Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Modem off line (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/modem-off-line-314731/)

starflyte1 01-06-2021 02:43 PM

Modem off line

House was inspected this morning.

Now I have a message can’t find the server or can’t reach internet. Online light on modem is off. All other lights on modem are on.

No help online.

Where can I call to get in home help. Geek squad earliest in Jan 23!

Thank you for any help

JohnN 01-06-2021 02:59 PM

step #1 is always unplug and then reboot everything

retiredguy123 01-06-2021 03:17 PM

Step #2 would be to call your internet service provider. If you also have cable TV service with the same provider, is your television operating? If not, your incoming cable has become disconnected or you have lost all service. The cable TV service is not dependent on the modem. Have your neighbors with the same provider also lost their service? If so, it may be a regional outage.

villagetinker 01-06-2021 04:48 PM

Who is your provider?

Bill14564 01-06-2021 04:54 PM

What does it mean "house was inspected?" Did someone come through your house and possibly mess with things?

You write that all other lights are on. Do those lights include an "Upstream" and "Downstream" light? If so, that would mean your modem is able to communicate with your provider.

Is there a button on the top of the modem that disconnects your internet? Did that get pressed somehow?

Did you call your provider to make sure they are not having internet problems?

Garywt 01-06-2021 04:59 PM

Should be a reset button and as said, unplug for about 30 seconds.

starflyte1 01-06-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1883353)
Who is your provider?

Comcast/Xfinity

starflyte1 01-06-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1883356)
What does it mean "house was inspected?" Did someone come through your house and possibly mess with things?

You write that all other lights are on. Do those lights include an "Upstream" and "Downstream" light? If so, that would mean your modem is able to communicate with your provider.

Is there a button on the top of the modem that disconnects your internet? Did that get pressed somehow?

Did you call your provider to make sure they are not having internet problems?

Inspected for sale of house. All was well before the inspection and before they left the internet was off. I thought I could reset it.

starflyte1 01-06-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1883314)
step #1 is always unplug and then reboot everything

Thank you. I did but didn’t help

Bill14564 01-06-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starflyte1 (Post 1883381)
Inspected for sale of house. All was well before the inspection and before they left the internet was off. I thought I could reset it.

They could have pressed the internet disconnect button accidentally when moving the modem.

I don't know why they would have disconnected the coax cable and I doubt that could be the problem if the other lights on the front are on, but that's at least a possibility. I have a junction box in my garage where the cable from the street is connected to the cable that runs through the house.

When I sold my previous home, the buyers called the cable company to get service started. Is it possible a similar thing happened and the company disconnected your service in order to start the new service?

retiredguy123 01-06-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starflyte1 (Post 1883378)
Comcast/Xfinity

Use your smart phone and go to xfinity.com and sign in. From there, you can view the status of your network and all connected devices. It will also tell you if your internet or network is down. You can also troubleshoot the issue.

villagetinker 01-06-2021 07:07 PM

OP, since this appears to be a house you just bought, did you get the service reactivated? Assuming you did, I would still contact Comcast to make sure that they have the correct modem information as I recall they need the exact serial number and another number number on the modem for them to work correctly. Since you apparently bought with the existing equipment, Comcast may have just turned this off.

retiredguy123 01-06-2021 07:14 PM

It sounds like the OP is selling the house, not buying. But, if they are buying, the modem would probably be rented from Xfinity and would need to be returned to Xfinity by the seller.

starflyte1 01-06-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1883433)
OP, since this appears to be a house you just bought, did you get the service reactivated? Assuming you did, I would still contact Comcast to make sure that they have the correct modem information as I recall they need the exact serial number and another number number on the modem for them to work correctly. Since you apparently bought with the existing equipment, Comcast may have just turned this off.

I am selling the house.

At a poster’s suggestion, turned tv on and have no internet or cable connection either. I have called the inspector asking for help.

Thanks!

scottiesrgreat@gmail.com 01-07-2021 06:44 AM

I would call xfinity - first. Sometime they can reset from their end. Or give you some kind of insight re: the origination of the problem. If you have reset - eg un plugged all of your devices connected to your Xfinity services - and reconnected —— I doubt it was anything the inspector did. Unless the inspector disrupted outside wires going into the main box.