Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Ideas on where to sell Hummels? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ideas-where-sell-hummels-314387/)

Dotneko 12-28-2020 06:56 AM

Ideas on where to sell Hummels?

We just recently moved down to TV and brought with us about 40 Hummels that we collected over the years. Does anyone know a reputable consignment shop to bring them to? I dont really want to sell them out of my garage lol.
TIA

villagetinker 12-28-2020 09:05 AM

You can try the Antiques store at the corner of 44 and 301, Traditions Antique Mall, 352-748-6255, I have never dealt with them for sales, but have made a couple of purchases, no idea of the charge for selling your items.

Bogie Shooter 12-28-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotneko (Post 1878522)
We just recently moved down to TV and brought with us about 40 Hummels that we collected over the years. Does anyone know a reputable consignment shop to bring them to? I dont really want to sell them out of my garage lol.
TIA

Don't be surprised if they are worth half of what you paid for them.
Search on sold items on eBay for a reference point.

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-28-2020 11:09 AM

Ugh I thought you were talking about the hotdogs and was going to direct you to my house. Cash in hand.

I will BUY Hummel's hotdogs! But no, not the statues. Sorry to interrupt, carry on!

retiredguy123 12-28-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1878635)
Don't be surprised if they are worth half of what you paid for them.
Search on sold items on eBay for a reference point.

Half? I was thinking maybe 10 percent after the consignment fee.

Altavia 12-28-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1878702)
Half? I was thinking maybe 10 percent after the consignment fee.

Correct, donated mine to a womens shelter resale shop/fundraiser

kathyspear 12-28-2020 01:32 PM

I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years and used to teach "How to Sell on eBay classes". I still use it for certain things but the fees have gone through the roof. You pay a small fee to list an item, a "final value fee" when you sell something (which can be 10% of the price), and then you pay Paypal to process the transaction. Plan on about 20% in fees. Also, when you check the listings on eBay to determine what your item might bring be sure to click the "Sold Items" box in the left hand pane. (It doesn't matter what someone is currently listing an item for, just what people have been willing to pay for one.) Keep in mind, also, that you need to package things well and schlep them to the post office or UPS. Lots of work involved in eBaying if you do it properly.

For items like yours I would definitely go with eBay because it is such a huge global marketplace. You might find some buyers who collect but are missing one or more of yours. Depending on your tax situation, you might come out about the same if you donate them and take a tax write off for what you think they are worth.

kathy

retiredguy123 12-28-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1878749)
I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years and used to teach "How to Sell on eBay classes". I still use it for certain things but the fees have gone through the roof. You pay a small fee to list an item, a "final value fee" when you sell something (which can be 10% of the price), and then you pay Paypal to process the transaction. Plan on about 20% in fees. Also, when you check the listings on eBay to determine what your item might bring be sure to click the "Sold Items" box in the left hand pane. (It doesn't matter what someone is currently listing an item for, just what people have been willing to pay for one.) Keep in mind, also, that you need to package things well and schlep them to the post office or UPS. Lots of work involved in eBaying if you do it properly.

For items like yours I would definitely go with eBay because it is such a huge global marketplace. You might find some buyers who collect but are missing one or more of yours. Depending on your tax situation, you might come out about the same if you donate them and take a tax write off for what you think they are worth.

kathy

The only way you will come out the same by donating them is to cheat on your taxes. Legally, you are only allowed to deduct the actual market value, not what you think something is worth.

John_W 12-28-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotneko (Post 1878522)
TIA

I would sell them on eBay, however there are 41,000 Hummels for sale at the moment on eBay. Take a look and see what price they'll bring. Here's a link with just a general title, you can search and be more specific.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...mmels&_sacat=0

Most collectibles if in good shape and have photographs and priced right will sell within the 7 days of your listing on eBay. You could put them on auction, I always prefer a 'Buy Now' price when selling or buying on eBay. When I inherited my dad's knife collection, it was worth about $10,000 going by book value. I sold them individually in about two months and received about $5,000 in eBay sales. You'll need to get boxes and pack them good since they are breakable.

My mother had an antique store in St. Petersburg for 20 years and when she retired her and my dad sold at Renninger's in Mount Dora for 15 years. Traditions Antique Mart is in Wildwood I don't believe they would move that fast, depends on how quick you want them sold. Most of the booths there are unoccupied and they work on the honor system with customers. If you're not interested in eBay, I make a trip to Renninger's and talk to a few vendors and see what they can do on consignment, they get far more traffic and it's only 45 minutes away. If you don't want to sell on consignment, you can have operate your own booth at Renningers. On the link you'll see a box for 'become a vendor'.

Renningers Promotions

Bogie Shooter 12-28-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1878749)

kathy

Currently , no insertion fees on first 200 listings.

John_W 12-28-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1878780)
Currently , no insertion fees on first 200 listings.

The insertion fees weren't the problem, they're only about 35 cents to list an item. It's the final value fee and then the Paypal fee, that's what gets you. eBay will get about 10% of the sale price and Paypal will get about 10%, so if you get someone to sell on consignment for 20% you'll break even without all the work and don't even have to ship or pay for shipping. Most eBay buyers also want free shipping. I know I do, and I buy all the time on eBay.

kathyspear 12-28-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1878796)
The insertion fees weren't the problem, they're only about 35 cents to list an item. It's the final value fee and then the Paypal fee, that's what gets you. eBay will get about 10% of the sale price and Paypal will get about 10%, so if you get someone to sell on consignment for 20% you'll break even without all the work and don't even have to ship or pay for shipping. Most eBay buyers also want free shipping. I know I do, and I buy all the time on eBay.

... and most buyers have no idea how much shipping rates have gone up the last few years!

k.

flhr95 12-29-2020 05:44 AM

Any consignment shops for nice estate jewelry?

Jgabriele 12-29-2020 05:46 AM

I put mine on Facebook Marketplace and sold with no problem.

Dotneko 12-29-2020 06:30 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I may make a trip to the places listed and just leave them. Many were from our parents, so anything is gravy.