Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fraud Alert! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fraud-alert-313845/)

1oraleejn 12-08-2020 06:04 PM

Fraud Alert!

I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. The call started out by thanking me for my Amazon purchase of $399.?? Since we have Prime and often order from them, I was not surprised, but the amount was more than I membered spending. I panicked! The call went on to say that if we had not made the charge, I should press “1”. Why would they offer that to EVERYONE? I called Amazon & they said they would never call me. The charge was also NOT on my account
BEWARE of all phone calls, especially during the Holiday season! DO NOT give them any Information!:

BogeyBoy 12-08-2020 06:16 PM

I have received this call a couple of times. Our Amazon account is in my wife's name so I knew it was a scam right away.

Stu from NYC 12-08-2020 07:29 PM

We got it too. We checked our account after hanging up the phone and knew it was fraud.

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-08-2020 07:35 PM

I get texts reminding me that I should press a hyperlink to schedule my delivery all the time. I block those every time they come in (they come from different phone numbers each time).

villagetinker 12-08-2020 08:07 PM

I have turned on 2 factor security, when ever I sign in (user name and password) I get a phone call with a code that I must enter to actually get on the site. This should keep the account safe.

retiredguy123 12-08-2020 08:14 PM

This scam has nothing to do with Amazon. They are just using Amazon's name because they know that millions of people order products from Amazon.

asianthree 12-08-2020 08:41 PM

I don’t get weird calls on my cell. They go right to spam, unless in my contacts. Land line is the same, if number isn’t in my list, I don’t get the call

John_W 12-08-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1oraleejn (Post 1871081)
I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. ..

I guess you have a phone number on the caller ID. When in doubt, just google the phone number anytime you suspect something. You'll find out right away if it's a scam or not.

Besides google, here's a couple of more links.

Access Denied

https://www.whitepages.com/reverse-phone

fsusix 12-09-2020 05:54 AM

Thank you so much for posting!

banjobob 12-09-2020 05:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up

Catalina36 12-09-2020 06:27 AM

Fraudulent email messages, BEWARE.

Fraudulent email messages, BEWARE. I recently noticed a email on my iphone titled "thank you for your Apple purchase the charge of $69.00 was charged to your account". I did not open the email. I checked all of my accounts, checking, 2 credit cards, for several days and there was NO Charge for $69.00. Again I did not open the email, Not sure what would of happened if I did?? Perhaps they would have taken info off of my phone??
Just Beware, if the email looks suspicious it probably is hit [B] "JUST DELETE"

Cheapbas 12-09-2020 06:52 AM

Yep, another one lately is Norton antivirus renewal, for $$$. Set your phone to silence unknown callers, if they are not in your contacts, you’ll never hear it. If it is someone you know they’ll figure out how to get in touch with you.

Girlcopper 12-09-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1oraleejn (Post 1871081)
I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. The call started out by thanking me for my Amazon purchase of $399.?? Since we have Prime and often order from them, I was not surprised, but the amount was more than I membered spending. I panicked! The call went on to say that if we had not made the charge, I should press “1”. Why would they offer that to EVERYONE? I called Amazon & they said they would never call me. The charge was also NOT on my account
BEWARE of all phone calls, especially during the Holiday season! DO NOT give them any Information!:

Scam calls and emails have been around for decades. Nothing new and neither is this scam. Its an everyday occurrence

larbud 12-09-2020 07:27 AM

I got acall from a busy indian sounding call center along the same lines,Asked me a lot of bs questions trying to get me to say yes to something . What they got was a lesson in redneck profanity! Wife says take the high road they’re just trying to help you! Whut?

Bwolf1 12-09-2020 07:34 AM

Why panick. I get stuff all the time that I don’t want. Just return it for a full refund. It’s easy and it’s an Amazon benefit, no questions asked.