Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   Local musical performers in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/local-musical-performers-tv-316112/)

stephen.q.pankow 02-09-2021 11:36 AM

Local musical performers in TV

There seem to be an impressive number of very good musical acts performing in and around The Villages. I thought that I'd list a few of mine, and hope that others will pitch in with a few of theirs, particularly the lesser well known acts. I'll start with...

* Jeff Jarrett: an excellent singer and guitarist performing mostly classic rock and folk songs.

* The Mudds: a husband and wife duo who have recently started performing rock with several other talented musicians. I understand that they also perform as a jazz duo, which is something that I look forward to hearing.

* Johnny Wild and the Delights: while I'm not usually a big fan of the music from the 50's, they do such a great job of selecting material, performing it so well, while putting on an excellent and engaging performance that I really enjoy their shows.

* Gilly and the Girl: a really excellent singer and guitarist performing rock, folk, oldies, and most everything else, including a few songs that I hadn't heard before and really enjoyed.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.

tgeckenrode 03-28-2021 10:01 PM

Some of my musical choices...

* Gilly and the Girl: a really excellent singer and guitarist performing rock, folk, oldies, and most everything else, including a few songs that I hadn't heard before and really enjoyed.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.[/QUOTE]

I agree about Gilly And The Girl. Johnny Wild is a good one too whether 3 piece or 5 piece.

*One we just saw tonight was Anita Drink Band. Fabulous 3 piece doing mostly classic rock. Two girls (mother on guitar & daughter on bass) and guy on drums. Band did well, sound system not as well.

*Swing Theory - I am also a jazz fan. These guys did great. I'd like to see more like this. I don't think they are on the schedule very often.

LiverpoolWalrus 03-29-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen.q.pankow (Post 1899692)
There seem to be an impressive number of very good musical acts performing in and around The Villages. I thought that I'd list a few of mine, and hope that others will pitch in with a few of theirs, particularly the lesser well known acts. I'll start with...

* Jeff Jarrett: an excellent singer and guitarist performing mostly classic rock and folk songs.

* The Mudds: a husband and wife duo who have recently started performing rock with several other talented musicians. I understand that they also perform as a jazz duo, which is something that I look forward to hearing.

* Johnny Wild and the Delights: while I'm not usually a big fan of the music from the 50's, they do such a great job of selecting material, performing it so well, while putting on an excellent and engaging performance that I really enjoy their shows.

That's the start of my list, but I'm always on the outlook for any of the other great performers who frequently play here in The Villages.

My faves so far are the Hooligans, Spazmatics, Johnny Wild, Anita Drink and Uncle Bob’s Rock Shop, with the first three being the most outstanding.

By the way, Stephen, Johnny Wild does lots of songs from the ‘60s as well as the ‘50s and I agree they do an excellent job on all of them.

P.S. Paisley Craze are good too, but not "paisley" enough, imo. Kinda false advertising. I was expecting a psych/garage band. They might do Incense and Peppermints but that's about it.

tgeckenrode 03-29-2021 11:24 AM

Hello? Is there anybody out there? I've tried multiple times to reply to this thread and they seem to go to outer space.

Edit: Success!!! Finally.

*Anita Drink Band is my current fave. Did an outstanding version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zep and it morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back. Three piece band. Mother on guitar, daughter on bass, guy on drums.

*Gilly and the Girl - also very good.

*Yes. Johnny Wild - good as 3 piece and 5 piece.

*Swing Theory - for those who like Jazz, very good. I would like to see more of them and bands like them.

NancyLee 03-29-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgeckenrode (Post 1922658)
Hello? ...
*Anita Drink Band is my current fave. Did an outstanding version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zep and it morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back. Three piece band. Mother on guitar, daughter on bass, guy on drums...

I guess I am missing something. What is "morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back."?

John_W 03-29-2021 01:46 PM

John_W 03-29-2021 01:48 PM

tgeckenrode 03-29-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyLee (Post 1922721)
I guess I am missing something. What is "morphed into 25 or 6 to 4 and then back."?

"25 or 6 to 4". Well known song from Chicago's early years, about 1972? And then went back into "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You".

davem4616 03-29-2021 05:54 PM

Clark Barrios and Rocky and The Rollers are favorites of ours

lots of really good talent around here

Gilly and the gal did a driveway party for neighbors a few months back...they did a nice job, Clark Barrios came and did a driveway concert for us, we have him coming back

mamamia54 03-29-2021 06:46 PM

Clark Barrios does driveway parties? How much does he charge?

Garywt 03-29-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1922824)
Clark Barrios and Rocky and The Rollers are favorites of ours

lots of really good talent around here

Gilly and the gal did a driveway party for neighbors a few months back...they did a nice job, Clark Barrios came and did a driveway concert for us, we have him coming back

Was wondering why it took so long to get Rocky and the Rollers on the list. Also we like Audio Exchange and MPire.

LiverpoolWalrus 03-29-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1922724)
You'll find most of the bands play the same songs and the same set every month

That is so true. I wish someone would get the word out to them to mix up the set list a little more. Don’t they realize a lot of people see them multiple times and presumably would like a little variety?

Personally I can’t see myself going to hear my 4 or 5 favorite bands month after month only to witness the same old songs over and over and over. I can understand why you got tired of Johnny Wild, John. And it’s a shame because he and his band are top notch.

Polar Bear 03-29-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1922888)
That is so true. I wish someone would get the word out to them to mix up the set list a little more. Don’t they realize a lot of people see them multiple times and presumably would like a little variety?...

Wow. You want bands to play four hour gigs and not repeat songs from previous shows?!?

I think you’re the one who doesn’t realize the work that goes into being a successful band and playing for four hours every show at the squares.

LiverpoolWalrus 03-29-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1922897)
Wow. You want bands to play four hour gigs and not repeat songs from previous shows?!?

I think you’re the one who doesn’t realize the work that goes into being a successful band and playing for four hours every show at the squares.

Hi Polar and thanks for reading my post and commenting. "Mix up the set list a little more" does not mean not playing songs from previous shows. But thanks for your input and interesting perspective. I appreciate it.

No problem with some, or even a lot, of repetition but let's not forget, for whatever it's worth, that the The Dead played for 3 hours a night and Bob Dylan for 2 hours a night for years and played a different set list each night.

Homer49 03-29-2021 09:46 PM

Joe Hand is our favorite solo act. He also plays occasionally with “The Beautiful Bobby Blackmon”, and they’re great together. Joe is a real-deal musician. Has his own studio and creates all his own backing tracks for a huge song list, and they are truly excellent. His guitar talent is among the best we’ve heard, doing a wide range of covers and some very nice originals. We see him often at Edna’s’ and at Sip in Leesburg. Garvino’s and Lakeridge Winery are some of his other frequent gigs.

Yes, I’m a fan!