Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/)
-   -   Home Basketball Hoop? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/home-basketball-hoop-315503/)

Joe.N 01-25-2021 06:21 AM

Home Basketball Hoop?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and not a Villager (yet), so please forgive my ignorance if this is the wrong place to ask this.

If one has a house in TV with a driveway of adequate size/ configuration, is a portable basketball hoop allowed?

I'm thinking that an above-the-garage-door style would count as a modification of the house, and need to be approved by the HOA (or whatever it is called in TV) and probably would not be approved.

Maybe the portable type (although left in place once installed, they are obviously only really "portable" in principle) is acceptable?

Why not just go to a rec center that has a hoop?

I suck and need to work on the basics before I can play any sort of organized activity.

Thanks!
Joe.N

birdiebill 01-25-2021 07:04 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but the two Regional rec centers closest to us have an outdoor basketball hoop. I seldom see anyone using them. There are no indoor basketball facilities that I know of inside any rec center in the Villages

I doubt one would be allowed in the driveway, but don't know for sure.

Two Bills 01-25-2021 07:17 AM

One thing for sure.
Someone will complain!

bilcon 01-25-2021 07:35 AM

The Trolls will be all over you in 5 minutes. Forget about it.

Marathon Man 01-25-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilcon (Post 1892436)
The Trolls will be all over you in 5 minutes. Forget about it.

Oh please. I am thinking that some people just look for any opportunity to use the word "troll".

Bogie Shooter 01-25-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe.N (Post 1892398)
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and not a Villager (yet), so please forgive my ignorance if this is the wrong place to ask this.

If one has a house in TV with a driveway of adequate size/ configuration, is a portable basketball hoop allowed?

I'm thinking that an above-the-garage-door style would count as a modification of the house, and need to be approved by the HOA (or whatever it is called in TV) and probably would not be approved.

Maybe the portable type (although left in place once installed, they are obviously only really "portable" in principle) is acceptable?

Why not just go to a rec center that has a hoop?

I suck and need to work on the basics before I can play any sort of organized activity.

Thanks!
Joe.N

The right place to ask.
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Fax: 352-751-6707
Email Deed Compliance

BTW this should be the least of your worries!

CWGUY 01-25-2021 12:31 PM

:welcome: That one is going in "The Book" too. In the chapter on GREAT FIRST POSTS. :bigbow:

dewilson58 01-25-2021 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Joe.N;1892398]Maybe the portable type (although left in place once installed, they are obviously only really "portable" in principle) is acceptable?[QUOTE]

I have my portable pool on the driveway, no problems.

bandsdavis 01-25-2021 04:05 PM

Every driveway I've seen in the sections of The Villages north of Route 44 has a slope that would not be at all condusive to shooting, never mind dribbling. I haven't been to the newer sections so I can't speak to those locations.

Papa_lecki 01-25-2021 06:49 PM

Your in your 50s or 60s - not sure its the best time to pick up basketball. Talk to your Achilles or ACL first.
Try golf.

villagetinker 01-25-2021 10:29 PM

If your birdcage is large and high enough, the floor will be flat, and the screens will keep the ball from getting away. "Trolls" cannot see the back of the house, and in general stuff inside the birdcage and lanai are not subject to review.

RaunchyRich 01-26-2021 04:06 AM

Yes a basketball hoop and bouncing the ball is appreciated by most neighbors!
Keep us informed on how this goes...