Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Agatha Christie Advice Please (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/agatha-christie-advice-please-312165/)

Polar Bear 10-18-2020 12:41 PM

Agatha Christie Advice Please

I'm about to start reading Agatha Christie. I love to read good mysteries and crime novels, but somehow have not read Christie.

There are so many books and several main characters. I would welcome any advice regarding a good way to start. If I really like them after reading a couple, I'll probably use the order of publishing. But I welcome your thoughts regarding a good way to get started and get a good taste and feel of her novels...at least one from each of her main 'categories'.

Thanks.

Bjeanj 10-18-2020 01:12 PM

I grew up reading her books. Books published under her name (about 89) can be found at
Best Agatha Christie Book (89 books)

These are all murder mysteries.

Stu from NYC 10-18-2020 02:43 PM

Do not think she has written a bad book.

Find a series and pick the first of that series.

bandsdavis 10-20-2020 12:24 PM

Agatha Christie Poirot novels

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1849157)
I'm about to start reading Agatha Christie. I love to read good mysteries and crime novels, but somehow have not read Christie.

There are so many books and several main characters. I would welcome any advice regarding a good way to start. If I really like them after reading a couple, I'll probably use the order of publishing. But I welcome your thoughts regarding a good way to get started and get a good taste and feel of her novels...at least one from each of her main 'categories'.

Thanks.

Hi! I have not read all of her novels, but I have read all of the Poirot novels. I read them in order or publication, and for me it helped me enjoy the character very much. There is some subtle growth in Poirot as you read thru the stories, and while they certainly could be read out of order or as standalone stories, I think your enjoyment of the series would be enhanced by reading them in order. Here's a link to the order.

Hercule Poirot - Book Series In Order

Polar Bear 10-22-2020 07:58 AM

One last question before I pick a book to start with...

Any advice regarding which series to start with...Poirot, Marple, or Tommy & Tuppence? :)

Two Bills 10-22-2020 08:05 AM

The Butler did it!:icon_wink:

My choice, Miss Marples.

graciegirl 10-22-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1850869)
One last question before I pick a book to start with...

Any advice regarding which series to start with...Poirot, Marple, or Tommy & Tuppence? :)

I like Poirot and Marple equally well and have enjoyed them in books and on screen but I have never enjoyed Tommy and Tuppence.

I don't think you need concern yourself about the order you read Agatha Christie. You will enjoy them I am sure.

BS Beef 10-22-2020 09:20 AM

I have not read many Christie books. That said I love "Ten Little Indians". It's published under a different name now due to political correctness. Don't hold me to this but I think it is now called "And Then There Were None". Great book and highly recommend.

Polar Bear 10-22-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1850890)
I like Poirot and Marple equally well and have enjoyed them in books and on screen but I have never enjoyed Tommy and Tuppence.

I don't think you need concern yourself about the order you read Agatha Christie. You will enjoy them I am sure.

I’ve heard others say they like Tommy and Tuppance as well as Poirot and Marple. Can you describe a bit why you don’t?

Stu from NYC 10-22-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BS Beef (Post 1850935)
I have not read many Christie books. That said I love "Ten Little Indians". It's published under a different name now due to political correctness. Don't hold me to this but I think it is now called "And Then There Were None". Great book and highly recommend.

Did they really change the name from ten little indians?

Was a great book and a great movie.

Raen Dear 10-24-2020 06:56 AM

The British original was even more politically incorrect!

Stu from NYC 10-24-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raen Dear (Post 1851606)
The British original was even more politically incorrect!

political correctness will be the death of us