Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Tesla (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/tesla-313410/)

LiverpoolWalrus 11-24-2020 09:44 PM

Tesla

What do you all think? Hold TSLA a bit longer or all the way to the S&P add on Dec 21? Your thoughts on whether it will spike or tank on December 21/22?

And what about long term? Is TSLA another Apple or Amazon, or is it already too late to get in?

RVJim 11-24-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1865387)
What do you all think? Hold TSLA a bit longer or all the way to the S&P add on Dec 21? Your thoughts on whether it will spike or tank on December 21/22?

And what about long term? Is TSLA another Apple or Amazon, or is it already too late to get in?

If you follow ARK Funds Cathy Wood, she believes TSLA will be 1400 by 2024. She has an outstanding record as a fund manager but I am not sure I agree with her valuation. Perhaps she is correct, perhaps not. None the less, I think TSLA will continue to rise as fund managers are forced to buy it in any S&P indexed fund. If you hold the equity, you might consider hedging with options to preserve some gains. On a personal note, I hold a small position in TSLA from ~2014. Otherwise I play the stock with options both buying calls and selling puts. The bottom line in terms of a hold versus sell decision is how much are your gains, are they in a tax preferred account and should you sell all or a portion to lock in some of the profit. Each person has a difference risk tolerance.

retiredguy123 11-25-2020 06:23 AM

Buy and hold an S&P 500 Index fund. I would never own an individual stock.

RVJim 11-25-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1865428)
Buy and hold an S&P 500 Index fund. I would never own an individual stock.

A combination of both index funds, targeted ETF’s and individual stocks usually provides the best returns. If you are risk averse or don’t understand how to identify favorable individual stocks or industries, then an index fund is good bet to set and forget. You won’t receive the outsize gains but you likely won’t lose over the long term depending on your timing.

dewilson58 11-25-2020 10:33 AM

No logic to the current valuation, difficult to project more logiclessness. :popcorn:

RVJim 11-25-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1865611)
No logic to the current valuation, difficult to project more logiclessness. :popcorn:

Never argue logic with market, the trend is your friend and never fight the FED. Keep those three rules in mind and your investments will prosper.