Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Scam (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/scam-312101/)

cmj1210 10-16-2020 01:49 PM

Scam

Admin, today I received a text for an item I was selling asking for me to remove the item and they would send me a certified bank check after I gave them my information. Of course I knew this was not real but wanted to bring attention to it. The phone number they texted me from was 773-741-1933.

EdFNJ 10-16-2020 03:47 PM

I would assume that if the scammer did NOT post on this forum but only sent you a text as you wrote in your post to your phone there isn't much an admin could do. Good catch though, that's a common scam going around for years. Glad you picked up on it.

splashes 10-16-2020 05:59 PM

Got the same text about something I had to sell. Told them cash or no sale New it was a scam when the certified check bs came up

foxmeadow 10-16-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmj1210 (Post 1848299)
Admin, today I received a text for an item I was selling asking for me to remove the item and they would send me a certified bank check after I gave them my information. Of course I knew this was not real but wanted to bring attention to it. The phone number they texted me from was 773-741-1933.

That’s the exact # I received a text from. I played along a little until I was positive it was a scam. My item was substantial, I was somewhat prepared for the scam. He insisted to send me a bank draft for the full price, for which he did. Prior to my receiving his “bank draft”, he notified me that his secretary had mistakenly included the shipping cost. Once I received the check, I was told to deposit it in my account, then send a check to him for the overage. What a deal...he buys my item sight unseen, pays full price, plus shipping cost. What could possibly go wrong?
They wanted my account information that would be stamped on the check and/or get my account information on the check for the overage.
The two weeks later, I received a text message with exactly the same verbiage, from a different #.
DON’T GET SUCKED IN!!
I hope many read this and become suspicious immediately.
PS. The other phone #’s are:
773-644-5103
607-930-4556

Jeepforsale69 12-04-2020 07:15 PM

Same

I just got a text offering the same deal for the golf cart I’m selling.

retiredguy123 12-04-2020 07:31 PM

My question to the banking industry is "why not stop this scam?" Why would a reputable bank accept a certified check that they must suspect is bogus or require checks to be immediately verifiable? I think they are complicit in this type of scam. Shame on banks who allow their customers to get ripped off.

Malsua 12-04-2020 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got one of those on my rental property, a long song and dance about needing to move in, blah blah blah.

Said he wanted to meet, so I sent him my picture so he could recognize me.

He stopped responding ;)

EdFNJ 12-04-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malsua (Post 1869850)
I got one of those on my rental property, a long song and dance about needing to move in, blah blah blah.

He stopped responding ;)

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Some kid tried to scam me on eBay for a $100 item and I had him 100% believe I was with the "Internet Police Agency of the FBI" and had him crapping in his pants. Wife was ROTFL when I showed her the emails. He was dumb enough to send me his real address and used his real name. Admittedly I had actually fallen for it but I wasn't worried because eBay immediately blocked it.

EdFNJ 12-04-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1869845)
My question to the banking industry is "why not stop this scam?" Why would a reputable bank accept a certified check that they must suspect is bogus or require checks to be immediately verifiable? I think they are complicit in this type of scam. Shame on banks who allow their customers to get ripped off.

Because the check itself actually is or looks totally legit it's just the there is no money in the empty account. I've seen the checks on Youtube and on Judge Judy :) where people show them. Since it takes a couple days to go through the system even if the bank checked the account there could be funds in it at the time and removed 10 minutes later plus what if the rejected a legit check? The legit customer would probably sue!

retiredguy123 12-05-2020 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1869871)
Because the check itself actually is or looks totally legit it's just the there is no money in the empty account. I've seen the checks on Youtube and on Judge Judy :) where people show them. Since it takes a couple days to go through the system even if the bank checked the account there could be funds in it at the time and removed 10 minutes later plus what if the rejected a legit check? The legit customer would probably sue!

I would agree if the check is a regular check. But, the OP is referring to a "certified" check. A certified check means that the funds are being held by the issuing bank and cannot be removed. If merchants can verify a debit/gift card instantly, the banking industry could tighten up the certified check process to do the same thing. The only way this scam works is if the certified check is counterfeit.

Moderator 12-05-2020 07:41 AM

As we have noted before, these scammers can only see your contact info if they are registered members on TOTV. If you can get them to identify their TOTV member name, we can ban their account and IP address. If they only contact you via text, it may be hard to identify them.

As always with any online shopping/commerce, buyer beware and be careful. Question any unusual request/practices.

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-05-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderator (Post 1869942)
As we have noted before, these scammers can only see your contact info if they are registered members on TOTV. If you can get them to identify their TOTV member name, we can ban their account and IP address. If they only contact you via text, it may be hard to identify them.

As always with any online shopping/commerce, buyer beware and be careful. Question any unusual request/practices.

I thought they could only see your contact info if you allow it on your settings? Or are you saying that privacy settings are inoperable on this website?

John_W 12-05-2020 04:35 PM

If you're suspicious of a person, just google search their phone number. I do that with any call that comes to my homephone that doesn't leave a message and then I block that number.

773-741-1933

The very first result said it's a scam. That would be the end of it for me and I wouldn't of made any contact.

773-741-1933 - Google Search

PugMom 12-06-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malsua (Post 1869850)

He stopped responding ;)

:clap2::1rotfl::coolsmiley:

Ed of the Villages 12-06-2020 02:10 PM

Us too

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmj1210 (Post 1848299)

We also received a text today from 773 644-5103 same m.o. cashiers check scam