Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Time to wave goodbye to the WAVE tee time system on Championship courses? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/time-wave-goodbye-wave-tee-time-system-championship-courses-315288/)

thevillages2013 01-20-2021 06:19 AM

Time to wave goodbye to the WAVE tee time system on Championship courses?

Just throwing this out for feedback but with all the 9 hole only players on Championship courses why don’t they designate one of the 27 hole course’s nines to nine hole players and do straight 18 hole tee times on the other two. If you have ever finished your front nine and had to wait up to 30 minutes to tee off on your back nine you understand why I am asking this. They could rotate the dedicated 9 hole course.

dewilson58 01-20-2021 06:22 AM

How many 9 hole players are there?????
(I've never seen the stats)

thevillages2013 01-20-2021 07:08 AM

I don’t have the stats but I always ask the starter about the groups immediately in front of me before I tee off and invariably there are 9 hole players. They take an entire tee time away even though only playing 9

TSO/ISPF 01-20-2021 07:18 AM

Play 9 holes all the time

If they can't better manage the Pace of Play and the Wave tee time system I would agree that a change is needed if people playing 18 holes are frequently delayed on the turn. I don't like making rounds longer for people because I prefer to play 9 holes.

dewilson58 01-20-2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevillages2013 (Post 1889972)
I don’t have the stats but I always ask the starter about the groups immediately in front of me before I tee off and invariably there are 9 hole players. They take an entire tee time away even though only playing 9

Without knowing volumes, very difficult (in fact dangerous) to change successful practices or expect change.

thevillages2013 01-20-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1889978)
Without knowing volumes, very difficult (in fact dangerous) to change successful practices or expect change.

True, definitely not expecting change just spitballing here

kcrazorbackfan 01-20-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

352-753-3396; Golf Admin.; let us all know what the response is.....

stanley 01-20-2021 07:36 AM

When are people going to realize that being first out and playing fast has it's disadvantages?

Marathon Man 01-20-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1889987)
352-753-3396; Golf Admin.; let us all know what the response is.....

Yep.

Marathon Man 01-20-2021 08:34 AM

Quote:

Removing a tee time and waiting thirty minutes at the turn do not seem to go together. Lots of complaints about slow play. So maybe 9-hole players creating a space in the second nine is a good thing.

John_W 01-20-2021 08:41 AM

I like 9 hole players in front of me, then my back 9 will be even faster. Plus this time of year all 9 hole players have to tee off after 1pm. I don't see any problem, taking away a course for exclusive 9 hole play is a bigger problem when you're not a priority member. Two of the three Fridays this month they weren't able to accommodate my request for a teetime from 11:56 to 1:00, losing an entire course would make that even harder. If you can't get off before 1:00, it's hard to get in 18 holes.

The only problem I encounter, and this has happened twice in the past 6 months. We get a teetime of 11:56 and my foursome will done with the front nine by 1:30 to 1:40, then we go to the back nine and they make us wait for 20 to 30 minutes so teetimes can get off before we can start our back nine. This happened two weeks ago at Cane Garden going from Jacaranda to Allamanda. I wish they would eliminate the last couple of teetimes from 1:40 to 1:55.

trueorange 01-20-2021 09:16 AM

I like playing 9 holes instead of 18 since it gives me time back in the day. Maybe they could open more 9 hole times on one day a week. Just a thought.

collie1228 01-20-2021 09:30 AM

If you are waiting at the turn, it's usually because you have played the front nine ahead of schedule. I've found that if our group plays steadily, and meets the time schedule shown on the scorecard, we don't have to wait at the turn.

birdiebill 01-20-2021 09:35 AM

I play in a small group of 8 to 12 players, all priority. We usually get tee times between 7:50 and 8:15. We rotate between all the championship courses. We can easily finish the first nine in 1 1/2 hours, but we know that with the wave, we will have to wait to begin the second 9 if we speed too fast. Most of the time we have very little wait, if any, to start the second 9.

While there is some slow play on the champ courses, most of the complaints I see are from those speedy players that are playing too fast. I remember one time when we were complaining to each other about the slow play since we were waiting on every shot. At the turn we realized we had still finished the first nine in 1 hour 40 minutes. The group ahead of us were "on time", but we thought they were slow; we are just always ready to hit our next shot in turn.

tophcfa 01-20-2021 09:36 AM

Interesting idea posted by the OP. Personally I very much prefer straight T times because my favorite time to start a round is in the 9:30 to noon window. One doesn’t have to rush out too early, yet still finishes the round with plenty of day still ahead of them. These times simply are not available using the wave. That is the primary reason that I tend to play Tierra and Orange Blossom more frequently than the other courses.