
WINK NEWS

golfing eagles 10-15-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana1963 (Post 1847705)
Thursday’s Coronavirus Updates: 3,356 new cases, 141 new deaths reported in Florida.
WINK NEWS

Florida Dept. of Health:

3,330 new cases
2 deaths

oldtimes 10-15-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1847737)
Florida Dept. of Health:

3,330 new cases
2 deaths

Given your expertise what is your recommendation of what people can sensibly do to protect themselves? I am not being snarky, I am genuinely interested in your opinion.

rde3036 10-15-2020 01:07 PM

The number of cases is meaningless.

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

This is not a virus like Ebloa. Get out and enjoy life!

gatorbill1 10-15-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rde3036 (Post 1847754)
The number of cases is meaningless.

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

This is not a virus like Ebloa. Get out and enjoy life!

Tell that to the person who's spouse was one of the .05%

golfing eagles 10-15-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtimes (Post 1847753)
Given your expertise what is your recommendation of what people can sensibly do to protect themselves? I am not being snarky, I am genuinely interested in your opinion.

First and foremost, social distancing. It is very hard to contract this virus from more than 6 feet away, even without a mask and especially outdoors.

Second, mask in the appropriate setting. Mostly when you cannot guarantee social distancing, and especially indoors when people are getting within 6 feet. But remember, a mask is not a suit of armor against this virus, it offers minimal protection for the wearer. It helps protect other people to a degree if not distanced. Keep in mind, however, to get the virus from another, that person has to be spewing droplets in your vicinity, he has to be positive for COVID, and in the infective stage as well, plus deliver enough of an inoculum to infect you. The odds are low, but if they were zero, there would be no pandemic. There is no need to worship at the altar of the holy mask, wear it to bed or while driving alone, etc.

Third, while there is little evidence of surface to human infection, it can't hurt to wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. There are plenty of other germs out there that can be avoided in this fashion

Hope that answers your question

CoachKandSportsguy 10-15-2020 01:36 PM

There is a growing belief that viral load determines the severity of your infection. Therefore, don't stay inside long without adequate outside air ventilation, and wearing a mask will help stopsome inbound virus. However, the key is not a long exposure, and be sure to take Vitamin D, the fresh outdoor sunshine vitamin.

oldtimes 10-15-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1847759)
First and foremost, social distancing. It is very hard to contract this virus from more than 6 feet away, even without a mask and especially outdoors.

Second, mask in the appropriate setting. Mostly when you cannot guarantee social distancing, and especially indoors when people are getting within 6 feet. But remember, a mask is not a suit of armor against this virus, it offers minimal protection for the wearer. It helps protect other people to a degree if not distanced. Keep in mind, however, to get the virus from another, that person has to be spewing droplets in your vicinity, he has to be positive for COVID, and in the infective stage as well, plus deliver enough of an inoculum to infect you. The odds are low, but if they were zero, there would be no pandemic. There is no need to worship at the altar of the holy mask, wear it to bed or while driving alone, etc.

Third, while there is little evidence of surface to human infection, it can't hurt to wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. There are plenty of other germs out there that can be avoided in this fashion

Hope that answers your question

Thank you that is very helpful.

Villageswimmer 10-15-2020 01:45 PM

See Dr. Fauci article just published on CNBC dot com .

MSchad 10-15-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1847737)
Florida Dept. of Health:

3,330 new cases
2 deaths

Correct: Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak

dewilson58 10-15-2020 02:46 PM

I'm still grossed out by the word "spewing".
I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

EdFNJ 10-15-2020 05:43 PM

Here we go again, thread #27562 "only a couple died." ....... you can LIVE and feel like you are going to die as well for a LONG time after getting this:

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:

Fatigue
Cough
Shortness of breath
Headache
Joint pain

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.

Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.

Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

Blood clots and blood vessel problems

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.

Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Problems with mood and fatigue

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.
Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.

It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19 recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.

G.R.I.T.S. 10-15-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtimes (Post 1847753)

I do what I can as I go about my life. My days are numbered; just don't know how many. I will die of something and it may be this virus. Hopefully I'll be able to say goodbye to my loved ones, unlike those who perish in car wrecks or are stricken with heart attacks and strokes, and run through the Golden Gate to loved ones who went before.