Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Sliders or roll up... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/sliders-roll-up-312657/)

giorgio1948 11-01-2020 09:20 AM

Sliders or roll up...

Are there any disadvantages having sliding golf cart doors instead of roll-up vinyl?

JoMar 11-01-2020 11:57 AM

I prefer to have an open cart, I even have the windshield down most of the time. In colder weather I will put the rear and rear quarter panels down but the sides stay up. In rainy weather and cold weather I will need to expend the 5 minutes to put the sides down, it the weather is really cold I take the car......I suspect the total time the cart is totally enclosed is less than 15 days a year and that is primarily when I'm out and get caught in the rain and even then, I only enclose one side. Some people will tell you the sliders are great when they first get them, then over time they rattle and you know they are always there. Some will tell you it's easier to just slide them closed when caught in the rain or cold. Others will tell you there is nothing that compares with sliders, they are convenient, give you more flexibility. In short, some folks love/hate vinyl and some love/hate sliders ....it's a personal preference. Depends on how you will use the cart. I have a friend that has two carts, one with and one without. The weather forecast determines which one he takes however, his wife has first choice :)

Navy (SSBN 633) 11-01-2020 11:59 AM

enclosed...only way to go

Fredman 11-01-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) (Post 1855160)
enclosed...only way to go

I agree

Bilyclub 11-02-2020 08:55 AM

Roll down if you like to enjoy the outdoors. If the weather is going to be that bad use a car.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 11-02-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1855157)
I prefer to have an open cart, I even have the windshield down most of the time. In colder weather I will put the rear and rear quarter panels down but the sides stay up. In rainy weather and cold weather I will need to expend the 5 minutes to put the sides down, it the weather is really cold I take the car......I suspect the total time the cart is totally enclosed is less than 15 days a year and that is primarily when I'm out and get caught in the rain and even then, I only enclose one side. Some people will tell you the sliders are great when they first get them, then over time they rattle and you know they are always there. Some will tell you it's easier to just slide them closed when caught in the rain or cold. Others will tell you there is nothing that compares with sliders, they are convenient, give you more flexibility. In short, some folks love/hate vinyl and some love/hate sliders ....it's a personal preference. Depends on how you will use the cart. I have a friend that has two carts, one with and one without. The weather forecast determines which one he takes however, his wife has first choice :)

I feel pretty much the same way but I would add that sliders are heavier and not as streamlined as rolled up vinyl so they will affect your mileage.

Topspinmo 11-11-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1855469)
I feel pretty much the same way but I would add that sliders are heavier and not as streamlined as rolled up vinyl so they will affect your mileage.

And wear cart out quicker pulling and carrying the extra weight.

kcrazorbackfan 11-11-2020 05:56 PM

I have the roll up sides; my wife has the MEE cab with the sliding doors; she loves it, I like the openness of my cart.

Mleeja 11-11-2020 06:13 PM

I saw a cart that is kind of the best of both. The cart had roll up sides, but they were on a pulley system. To put down you just pulled the chain. The lady who owned the cart “loved” them because she could lower them quickly without getting out of the cart. Maybe one of the knowledgeable folks here will know the name of the manufacturer or dealer.

tophcfa 11-11-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1859576)
I have the roll up sides; my wife has the MEE cab with the sliding doors; she loves it, I like the openness of my cart.

I am a roll up guy also, and it is extremely rare the sides ever get put down. The more open the cart the better, including keeping the windshield folded down. Personal preference.

Dgodin 11-12-2020 04:16 PM

I prefer the curtains. I think it is cooler, especially in the summer months. and it only takes a minute to roll down the curtains. I keep the back side curtains down all the time, but don't ever use the back curtain. then when it rains I just roll down 2 side panels. I did find I have to use a fan inside when the curtains are down as it tends to fog up.