Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Jimmy John's vs Jersey Mike's (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/jimmy-johns-vs-jersey-mikes-312282/)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-21-2020 08:02 PM

Jimmy John's vs Jersey Mike's

One guilty pleasure that I have is Italian subs. I grew up in a very Italian suburb of Boston and miss the great Italian subs from my home town.

When I first moved down here I was going to Subway which is mediocre at best. Then I had an Italian sub from Publix and was pleasantly surprised. Not like home but not bad. Firehouse Subs are awful.

Then Jersey Mike's came to town and I tried them and like them even better than Publix. So I've been going there.

I've been seeing some ads for Jimmy John's and have been thinking about trying them out. Has anyone had their Italian subs? How do they compare to Jersey Mike's?

For health reasons I only have one about once a month so I'd rather not waste it on something that's not going to be good.

dnobles 10-21-2020 08:12 PM

Publix has excellent subs

Topspinmo 10-21-2020 08:25 PM

IMO I prefer firehouse subs, the bun more chewable for me and I like the taste. JMs good also but the price sticks in my throat :faint:. Haven’t had JJs around here but where I had them good but not great.

B-flat 10-21-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnobles (Post 1850669)
Publix has excellent subs

Plus one for Publix. I was surprised how good they are.

I did grow up in nearby RI in an Italian neighborhood with lots of bakeries that sold crusty great Italian bread, next door to one of them was a meat market that sold cold cuts. We'd buy a loaf of bread, cold cuts then head to Gemma's bar where for 15 cents you could also get a 10 ounce glass of Narragansett draft beer, great food with a cold one to wash it down with...........like the song "Those Were The Days My Friend We'd Thought They'd Never End...........but they did.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-21-2020 09:06 PM

I really REALLY love Publix subs. Their bread is excellent (they make their own bread in the bakery department) and they use premium deli meats (Boar's Head). What's even better is you can order it in advance on their app and pay for it when you get there to pick it up.

GolfGirl122 10-21-2020 09:14 PM

Stick with Jersey Mike’s. Nothing compares!

asianthree 10-22-2020 03:10 AM

We run down to Italian Market in Tampa and pick up meat, crusty bread. If that’s not possible Publix uses boars head which in my mind is a better grade of meat Than in any of the chain Shop

Nucky 10-22-2020 03:37 AM

I was with you for Jersey Mikes being the best and a short time after we were into the Pandemic someone on here posted about the majority of the SanGwich Technicians not wearing a mask or not wearing it properly.

Come to think of it it could have been out at the new store near Lowes. I'm not certain that the post said which store it was. Other than my mind Jersey Mikes is the food spot I think I miss the most. It's probably tied with missing Sakura and Chinese Food. Man 'O Man do I wish we all had our simple little lives back. Damn!

The Jersey Mike's commercial got me back in for one shot at a half of an Italian Sub and sadly it wasn't the same.

Enhancer 10-22-2020 04:42 AM

Giovanni's, Gio's and Roberto's has wonderful Italian subs. If you want to make your own subs visit the deli at Gio's on 301, just north of 466. So much better than chain sandwiches.

Nannyof3 10-22-2020 04:48 AM

Italian subs

I also grew up in a very Italian suburb of Boston and then spent most of my married life in Rhode Island. Ah, the bakeries! Really miss them. You just can’t get the bread down here and you have to have good bread for a good sub.
We really like Publix subs, we get them Boars Head.

Eg_cruz 10-22-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1850665)
One guilty pleasure that I have is Italian subs. I grew up in a very Italian suburb of Boston and miss the great Italian subs from my home town.

When I first moved down here I was going to Subway which is mediocre at best. Then I had an Italian sub from Publix and was pleasantly surprised. Not like home but not bad. Firehouse Subs are awful.

Then Jersey Mike's came to town and I tried them and like them even better than Publix. So I've been going there.

I've been seeing some ads for Jimmy John's and have been thinking about trying them out. Has anyone had their Italian subs? How do they compare to Jersey Mike's?

For health reasons I only have one about once a month so I'd rather not waste it on something that's not going to be good.

Neither.....Firehouse Subs

rmd2 10-22-2020 05:16 AM

I like the Publix "Ultimate" sub with Boars Head meat.

Susan1234 10-22-2020 05:19 AM

Miss Craganile

IUFAN 10-22-2020 05:36 AM

Jimmy Johns is good. Also try firehouse subs.

rjn5656 10-22-2020 05:40 AM

Subs

Try Little Italy in Inverness.