Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Hundreds of National Guardsmen tested positive in D.C. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/hundreds-national-guardsmen-tested-positive-d-c-315416/)

Byte1 01-22-2021 04:29 PM

Hundreds of National Guardsmen tested positive in D.C.

In todays news it is reported that "hundreds of guardsmen have tested positive" for COVID in D.C. and many infected are being quarantined in hotels. After they were all ordered out of the Capitol building, they were told to rest in parking garages until they received further orders. Probably not the best accommodations considering this being a bad time for the virus and Flu.

Just a side note: I believe that if they were activated in this area, we would have treated our volunteers much better.

manaboutown 01-22-2021 04:46 PM

They were treated thanklessly and terribly. Having served in the MD National Guard during the riots in 1968 I relate to those ladies and gentlemen. Their treatment appalls me.

DeanFL 01-22-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1891278)
In todays news it is reported that "hundreds of guardsmen have tested positive" for COVID in D.C. and many infected are being quarantined in hotels. After they were all ordered out of the Capitol building, they were told to rest in parking garages until they received further orders. Probably not the best accommodations considering this being a bad time for the virus and Flu.

Just a side note: I believe that if they were activated in this area, we would have treated our volunteers much better.

agree. I read on several sources that a person who owns a large hotel in D.C. has opened it up to any Guards-person to stay in comfors rather than on cold concrete floors. This 'person' will go unamed here...

Stu from NYC 01-22-2021 05:00 PM

Whoever was responsible should find a new way to earn a living.

Would have thought the commanding officers of these units would have done a better job for their guys.

Velvet 01-22-2021 05:14 PM

They were ready to serve their country. I wonder whose idea it was to put them in a parking garage. I hope they get to tryout the accommodations they suggested themselves.

It just hurt me to look at these maskless, laying on each other on the concrete floor, young people.

Boomer 01-22-2021 08:36 PM

A SNAFU indeed but not a FUBAR.

They were ordered out of their area in the Capitol by someone in the Capitol Police — most certainly NOT by anyone in an elected position.

In fact, the outrage came from both sides of the aisle.

There was a quick apology from the President when he found out. (He’s been a little busy these past couple of days.) He made sure the situation was fixed. (His son who died was in the National Guard.)

Although the mess has now been corrected, I am sure the manipulative talking heads on the source of choice for many are having a field day with this one — ya know — whatever it takes to divert attention or obliterate thinking about the reason why the troops had to be there in the first place.

Boomer

Topspinmo 01-22-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1891352)

They were ordered out of their area in the Capitol by someone in the Capitol Police — most certainly NOT by anyone in an elected position.

There was a quick apology from the President when he found out. (He’s been a little busy these past couple of days.) He made sure the situation was fixed. (His son who died was in the National Guard.)

Although the mess has now been corrected, I am sure the manipulative talking heads on the source of choice for many are having a field day with this one — ya know — whatever it takes to divert attention or obliterate thinking about the reason why the troops had to be there in the first place.

Boomer

O, yes always some small fish responsible, so the big fishes can swim on by.

Topspinmo 01-22-2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

I have about as much fate in those tests as I do the federal government.

cb1972 01-22-2021 10:39 PM

not surprising these Men and Women were treated this way ,remember they are the "DC" National Guard . Kudos to Biden though for his action.

manaboutown 01-22-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1972 (Post 1891383)
not surprising these Men and Women were treated this way ,remember they are the "DC" National Guard . Kudos to Biden though for his action.

Sad...

GOLFER54 01-23-2021 05:47 AM

Very sad

Girlcopper 01-23-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

The governor ordered the Florida guards home. Great move. The others were allowed back into the bldgs after the negative response the garage move received. . What does anyone gain by putting them in poor conditions when they are protecting the country

jbrown132 01-23-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1891371)
O, yes always some small fish responsible, so the big fishes can swim on by.

If it was just some low level person in the capital police ordering this and I were the commanding officer I would have told him this was not going to happen. Let’s face it, this came from up high somewhere and whoever ordered it is now running for cover. Why is it so hard to find out the command chain? Interesting.

Bay Kid 01-23-2021 08:16 AM

These poor women and men that protect our country were used. Used for THEIR own agenda. We have turned into a shameful country, kind of 3rd world.

Aloha1 01-23-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1891352)

Boomer

WRONG. The Capitol Police have denied making any such decision . And, no, the situation has not been fixed. At least our Governor and a couple others ordered our people back to their States - over the objections of some in Washington DC.