Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/couple-arrested-knowingly-boarding-flight-while-covid-19-positive-313672/)

La lamy 12-03-2020 11:42 AM

Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive

This is unconscionable!!! I had to fly here and certainly was worried about someone being asymptomatic on the plane, but would never think someone would willfully do this.

Couple arrested for knowingly boarding flight while COVID-19 positive | TheHill

:ohdear::shocked::ohdear::shocked::ohdear::shocked :

CWGUY 12-03-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La lamy (Post 1869286)
This is unconscionable!!! I had to fly here and certainly was worried about someone being asymptomatic on the plane, but would never think someone would willfully do this.

:agree: I agree, it is unconscionable. Now I must(as you like to say "grow a pair") and ask...... why did you have to fly here? Did you not have a choice in the matter? :confused: I know the Canada–United States border is still closed...... that's not what I mean. I'm thinking you came here on vacation because you wanted too. Not because you had too.
My wife is Canadian and we changed our plans to go there this summer. We were also going to visit the grandkids in New York. I know there are rules we can all follow that allow us to travel...... just thought it best for all to cancel.
Anyway, enjoy your vacation and stay safe. :ho:

Stu from NYC 12-03-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Wow hope they get a few years to consider their actions.

Velvet 12-03-2020 01:13 PM

Honolulu Star Advertiser:

“Wailua residents Wesley Moribe, 41, and Courtney Peterson, 46, were arrested after arriving in Lihue Sunday on a United Airlines flight.

Kauai police said the couple faces charges of reckless endangerment.

“They knowingly boarded a flight aware of their positive COVID-19 test results, placing the passengers of the flight in danger of death,” police said.

According to police, Moribe and Peterson took COVID-19 detection tests before the flight as part of Hawaii’s pre-travel testing program. Authorities at San Francisco International Airport took the couple to quarantine after they both tested positive for COVID-19 and told them not to fly.

Instead, the couple ignored the order and boarded the plane with their son, authorities said.”

And according to the airlines this is not the first time that this has happened. I wonder why the Airline Authorities did not stop these people from boarding? Will they be charged with attempted murder?

graciegirl 12-03-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

That is so awful to hear. I am sure I personally do not know ANYONE that would do that. I hope that by luck or grace of God that those folks on the airplane stayed well.

charmed59 12-03-2020 02:08 PM

What really amazing about this is this couple, who lives on an island, is willing to put themselves on a no fly list in order to get home sooner. Now they may never get to leave.

La lamy 12-03-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1869299)
:agree: I agree, it is unconscionable. Now I must(as you like to say "grow a pair") and ask...... why did you have to fly here? Did you not have a choice in the matter? :confused: I know the Canada–United States border is still closed...... that's not what I mean. I'm thinking you came here on vacation because you wanted too. Not because you had too.
My wife is Canadian and we changed our plans to go there this summer. We were also going to visit the grandkids in New York. I know there are rules we can all follow that allow us to travel...... just thought it best for all to cancel.
Anyway, enjoy your vacation and stay safe. :ho:

I know I didn't "have" to fly here, but Medipac health insurance decided to cover Canadians going to the US for Covid, so that was my deciding factor.

La lamy 12-03-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed59 (Post 1869340)
What really amazing about this is this couple, who lives on an island, is willing to put themselves on a no fly list in order to get home sooner. Now they may never get to leave.

Good point!

Velvet 12-03-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed59 (Post 1869340)

They may never get to leave anyways if Covid gets them first. But they sure weren’t concerned for the innocent others. They are flying to Kauai... those people are serious about this virus.

HeleneGB 12-04-2020 05:57 AM

Why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.

Girlcopper 12-04-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La lamy (Post 1869344)
I know I didn't "have" to fly here, but Medipac health insurance decided to cover Canadians going to the US for Covid, so that was my deciding factor.

Thats a poor choice. Since insurance will pay your medical bills, you decided to chance getting the virus?

NotFromAroundHere 12-04-2020 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helenegb (Post 1869481)
why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.

hipaa?

Art cov 12-04-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeleneGB (Post 1869481)
Why didn't airline prevent them from boarding? Airline just as guilty as couple.

Yes! This is insane, as the couple was pre screened before boarding. Airline is responsible! The couple also in this environment. Hawaii is one of the strictest place but if they slipped some cash to the right person or knew someone of importance in San Francisco, somebody may have turned the other way! And away they went. Just how did they board? They were screened!

daca55 12-04-2020 07:04 AM

Quote:

I’m not surprised. People today think only about themselves. It’s unfortunate but it is reality. I think there may be some law suits from people who end up with the virus because of that flight. A very good friend of mine used to always remind me that “all the monkeys are not in the zoo because everyday you meet quite a few”.Be safe!!

SisalPhil 12-04-2020 07:07 AM

Unfortunately nothing surprises me anymore.