Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Lee and Andrew Child's "The Sentinel". (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/lee-andrew-childs-sentinel-314552/)

Taltarzac725 01-01-2021 03:08 PM

Lee and Andrew Child's "The Sentinel".

So far it seems a lot like an ANDREW Child book than a Lee Child Jack Reacher one.

I have been reading Jack Reacher novels since the people at Doggie Doo Run Run were discussing how much they loved these books and many had read all of them up to that point. This was probably about 8 years ago though.

I started reading his books soon after that. Started with 61 Hours and I was hooked. 61 Hours - Wikipedia

N44125 01-01-2021 05:02 PM

FORMER avid reader and fan of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series. Ever since Andrew took over it’s not the same. I waited about 2 weeks to get from the library for Sentinel...I struggled through about 100 pages and gave up, never finished the book. I’m done.....

JohnN 01-01-2021 05:27 PM

try Nick Petrie's "Peter Ash" novels, they're pretty good.
I agree about The Sentinel, Jack Reacher's had a good run but it's not quite the same.
I did finish the book though.

collie1228 01-02-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1880774)
FORMER avid reader and fan of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series. Ever since Andrew took over it’s not the same. I waited about 2 weeks to get from the library for Sentinel...I struggled through about 100 pages and gave up, never finished the book. I’m done.....

I'm with you. Jack Reacher was a great character for the first three or four books, but after that, he wore out quickly. Every town this guy visits has some kind of major conspiracy going on, usually involving a murder or other nefarious situation. Jack has no car, no clothes other than those on his back, and no prospects other than looking for a situation to fix. So he beats up all of the town's bad guys (usually five or six at a time), breaking a few wrists or skulls, and singlehandedly solves the problems. Gets unbelievable quickly.

Stu from NYC 01-02-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1881094)
I'm with you. Jack Reacher was a great character for the first three or four books, but after that, he wore out quickly. Every town this guy visits has some kind of major conspiracy going on, usually involving a murder or other nefarious situation. Jack has no car, no clothes other than those on his back, and no prospects other than looking for a situation to fix. So he beats up all of the town's bad guys (usually five or six at a time), breaking a few wrists or skulls, and singlehandedly solves the problems. Gets unbelievable quickly.

We have always found him a great read, agree not exactly believable but does keep us entertained.

Awaiting getting it from library.

Was disappointed in the movies. Tom Cruise was the worst possible person to play the lead role.

Taltarzac725 01-02-2021 01:06 PM

The show Lee Child is working on has a new Jack Reacher. Alan Ritchson Is Jack Reacher in New Amazon Prime TV Show

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1881140)
We have always found him a great read, agree not exactly agreeable but does keep us entertained.

Awaiting getting it from library.

Was disappointed in the movies. Tom Cruise was the worst possible person to play the lead role.

kathyspear 01-02-2021 01:15 PM

Andrew is no Lee, that's for sure. I suspect that Lee sketched out the plot of this latest book and Andrew did the writing. Very disappointing.

kathy

Taltarzac725 01-02-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1881235)
Andrew is no Lee, that's for sure. I suspect that Lee sketched out the plot of this latest book and Andrew did the writing. Very disappointing.

kathy

That is the impression I got too.

Stu from NYC 01-02-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1881230)
The show Lee Child is working on has a new Jack Reacher. Alan Ritchson Is Jack Reacher in New Amazon Prime TV Show

Thanks for sharing, we will watch for sure