Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/i-oppose-raising-road-impact-fees-315089/)

jrandall 01-14-2021 06:02 PM

I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees

As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.

Mortal1 01-14-2021 06:19 PM

Well you're mighty good at making "what ifs" into will be". Not sure what you guess will actually happen though since there is a guaranteed population of 100k+ to tap for future businesses.

tophcfa 01-14-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrandall (Post 1887478)
As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.

One sided talking points taken from the Daily Sun.

Stu from NYC 01-14-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1887522)

I noticed that also.

JoMar 01-14-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1887490)
Well you're mighty good at making "what ifs" into will be". Not sure what you guess will actually happen though since there is a guaranteed population of 100k+ to tap for future businesses.

The population is only relevant when the business's are competitive.....impact fees will be reflected in the prices we pay and TV residents aren't receptive to higher prices. States all over the Country are trying to attract businesses by reducing the costs through reduced tax packages to make it desirable for businesses to move there. It's not a new concept. This was a point made during the election but it fell on deaf ears. We are now going to experience reality. What I always find fascinating is we have the ability to simply move if the impact fees negatively impact us, business will need to close or lay off or not come here if they negatively impact them. Is it worth the gamble to save a few hundred bucks a year?

JoMar 01-14-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1887522)

They weren't talking points, they were comments made by the business community. Do you think the CEO of UF Health wasn't serious? They have two medical facilities here that won't be impacted......and his point was why build a third if the economics don't work. The other businesses also stated they would be hurt if development is slowed.....which comes under the "stating the obvious" heading. I suspect that when the emotions are removed, the County will do what is necessary to attract business and opportunity, provide an environment for those that are here to grow and make decisions that improve the quality of life for all Sumter County. It is their risk to take.

tophcfa 01-14-2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1887527)
impact fees will be reflected in the prices we pay and TV residents aren't receptive to higher prices.

News Flash: TV residents with homes in Sumter county are already paying over half of the impact fees, thanks to the 25% tax increase. If the impact cost of new development can’t be passed along to those creating said costs, or their customers, than such development is not economical. I am extremely pro business, as long as the business is sustainable without being subsidized on the backs of taxpayers.

stan the man 01-14-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1887525)
I noticed that also.

me to

tophcfa 01-14-2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1887531)
I suspect that when the emotions are removed, the County will do what is necessary to attract business and opportunity, provide an environment for those that are here to grow and make decisions that improve the quality of life for all Sumter County.

Please explain how someone living in the greater Spanish Springs area, who’s property taxes are subsiding the costs created by development happening south of 44, are having their quality of life improved???

Rwirish 01-15-2021 05:47 AM

Let’s all keep paying for the south of 44 development. The new commissioners were elected in part based on this issue. Perhaps the proposed impact fee increase is too high but an increase is needed.

Love2Swim 01-15-2021 05:55 AM

How big are the impact fees that would keep UF Health from opening a third facility here? They stand to make millions off The Villages. I can't believe that some fees will keep them from coming. And its ridiculous to expect existing residents to fund infrastructure for future residents. In any other planned community, the developer would pay for the infrastructure, and recoup his $$ upon sale of the new homes. This is just another way for the Villages Developer to make even more of a profit, off the backs of existing residents.

irishmartin 01-15-2021 05:55 AM

Miller and Search’s platform they run on was about not raising taxes like the previous commissioners? Is this another bate and switch?

airdale2 01-15-2021 06:11 AM

A not for profit hospital will not pay property taxes

Nick B 01-15-2021 06:39 AM

Historically impact fees have never slowed things down in Florida the builder may have to take a little less profit. Oh My!

Northerner52 01-15-2021 06:40 AM

Why doesn't Sumter issue bonds to pay for the road costs that will be paid for by the increase property taxes on the new future homes?