Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Borscht (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/borscht-314103/)

LiverpoolWalrus 12-16-2020 10:23 PM

Borscht

Does anyone know of a restaurant in or near the Villages that serves borscht, with or without cabbage?

I know a Polish restaurant is coming to Wildwood, but anything now?

And for a longshot, how about an Ethiopian restaurant? They're a thing in the DC area. When I lived in Silver Spring, MD in the 2000s, there were literally five Ethiopian restaurants within a ten minute walk of my house.

Skip 12-17-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1874503)
Does anyone know of a restaurant in or near the Villages that serves borscht, with or without cabbage?

And for a longshot, how about an Ethiopian restaurant? They're a thing in the DC area. When I lived in Silver Spring, MD in the 2000s, there were literally five Ethiopian restaurants within a ten minute walk of my house.

Try the words "Borsch" (alternate spelling) or "Ethiopian" in Section 4c of the Gourmet Club's Search Page.
BINGO! both times.
Skip

Quixote 12-17-2020 05:02 AM

Quote:

Borscht with cabbage? Euuuhhhh.... Now, cold borscht (ALWAYS cold!) with tiny warm new potatoes. Or on a really hot day, the most refreshing very cold borscht with sour cream? Yum!

For man ears our ‘local’ Ethiopian restaurant was at the Byward Market in Ottawa. Granted it was aore convenient back when living in New York State and visiting Ottawa every May for the Great Glebe sale. Alas no more; it’s just too far from TV to Ottawa....

I’ll be followimg this thread hoping (beyond expectation...) to find out about a string of outstanding Ethiopian restaurants throughout central Florida.... Beyond expectation = impossible dream = nope not holding my breath!

Dana1963 12-17-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Might try Polish Deli Leesburg. I have seen a packaged White Borst soup mix in there store.
I make a White Bordt Soup for Easter from scratch.
Polish Delicatessen
1322 W North Blvd.
Leesburg, FL 34748
(352) 365-1747
polish.deli99@gmail.com

Stu from NYC 12-17-2020 09:31 AM

Might be easier to just make it yourself. Tons of varieties out there.

LiverpoolWalrus 12-17-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1874681)
Might be easier to just make it yourself. Tons of varieties out there.

Not me. I have a hard enough time boiling water.

Quixote, there is an Ethiopian restaurant in Orlando.

Thanks for other input so far.

JSR22 12-17-2020 10:59 AM

A Polish restaurant opened 2 weeks ago on 301 N in Wildwood. Where Woody's was. I do not know if they have borscht .The name is Polan Deli Market. PHONE 352 399-6866.

graciegirl 12-17-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Wow. An Ethiopian Restaurant.

Can't help you there, but if you are looking for a delicious and wonderful soup having cabbage, tomato, beef, with a bit of sweetness, one of my favorites in The Villages is TooJays Beef Cabbage soup that is available on Wednesdays. We get a container, enough for two very generous servings for about nine dollars. The even throw in a couple pieces of their fresh and wonderful sliced rye bread. A little butter and you have a wonderful soup experience.

blueash 12-17-2020 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't give you a review but they've been successfully selling it for decades

LiverpoolWalrus 12-17-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1874816)
I can't give you a review but they've been successfully selling it for decades

Thanks Blue. I’ve tried that Manischewitz in a jar. It’s horrible - just a thin watery broth. Nothing like I had in Prague.

Gracie, sounds interesting. Do they have a meatless or plant based “meat” version?

LiverpoolWalrus 12-17-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1874740)
A Polish restaurant opened 2 weeks ago on 301 N in Wildwood. Where Woody's was. I do not know if they have borscht .The name is Polan Deli Market. PHONE 352 399-6866.

Thanks. I didn’t know they were already opened. I’m on my way!

GOLFER54 12-18-2020 06:22 AM

What’s the fastest bird in the world ?

An Ethiopian Chicken

J1ceasar 12-18-2020 06:55 AM

A pot, and learn to cook . It's easy recipe .

robaldsc@hotmail.com 12-18-2020 07:15 AM

The Polish restaurant is now in their soft opening. Call for reservations 352-399-6866

Cassieb 12-18-2020 07:40 AM

Already open.

Quote:

The Polish restaurant in Wildwood is already open. I went there last week, it was very good and reasonable priced. It is on the left East side of 301 just before the Turnpike. I am not sure if they have borscht.