Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What a farce for vaccinations (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/what-farce-vaccinations-314888/)

TimeForChange 01-10-2021 08:47 AM

What a farce for vaccinations

Sumter County Health had a sign up this morning for 300 shots to be given this week. Wife and were kicked out of the sign up link within 15 minutes with two computers. Wife is 71, a 20 plus year cancer patient and diabetic and has another surgery scheduled later this month. I am 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran. Friends I have spoken to in other States even younger than me are getting vaccinations this week. The site called "eventbrite" that the County uses says the "shots are free" and "just wait we are trying to find you a ticket". I felt like I was trying to get tickets to see a famous entertainer rather than a shot for the virus! I sat in front of my computer thinking, "I went through a war where I was in harms way everyday and here I am trying to get a shot for a virus brought to the US by Chinese who were supplying the enemy we fought in Vietnam." :boxing2:

will1546 01-10-2021 08:57 AM

Tried the same sites, also to no avail. So far the system is a bust.

Trishakaye 01-10-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeForChange (Post 1884976)
Sumter County Health had a sign up this morning for 300 shots to be given this week. Wife and were kicked out of the sign up link within 15 minutes with two computers. Wife is 71, a 20 plus year cancer patient and diabetic and has another surgery scheduled later this month. I am 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran. Friends I have spoken to in other States even younger than me are getting vaccinations this week. The site called "eventbrite" that the County uses says the "shots are free" and "just wait we are trying to find you a ticket". I felt like I was trying to get tickets to see a famous entertainer rather than a shot for the virus! I sat in front of my computer thinking, "I went through a war where I was in harms way everyday and here I am trying to get a shot for a virus brought to the US by Chinese who were supplying the enemy we fought in Vietnam." :boxing2:

I’m surprised the VA hasn’t been mandated to vaccine veterans over 70.

JohnN 01-10-2021 09:18 AM

It's a big old fat mess. Who's surprised? A 3rd grade class could have come up with a better roll-out plan.
"We're from the government and we're here to help".

Bjeanj 01-10-2021 09:18 AM

I tried signing up last week and had the same result. So, my husband and I tried this week on two computers, one for Monday, and one for Wednesday. I was again unsuccessful for Monday but my husband was able to secure two tickets for Wednesday.

You know what would make this app better? Is if they offered a “waiting list”. That way, the next time vaccines were offered, their system would automatically pull up the next xxx number of people on the waiting list and notify them.

I think they’re trying to use software that was not designed for this purpose. It’s certainly better than waiting overnight in a long line of cars, but not perfect, either.

New Englander 01-10-2021 09:20 AM

I'm going to wait till I can get the vaccine either at The Villages Health or Walgreens. I want to be certain that I will be able to get the second shot when I'm suppose to get it.

Bill14564 01-10-2021 09:20 AM

The "famous entertainer" analogy is useful. Not everyone who would like to see a famous entertainer is able to get tickets if the venue is too small for the number of people trying.

In the case of the vaccine, the venue in Sumter County this week has 300 seats but there are tens of thousands of people who would like to attend. Clearly, not everyone is going to fit.

You are 75. I'll bet there are some who are over 90 who were also unable to get a seat at the venue this week.

Nearly everyone wants the vaccine and wants it now but there aren't enough doses for that to happen. We are all just going to have to be patient and keep trying for one of the seats.

If it makes you feel any better, consider that there are a lot of Floridians who are under 65 and aren't even being offered tickets at this time. As frustrated as you are that you can't get your ticket, I know that I can't even try until you and all the tens of thousands aged 65 and over get theirs. Hopefully, you will have your shot this month; I don't expect mine until June or later.

retiredguy123 01-10-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1885025)
I tried signing up last week and had the same result. So, my husband and I tried this week on two computers, one for Monday, and one for Wednesday. I was again unsuccessful for Monday but my husband was able to secure two tickets for Wednesday.

You know what would make this app better? Is if they offered a “waiting list”. That way, the next time vaccines were offered, their system would automatically pull up the next xxx number of people on the waiting list and notify them.

I think they’re trying to use software that was not designed for this purpose. It’s certainly better than waiting overnight in a long line of cars, but not perfect, either.

I don't think an online waiting list would work. You would have thousands of people on the list for a few hundred shots. Many of them would get the vaccine somewhere else and would not remove their name from the list. So, they would spend a lot of time trying to notify people who don't even want the vaccine. The only answer is to provide more of the vaccine.

rhood 01-10-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will1546 (Post 1884994)
Tried the same sites, also to no avail. So far the system is a bust.

It’s just a bust if you didn’t get in. There are 340 folks who would disagree with you.

Bjeanj 01-10-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1885042)
I don't think an online waiting list would work. You would have thousands of people on the list for a few hundred shots. Many of them would get the vaccine somewhere else and would not remove their name from the list. So, they would spend a lot of time trying to notify people who don't even want the vaccine. The only answer is to provide more of the vaccine.

Good point.

billethkid 01-10-2021 09:44 AM

300 doses for two days each?
Really? For a population of 150,000 (plus snow birds....200,000++).
TV happy paper had the nerve to run a headline about "...ramping up vaccinations...".

I refuse to spend the time and agrivation to land a spot on almost useless web sites.

First come first served in TV...:1rotfl:

We will wait until there is an adequate supply and avoid the usual villagers panic mode paranoia.

TimeForChange 01-10-2021 09:56 AM

The VA puts you on a list if you are 75 or older and it's suppose to be two to six weeks before you get a call for an appointment. I will believe that when it happens. I have been dealing with them too long.

TimeForChange 01-10-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1885028)
The "famous entertainer" analogy is useful. Not everyone who would like to see a famous entertainer is able to get tickets if the venue is too small for the number of people trying.

In the case of the vaccine, the venue in Sumter County this week has 300 seats but there are tens of thousands of people who would like to attend. Clearly, not everyone is going to fit.

You are 75. I'll bet there are some who are over 90 who were also unable to get a seat at the venue this week.

Nearly everyone wants the vaccine and wants it now but there aren't enough doses for that to happen. We are all just going to have to be patient and keep trying for one of the seats.

If it makes you feel any better, consider that there are a lot of Floridians who are under 65 and aren't even being offered tickets at this time. As frustrated as you are that you can't get your ticket, I know that I can't even try until you and all the tens of thousands aged 65 and over get theirs. Hopefully, you will have your shot this month; I don't expect mine until June or later.

Just so you know I really don't care about myself. It is my cancer surviving wife who is diabetic and no fault of her on and she is not over weight. She is having more surgery the last week of the Month. Sorry but I care more about her after 52 years than anyone else in FL.

TimeForChange 01-10-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhood (Post 1885046)
It’s just a bust if you didn’t get in. There are 340 folks who would disagree with you.

I hope you feel better by posting that. Just being over 70 is not enough. Those who are cancer patients having more surgery and diabetic (no fault of hers) should have a priority. There is always a smart person who responds with a curt answer. Congrats!

kansasr 01-10-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1885053)
Good point.

Agreed. Apparently Marion County had a waiting list and they had to stop doing that after they had more then 30,000 people signed up for the waiting list.