Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   The Hooligans Aren't Not of this Earth (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/hooligans-arent-not-earth-313527/)

LiverpoolWalrus 11-28-2020 07:58 PM

The Hooligans Are Not of this Earth

As I head out to catch Johnny Wild, I was thinking about the Hooligans who I saw the other night. That was about the fourth time I've caught them in my roughly one year here so far. They're pretty darn breathtaking.

I've seen many tribute bands but nobody as good as the Hooligans. Just as Dylan's songwriting doesn't seem to be accomplished by a mere mortal, the Hooligans are also not of this earth. Their note-perfect renditions of the songs of our youth are simply jaw dropping.

Have you heard their War Pigs? I thought I was back at the Miami Beach Convention Center in 1972 seeing the Sabs do the real thing again.

kkingston57 11-28-2020 08:19 PM

Did some great Led Zeppelin and The Who covers.

Polar Bear 11-28-2020 08:41 PM

Yeah, The Hooligans are really something. When they do Zeppelin, close your eyes and you’d swear you were listening to Robert Plant. Awesome.

John_W 11-28-2020 09:14 PM

The vocalist of the Hooligans Kurt Frohlich has 3 different gigs going. The Acoustic Edge, The Hooligans and the Spazmatics. He's playing somewhere in Florida just about every night.

Here's a Spazmatics video, which is more 80's new wave and pop.

Spazmatics performing in Sebastian, Florida - YouTube

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2c&oe=5FE85ED2

Speaking of local talent, Sarasota is not that far. This guy plays pubs, restaurants and just about anywhere in Sarasota and Bradenton and when he doesn't have a gig you'll find him on St. Armands Key in the circle. He has 624,000 followers on youtube and probably a 100 videos. He plays it solo but it sounds like a band and then other times he'll have real backup. Here's my favorite, outside at St. Armands Key by himself and someone requests Jimi Hendrix and he couldn't be more modest about this talent. This guy came here from the Ukraine about 15 years ago and found his own career and his pretty assistant is his girlfriend.

When Someone Requests a Jimi Hendrix Song - YouTube

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5FE7C738

tophcfa 11-28-2020 09:36 PM

Without a doubt, the best band that plays on the squares. The Hooligans are the only band my wife and I will go out of our way to plan a night out for dinner and dancing when they play at either LSL or SS (we live just about right between both squares). The only other band I used to go out of my way to hear, unfortunately, no longer plays on the squares, He Said She Said. Todd Fulcher, the "He" in the band is an unbelievable guitar player, world class. Unfortunately, I think he rocked a little too much for the Mustang Sally and line dancing crowd? He always did a Jimmy Hendrix type guitar solo of our National Anthem, only better in my opinion. Pre-Covid, the last time I heard Hooligans, they played War Pigs, that brought back some serious memories of my youth. I couldn't believe I was hearing that song at LSL.

LiverpoolWalrus 11-29-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1867265)
The vocalist of the Hooligans Kurt Frohlich has 3 different gigs going. The Acoustic Edge, The Hooligans and the Spazmatics. He's playing somewhere in Florida just about every night.

Yeah, I've seen the Spazmatics a couple of times too. I'm really picky about 80s music - I don't care for commercial new wave or pop. I was more a Clash, Cure, Gang of Four, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Damned, Ramones kind of guy. Digging deeper is where the true treasures always lie. Fans of movies and literature probably say the same thing.

Dana1963 11-29-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1867239)
As I head out to catch Johnny Wild, I was thinking about the Hooligans who I saw the other night. That was about the fourth time I've caught them in my roughly one year here so far. They're pretty darn breathtaking.

I've seen many tribute bands but nobody as good as the Hooligans. Just as Dylan's songwriting doesn't seem to be accomplished by a mere mortal, the Hooligans are also not of this earth. Their note-perfect renditions of the songs of our youth are simply jaw dropping.

Have you heard their War Pigs? I thought I was back at the Miami Beach Convention Center in 1972 seeing the Sabs do the real thing again.

Most people don’t listen to the words in the music it confuses them. Just as in The Who’s Goods Gone on My Generation album MONO

PugMom 11-29-2020 05:32 PM

i LOVE their war pigs, & also never thought i'd hear it in the villages, LOL. i'm a huge sabbath fan, but actually prefer dio on vocals:coolsmiley:

ts12755 11-30-2020 06:53 AM

Definitely the best band to ever play the squares.

BaileyMom 11-30-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1867265)

Spazmatics performing in Sebastian, Florida - YouTube

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2c&oe=5FE85ED2

Speaking of local talent, Sarasota is not that far. This guy plays pubs, restaurants and just about anywhere in Sarasota and Bradenton and when he doesn't have a gig you'll find him on St. Armands Key in the circle. He has 624,000 followers on youtube and probably a 100 videos. He plays it solo but it sounds like a band and then other times he'll have real backup. Here's my favorite, outside at St. Armands Key by himself and someone requests Jimi Hendrix and he couldn't be more modest about this talent. This guy came here from the Ukraine about 15 years ago and found his own career and his pretty assistant is his girlfriend.

When Someone Requests a Jimi Hendrix Song - YouTube

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5FE7C738

Kurt also plays in Anti-Idol and with LA Guns.

Rosebud1949 11-30-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Perhaps is cos they are British they are good......

Joe C. 11-30-2020 08:58 AM

Guess I'm the odd man out. I can't stand them. Too loud and too raucous. I prefer "easier" music......I like Second Slice, Cadillac Jack, Smokin Torpedoes.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 11-30-2020 09:04 AM

Try Blonde Ambition band

Quote:

We went to Lake Sumter and saw the “Blonde Ambition” band, wow high energy and loved every minute of it, they have 4 vocalists and tremendous musicology that will keep you enjoying the show, by far great band, I rate it with Rocky and the Rollers quality, their guitar/keyboards and bass player are amazing, their drummer WOW!!!!!!!!

PugMom 11-30-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C. (Post 1868000)
Guess I'm the odd man out. I can't stand them. Too loud and too raucous. I prefer "easier" music......I like Second Slice, Cadillac Jack, Smokin Torpedoes.

that's ok. i like that easier stuff, too. don't feel odd man out, the bands you list i've seen & are very good. it's fun to listen to all kinds of things; Rat Pack to Rob Zombie! :icon_wink:

LiverpoolWalrus 11-30-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 1867774)
i LOVE their war pigs, & also never thought i'd hear it in the villages, LOL. i'm a huge sabbath fan, but actually prefer dio on vocals:coolsmiley:

Dio over Ozzy?!? C'mon, that's blasphemy!

Ya, I'm constantly amazed at some of the songs blaring out from the town squares in the Villages of all places. I never thought it would happen either and I'm not complaining.

My first month or so here I thought I was only going to get Brown Eyed Girl, Brick House and Sweet Caroline every night.