Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Out of bounds etiquette (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/out-bounds-etiquette-314864/)

Papa_lecki 01-09-2021 11:28 AM

Out of bounds etiquette

What is the etiquette if you hit a ball “out of bounds” and it lands in someone’s yard? do you leave it or go and grab it? Is having some random balls getting picked up from your yard part of the price of living on the golf course?

billethkid 01-09-2021 11:38 AM

For many.....if they can see it they go get it.

We play it as a lost ball.

bagboy 01-09-2021 11:51 AM

It seems to be legal in most golf course communities for a golfer to retrieve a wayward golf shot

Golf Ball Hazards In Florida: Legal Overview - FindLaw

biker1 01-09-2021 12:07 PM

The Villages' golf guidelines indicate that you should not go on someone's property.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 1884610)
What is the etiquette if you hit a ball “out of bounds” and it lands in someone’s yard? do you leave it or go and grab it? Is having some random balls getting picked up from your yard part of the price of living on the golf course?

rustyp 01-09-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1884630)
It seems to be legal in most golf course communities for a golfer to retrieve a wayward golf shot

Per your attachment "Under Florida property and real estate laws, golf course communities almost always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements, and covenants that allow golfers to retrieve their errant balls on residents’ properties. "

I have read my property deed stem to stern and did not see any clause about golf balls. I don't care if a golfer comes on my property to retrieve a golf ball but you always have someone that goes beyond common sense. I have had golfers hack away in my landscaping searching for a ball. Then there are those that pretend they are not OB and hit from your yard. I'm not fond of the divot after all that TLC I put into the most expensive stuff they call grass down here. I am lucky since my house sits on the left side of a fairway on a very long par 4. Most golfers slice thus right side houses get the brunt plus many golfers take three strokes to reach the green on my hole thus the last shot is a short chip and usually at the green not my house. I have had one broken window and the golfer manned up and came over and offered to pay. I told him that was not necessary or required but was impressed by his ethics.

ohiosbestus 01-09-2021 12:23 PM

Golf balls should not be picked up out of another persons yard. It also says if you break another persons window the golfer is not responsible for it. If you do go into another persons property you are actually trespassing. I also think about 99% of the people dont care if you come into their yard to get your golf ball but dont hit it out of their yard.

bagboy 01-09-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1884639)
Per your attachment "Under Florida property and real estate laws, golf course communities almost always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements, and covenants that allow golfers to retrieve their errant balls on residents’ properties. "

I have read my property deed stem to stern and did not see any clause about golf balls. I don't care if a golfer comes on my property to retrieve a golf ball but you always have someone that goes beyond common sense. I have had golfers hack away in my landscaping searching for a ball. Then there are those that pretend they are not OB and hit from your yard. I'm not fond of the divot after all that TLC I put into the most expensive stuff they call grass down here. I am lucky since my house sits on the left side of a fairway on a very long par 4. Most golfers slice thus right side houses get the brunt plus many golfers take three strokes to reach the green on my hole thus the last shot is a short chip and usually at the green not my house. I have had one broken window and the golfer manned up and came over and offered to pay. I told him that was not necessary or required but was impressed by his ethics.

Personally, I do not go into a private yard to retrieve a golf ball. We retired to South Carolina several years ago. I worked at a golf club for over a decade, and we lived in a different country club community for 7 years, off course by choice. I've seen just about everything, good and bad.
I don't doubt that this issue isn't addressed in your deed restrictions, but it should be in my opinion. But, I doubt this issue fell through the cracks at the developers office. They must have a reason to omit it.

retiredguy123 01-09-2021 01:20 PM

My shots always go down the center of the fairway.

So, this is a non-issue.

John_W 01-09-2021 01:23 PM

I remember last time someone asked this same question. A couple of posters said, I hope you go get your ball, I don't want to run over it with my lawn mower.

Art cov 01-09-2021 02:23 PM

I used to live on a golf bombing range up north! Lol The home I owned was on #15 and a disaster for flying balls. The only safe place on the property was in the house/garage. I was well aware when I purchased, that balls we’re going to be a problem and golfers were going to be traipsing through my property. I do mean every inch and on porches. All owners in danger areas were aware. Boundary was 35’ from back porch. Only things that bothered me was golf carts on my property, not being considerate for leaving wrappers or garbage, walking in my plant beds for their balls, taking the balls they found that other’s didn’t retrieve (I thought I should at least get the balls that the swingers left) 5 years I lived there and gathered quite a collection, oh and the language at times was horrendous. But a lot of entertaining moments as the lovers and the fighters had no idea someone was in the area. Be courteous and respectful of home owners and usually they will be nice also. I sold the home and left with several 5 gal buckets of balls. My reward! Never again will I own in direct path of flying balls

CFrance 01-09-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1884630)

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1884636)
The Villages' golf guidelines indicate that you should not go on someone's property.

I've heard the FL law one before. I've also heard that in signing at closing you are agreeing to golfers coming on to your property. Noe it seems that TV doesn't allow it. I wonder which of these three takes precedence.

Can TV rules override FL law?

Mortal1 01-09-2021 04:59 PM

If you base your action and answer based on consideration alone you'd leave the ball. The RULE within the Villages is that if a ball goes into someones yard you leave it...now if the person is within earshot/view you can always ask them if you can retrieve it.

All other comments are based on personal preference, the need to think you're humorous, hearsay or what the rules are elsewhere.

dewilson58 01-09-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 1884610)

Jus go grab it if it's a few feet in.
99% of Villagers don't care.
The 1%'rs will let you know IF they are home.
:coolsmiley:

Marathon Man 01-09-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1884698)
I've heard the FL law one before. I've also heard that in signing at closing you are agreeing to golfers coming on to your property. Noe it seems that TV doesn't allow it. I wonder which of these three takes precedence.

Can TV rules override FL law?

Reading the legal summary provided, there is no law that allows golfers to trespass. And, since TV has consistantly told golfers that they should not trespass, it must not be in any signed agreements that property owners must allow golfers to enter their property.

Lots of things are said and then repeated so many times that it becomes "true", even though it is not.

John_W 01-09-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1884744)
Jus go grab it if it's a few feet in.
99% of Villagers don't care.
The 1%'rs will let you know IF they are home.
:coolsmiley:

About five years ago playing Tally Ho, that's the nine across from the Glenview Club House. We were on the 9th hole, that's the hole with a huge oak tree right in the middle of the fairway about 210 yards from the white tees. We moved up to our drives and one of the players was in in the left rough and we were looking for his ball. The rough is not very wide before you reach the homes, which is built in trouble since the oak tree eliminates the middle of the fairway.

We didn't even talk to the homeowner or go in his yard, but this guy comes out and said. I just spent $10,000 for this birdcage and you all better not hit it. Well, if were going hit it, we would of hit it back when were on the tee. The guy obviously should of not have bought a home on the golf course if he's going to be standing out there yelling at every golfer to go by. Anyway, I've played it about 15 times since and never seen him again.