Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Sylvester Palm issue (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/sylvester-palm-issue-312603/)

xlhig 10-30-2020 07:09 AM

Sylvester Palm issue

4 Attachment(s)
Something is eating or digging in to my Sylvester Palm. Any ideas as to what it is and stop it/them? Pictures attached.

Going My Way 10-30-2020 07:18 AM

Like the Indians,
Could be some large Rat that wants its land back...
Sorry, but you might need I move out...

davem4616 10-30-2020 08:23 AM

looks like something is trying to get at some bugs that they want to eat that have taken up residence at the base of your palm

I'd call either a professional pest control company or a nursery to find out what to put down...you don't want to lose a Sylvester Palm

Doro22 10-30-2020 08:54 AM

It may be squirrels making a nest. We had that - yuk!

RedChariot 10-30-2020 09:05 AM

Call arborist Kanani Morris. He owns Tree Frog. Knowledgeable.

Topspinmo 10-30-2020 09:06 AM

Got to be something with rat like teeth to chew through that. Probably rule out beaver or muskrat? Most obvious IMO palm rats or there cousin the squirrel?

John corallo 10-31-2020 04:44 AM

Them type of palms get rats. Not saying that’s what it is but I had rats in mine

thevillagernie 10-31-2020 05:56 AM

Master gardner's all around you ???????

Imadreamer 10-31-2020 06:28 AM

Our Sylvester Palm (and a neighbor’s 8 doors down) died. Finally got it removed. Men could not pull it out by roots, but had to cut it down then grind the stump to remove. Costly.
We have no idea why it died, but we notice others that appear sick as we tour in our golf cart.

fastboat 10-31-2020 07:16 AM

Have the same problem with two of mine. Looks like roots growing right out of the trunk.

Villagesgal 10-31-2020 10:33 AM

Take or send photos to a master gardener. Call sumter County for master gardener info.

carolfry44 10-31-2020 11:44 AM

There is a lot of information on this subject on Google.

JayK! 10-31-2020 01:51 PM

Contact Sumter County Extension Service/Master Gardeners with questions about plants/shrubs/trees.

Ladygolfer2010 10-31-2020 02:10 PM

Palms are monocotyledons that have an adventitious root system. The roots evolve primarily from the stem tissue, as opposed to a larger root system. In seedlings, palm roots emerge in an area of the base called the root initiation zone. As the palm seed grows, the root initiation zone extends upward and outward. Roots that are exposed to soil or any other moist environment, continue to grow outward and downward in the soil where they function as roots. Roots that arise above the root initiation zone and are exposed to a drier environment, cease growing. If the environment becomes moist, then the roots will resume growing. The root initiation zone usually arises no more than 6 to 12 inches up the palm. However, certain palm species such as date palms (Phoenix spp.), the root initiation zone can occur several feet up the trunk. Examples of palms that demonstrate this condition are Canary Island Date Palms, Pygmy Date Palms, Sylvester Palms, Wild Date Palms, Cabbage Palms and Washingtonia Palms. We usually see this condition after the palm has been established. This condition is a normal abnormality, meaning that this will not harm the palm at all.
If you see this is on your palm, then do not worry. Do not try to cut the exposed roots off or pile dirt around the roots. This also does not mean your palm was planted too high. Do not be tempted to dig up the palm and plant it deeper within the soil. This may lead to a more serious problem. Another normal abnormality is trunk flare. This is most always seen along with the root initiation zone. Palm roots extend upward causing the bark to flare up, sometimes peeling off the trunk. Again, this is a normal part of the palms development.

justjim 10-31-2020 08:46 PM

It looks like Elvis has left the arena. I would call a tree cutter...