Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Defective solar torch lights----help (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/defective-solar-torch-lights-help-313529/)

BobnBev 11-28-2020 09:10 PM

Defective solar torch lights----help

I recently got some solar torch lights from overseas. Several of them barely flicker, the rest shine brightly. This is after 9 hours of bright sunlight. Can't send them back, the web site is no longer active. Are they repairable? TIA, Bob

photo1902 11-29-2020 06:13 AM

Pitch them. Solar lights are junk. If you want landscape lights buy a wired set from Home Depot or Lowe’s

Toymeister 11-29-2020 07:51 AM

It could be the rechargeable battery. I would try replacing it. They are available at amazon.

asianthree 11-29-2020 09:52 AM

At 7 years ours really didn’t work for more than an hour. Ordered new batteries from Amazon. Cleaned the outside, work still on at 4am. Easy fix

villagetinker 11-29-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1867261)
I recently got some solar torch lights from overseas. Several of them barely flicker, the rest shine brightly. This is after 9 hours of bright sunlight. Can't send them back, the web site is no longer active. Are they repairable? TIA, Bob

BobnBev, send me a PM, I will be glad to take a look at them and let you know if it is worth repairing.

BobnBev 12-03-2020 11:32 AM

Well, got ahold of the Village Tinkerer, he took one apart, found the battery, tested it and discovered it was bad. He gave me a website and I ordered new batteries. He will do the install when they get here. He's a super nice guy and I made a new friend. Thanks, Dave.:bigbow:

Ohiogirl 12-03-2020 12:39 PM

So is it necessary to replace rechargeable batteries with only new (or recharged) rechargeable batteries? Does anyone know if you can use regular batteries? At least just to test the lights to see if they will still work? Hope I am making myself clear. I guess the question really is, "Will regular (not rechargeable) batteries work on solar lights?"

villagetinker 12-03-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl (Post 1869310)
So is it necessary to replace rechargeable batteries with only new (or recharged) rechargeable batteries? Does anyone know if you can use regular batteries? At least just to test the lights to see if they will still work? Hope I am making myself clear. I guess the question really is, "Will regular (not rechargeable) batteries work on solar lights?"

If (big if) you can match the voltage of the rechargeable battery and if you can match the size of the rechargeable battery you could install a regular battery, HOWEVER, it will not be recharged and may actually be damaged by the recharging circuit. Also replacing the batteries with the wrong may very well damage the electronics of the device.
In others words I would not try this.