Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Question For Hobby Level Musicians Living in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/question-hobby-level-musicians-living-tv-312086/)

cycler 10-16-2020 07:06 AM

Question For Hobby Level Musicians Living in TV

My wife and I are planning a visit this November, with any eye to possbily relocating to TV, My main hobby is guitar playing, something I started doing after I retired. Are there any specific groups that get together to play, in an informal setting, just for folks who like to share music with others. It can get boring and repetitive just practicing and learning songs by yourself. Any info or responses would be appreciated, thanks.

Dana1963 10-16-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycler (Post 1848025)
My wife and I are planning a visit this November, with any eye to possbily relocating to TV, My main hobby is guitar playing, something I started doing after I retired. Are there any specific groups that get together to play, in an informal setting, just for folks who like to share music with others. It can get boring and repetitive just practicing and learning songs by yourself. Any info or responses would be appreciated, thanks.

So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star.
The Byrds - So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (1967) - YouTube
Not a player just a listener.

Polar Bear 10-16-2020 07:40 AM

I’d be interested in this too. It’s a casual hobby for me and provides a lot of pleasure.

Dana1963 10-16-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Here is a previous post conversation on TOV
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-clubs-122379/

John41 10-16-2020 09:35 AM

I am also a hobby guitar player, electric solid body only. There are several guitar groups here , two acoustic and one electric. There are other groups that have a variety of instruments, mostly acoustic. There are various skill levels beginner to advanced. The learning center might also have a guitar course. Some residents join together to form a performance group to play at social club events. Bonds music in Wildwood sell guitars and other instruments. I am going to sell the one acoustic guitar I have on the classified section in a few weeks.

8notes 10-16-2020 09:51 AM

Someone told me the ukulele club also has guitar players in it.

BryanTheGolfPro 10-17-2020 04:58 AM

There are at least four guitar clubs that meet in the rec. centers. You can find a list on line or in the Thursday newspaper supplement.

Bellavita 10-17-2020 05:56 AM

Yes there are several groups where you can join in check out the recreation sch

terenceanne 10-17-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

I am possibly interested - which Village will you be moving to potentially?

rockandroller 10-17-2020 06:13 AM

Our application for The Village Rockers was submitted to the Villages Recreation Department the middle of February 2020.

The COVID-19 epidemic has delayed issuance of new club charters.

Keep a watch on Thursday's supplement to the Vlllages Daily Sun newspaper. On the inside cover will be a listing of new clubs, soliciting responses. Historically, this is how "Rec" determines the viability of new clubs, by the number of responses.

To date, we have had over 200 responses from musicians, singers and those with a love for that genre of music.

Folks keep finding us from posts on TOTV and word of mouth.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-17-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

There are several, Just check the Recreation News. Most are not operating a full capacity so I can't tell you if you'll be able to participate tight away.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-17-2020 08:04 AM

Once in awhile I take my guitar out onto the lanai to futz around, if anyone sees me and gets inspired they're always welcome to get their instrument and join me. I can accommodate 3 other people with the 6' guideline, and I wouldn't "require" masks on my fully-screened lanai since I consider it outdoors with fresh air.

LiverpoolWalrus 10-17-2020 11:04 AM

Cycler, I share your interest in hobby musicianship and I can say the Villages will fulfill your wishes beyond your wildest dreams. The multiple music clubs (and three daily free concerts in the squares) are the main reasons I moved to the Villages. I am wildly impressed at how Villagers seem to be so very fond of music, and that facts makes me feel at home.

MandoMan 10-17-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

There are a LOT more music groups or clubs than the ones others have mentioned, but you will have to search carefully for them. Here is the current list of approved clubs:

https://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf

They claim 2500, I think my estimate was more like 1700. My recollection is that there are a couple symphonies of sorts, at different levels. If you play violin or something like that, give it a try. There is a concert band, I think, if you were in band in high school. There are at least two jazz ensembles, one quite good and one more relaxed. There are bands for folk, country, rock, Latin, uke, bluegrass, hymns, gospel, and more. I think there is even a banjo club. Some are small or not open to others, and some are wide open.

There are probably also smaller groups of friends who get together on there own. After all, some of us go crazy in a group of thirty guitar players who each want to solo for a chorus on each song. Are there any string quartets? I don’t know, but that would be nice. I was hoping for some people who like to play Brazilian Choro and Bossa Nova, as I really enjoy playing those. Or how about Gypsy Swing? Or the Great American Songbook? I love those.

Search the list. Remember to go all the way through. (I actually did, and I now have a notebook of a hundred groups of various sorts I’d like to explore. Most I may not like, but so what?) Some you may not have thought of may spark your imagination.

cycler 10-17-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terenceanne (Post 1848510)
I am possibly interested - which Village will you be moving to potentially?

As this will be our first trip to the Villages, we have no idea where or if we will purchasing a home. However, I will bookmark this thread and if we do wind up in TV, I'll know who to contact. Thanks, Cycler