Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Flu shot complications (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/flu-shot-complications-312154/)

thevillager1988 10-18-2020 08:23 AM

Flu shot complications

I am working on getting into my Dr, so please don’t mistake this post as looking for healthcare from social media. I am wondering if anyone has heard of people having complications from this season’s flu shot. I believe I may be and know of one other person who was diagnosed as such. It’s my first flu shot so trying to get perspective.

asianthree 10-18-2020 08:37 AM

There are many who have some kind of issues with flu vaccine.

But there are few who have Serious complications. I am in that category, even though it was a requirement for my position to have the vaccine or be fired, I was excluded. Employee Health felt is was better i do without after witnessing the severe reactions upon injecting vaccine, and the quick thinking to revive me. But again it is rare to have such adverse reactions.

Stu from NYC 10-18-2020 08:42 AM

Wife and I had the heavy vaccine for first time and we were fine.

graciegirl 10-18-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1848985)
Wife and I had the heavy vaccine for first time and we were fine.

Two heavy and one light in our group of three. Very slightly sore arms. Quick in and out at Publix and each got a ten dollar gift certificate.

Bonnevie 10-18-2020 09:29 AM

I had the over 65 fluad type vaccine this year. I had nothing, not even soreness at the injection site.

raynan 10-18-2020 09:29 AM

I and several of our neighbors have gotten the heavy dose with no complications except a sore arm for a day.

villagetinker 10-18-2020 09:33 AM

I had the heavy dose (Wallgreens) with NO after effects, not even the sore arm. This was my first flu shot.

Kenswing 10-18-2020 10:25 AM

My arm hurt like hell for a couple of days. Other than that no problem.

davem4616 10-18-2020 11:02 AM

wife and I had the heavy dose....I felt a little warm and tired the second day after, nothing serious....wife's arm was sore for a couple of days

rather have those minor reactions than "paying homage to the porcelain goddess" and ache all over

birdiebill 10-18-2020 12:30 PM

wife and I had the over 65 dose and had no ill effects, not even a sore arm. I have had the flu shot every year since 1978 and have had no ill effects other than an occasional sore arm and/or maybe a little tiredness.

justjim 10-18-2020 12:45 PM

Wife and I got the heavy Flu vaccine 3 weeks ago and no issues. My allergies and sinuses acted up last year after the flu shot but it was just a coincidence. Coincidences can happen and your mind can also play “tricks” on you. My wife had a relative bad “Cold” a few years ago after her flu shot but it didn’t have anything to do with the shot. That said, there can be side effects but for 99% of people they are minimal. The flu vaccine is not 100% effective (Never has been because of its nature) but it increases the odds of not getting the flu and I’m ok with that.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-18-2020 01:16 PM

The #1 most common side effect is a sore arm and redness at the injection site. Usually it takes a couple of hours after the shot to start noticing that it's sore, and that might last anywhere from a few hours to two days. The first night would be the worst, but it's nothing an ibuprophen or Tylenol won't relieve.

The #2 most common side effect is mild flu-like symptoms: a runny nose, a little cough and sneezing, a touch of mild congestion. In short - it'll feel like a bad day of hay fever. That also would only last a day or two. I personally don't know of anyone who's had this second-most common side effect, but I do understand it's #2 on the list. A sip of children's liquid benadryl (diphenhydramine) to sleep the first night is theoretically all you need.

Bjeanj 10-18-2020 01:27 PM

The CDC is upfront about common and less common side effects. I had a sore arm from my shot. If you are having a severe reaction, you may want to consider going to urgent care, unless you can get in to see your doctor right away.

Seasonal Flu Shot | CDC

mills3186 10-18-2020 04:22 PM

You also have to consider that in fall and winter, when people get the flu shot, there is increased illness like common colds. So sometimes it's coincidental. After 25 years in medicine, the common misconceptions I saw were that people thought it would prevent stomach flu or the common cold. Influenza is almost always solely respiratory, accompanied by pretty good fever, bad headache, cough and body aches (it doesn't). An allergic reaction such as hives can be managed with Benadryl, otherwise not much can be done for any other side effects.

Velvet 10-18-2020 04:48 PM

I usually get a little side effect of the regular flu shot, for about 24 hours. So I was concerned about the “senior” strong shot. Got it last week and was waiting for a reaction. There was none. Not even a sore arm. I actually checked to see if I got a real shot in the first place.