Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Pool contractor please ! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/pool-contractor-please-312823/)

Lindaapril 11-06-2020 08:06 AM

Pool contractor please !

Hi, I am new to the villages and would appreciate any recommendations for a pool contractor. (Other than TD) . Any feedback would be great. Just looking for a fair and reputable company.

PoolBrews 11-06-2020 08:14 AM

I would get at least 3 quotes from companies with high ratings. You will find the most folks here will say T&D... that is because T&D is local and is the contractor that The Villages uses. They do good work, but cost far more than other companies outside of the bubble. If you don't mind paying 25%-50% more, then T&D is fine. My pool was done by Premier Pools of Central Florida out of Winter Park and I couldn't be happier. My pool was $65K - T&D wanted $90K, and that was with older automation, an undersized filter, and an undersized salt water generator (SWG) cell.

When I asked them to meet the same hardware as Premier, I was looking at another $10K. This is why I say - get multiple quotes, then make sure they all have the same components. Things to check:

1) Verify filter size - the smaller the filter, the more often you will be cleaning it.
2) Look at pool automation. It will make your life easier, and will save on electricity over the long run.
3) Make sure you get auto fill/drain. Here in FL with the rain and sun we get you'll be constantly adding water or manually draining without it.
4) Make sure you get a variable speed pump. A VSP can save $20-$40 per month when run at 40%.
5) If going salt water (highly recommended), make sure the SWG cell is rated at least 2x the size of your pool.
6) Look at the included pool interior finish. Pebble finishes last far longer than plaster, and are more $$ accordingly.

I could probably add more, but that is a good start!

Bogie Shooter 11-06-2020 01:05 PM

Some earlier threads...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ol+contractors
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ol+contractors

GNXGuy 11-06-2020 03:29 PM

Following

JSR22 11-06-2020 03:33 PM

Pool Company

Fiesta Pools from Ocala put in our pool 6 years ago. 100% satisfied.

tophcfa 11-06-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrvalley (Post 1856945)
I would get at least 3 quotes from companies with high ratings. You will find the most folks here will say T&D... that is because T&D is local and is the contractor that The Villages uses. They do good work, but cost far more than other companies outside of the bubble. If you don't mind paying 25%-50% more, then T&D is fine. My pool was done by Premier Pools of Central Florida out of Winter Park and I couldn't be happier. My pool was $65K - T&D wanted $90K, and that was with older automation, an undersized filter, and an undersized salt water generator (SWG) cell.

When I asked them to meet the same hardware as Premier, I was looking at another $10K. This is why I say - get multiple quotes, then make sure they all have the same components. Things to check:

1) Verify filter size - the smaller the filter, the more often you will be cleaning it.
2) Look at pool automation. It will make your life easier, and will save on electricity over the long run.
3) Make sure you get auto fill/drain. Here in FL with the rain and sun we get you'll be constantly adding water or manually draining without it.
4) Make sure you get a variable speed pump. A VSP can save $20-$40 per month when run at 40%.
5) If going salt water (highly recommended), make sure the SWG cell is rated at least 2x the size of your pool.
6) Look at the included pool interior finish. Pebble finishes last far longer than plaster, and are more $$ accordingly.

I could probably add more, but that is a good start!

I would add that if you are a part time resident make sure that the auto fill water supply (and a hose bib) are plumbed so that they still work when the whole house water valve is shut off. That way you can keep you home safer while away by shutting off the water, but your pools auto fill will still work. You will also need a functioning hose so the pool service can clean the pool filter.

jmf9322@gmail.com 11-07-2020 06:23 AM

Orca Pools

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindaapril (Post 1856933)
Hi, I am new to the villages and would appreciate any recommendations for a pool contractor. (Other than TD) . Any feedback would be great. Just looking for a fair and reputable company.

Orca Pools are fantastic for repairs, remodels or new construction. Owner Chris Meeks really knows the business.

vagent711 11-07-2020 07:09 AM

Fiesta Pools in Ocala. Cheaper and faster than the one you mentioned.

Rwirish 11-07-2020 07:16 AM

TV has over 70 pools. Save the dollars and use a TV pool.

JSR22 11-07-2020 07:23 AM

Pool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1857390)
TV has over 70 pools. Save the dollars and use a TV pool.

We have a pool and it is the best money I have spent. We use it daily and a lot of times at night when TV pools are closed. The privacy is wonderful.

Dan M 11-07-2020 08:17 AM

Orca Pools maintains our pool- they do a great job. They also install new pools.

Kgcetm 11-07-2020 08:17 AM

You are eliminating the best pool contractor in The Villages. You might want to reconsider.

GPGuar 11-07-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kgcetm (Post 1857441)
You are eliminating the best pool contractor in The Villages. You might want to reconsider.

T and D does excellent work but as stated above their pricing is way over most other pool companies. They have so much work with new construction that their attitude is “ take it or leave it “!

DIver0258 11-07-2020 09:11 AM

Villages Pool Contractor

Do not be fooled, we received 3 quotes from 2 other pool companies and T&D. All 3 quotes were within 1K of each other for the same design and same basic equipment. The biggest difference we found was T&D repaired and relocated the irrigation system. Also they repair any damage to the lawn. Make sure whom ever you select, that everyone is on the same page about these items when the project is complete. We did not want to spend 6K putting out lawn/irrigation back together. We have watched many contractors build pools in out short time here. The one thing that stood out, most pool contractors are not concerned about damage to the lawn. I am sure the majority of the pool contractors here are very good at what they do. In our world the devil is in the details. Once the pool is completed they lawn will be repaired to its former condition with new sod.

graciegirl 11-07-2020 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DIver0258 (Post 1857479)
Do not be fooled, we received 3 quotes from 2 other pool companies and T&D. All 3 quotes were within 1K of each other for the same design and same basic equipment. The biggest difference we found was T&D repaired and relocated the irrigation system. Also they repair any damage to the lawn. Make sure whom ever you select, that everyone is on the same page about these items when the project is complete. We did not want to spend 6K putting out lawn/irrigation back together. We have watched many contractors build pools in out short time here. The one thing that stood out, most pool contractors are not concerned about damage to the lawn. I am sure the majority of the pool contractors here are very good at what they do. In our world the devil is in the details. Once the pool is completed they lawn will be repaired to its former condition with new sod.

Plus they save the bushes for replanting and ours all lived.