Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   How To Kill These Weeds?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/how-kill-these-weeds-316210/)

Steve-Ryzel 02-11-2021 02:17 PM

How To Kill These Weeds??

1 Attachment(s)
Hello. I've got some weeds I've been trying to kill off. I've been using Scott's Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed but it doesn't seem to work on these specific weeds. I don't know what they're called... so I've attached a picture of them. Doesn't anyone have any advice for an application to remove them?

JohnN 02-11-2021 02:30 PM

Spray some vinegar on 'em. It's cheap and effective. But don't get it on any plants you want to keep.

I'm Popeye! 02-11-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1900607)
Spray some vinegar on 'em. It's cheap and effective. But don't get it on any plants you want to keep.

But will the vinegar also kill the grass?

jebartle 02-11-2021 02:52 PM

I've changed their name to "Dollar Flower", they are happy and so am I.

GrnThumb 02-11-2021 03:22 PM

They’re called dollar weed and it means you have too much moisture in that area. If you pull them out be sure to pull the entire long white root that goes with it or it will regrow. Use Round up.

karostay 02-11-2021 04:38 PM

Elbow Grease

thevillages2013 02-12-2021 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-Ryzel (Post 1900601)
Hello. I've got some weeds I've been trying to kill off. I've been using Scott's Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed but it doesn't seem to work on these specific weeds. I don't know what they're called... so I've attached a picture of them. Doesn't anyone have any advice for an application to remove them?

Get on Amazon and order some MSM herbicide. It appears that you have St Augustine /Floratam grass and you have to be careful what weed killer you use. The MSM contains Manor which will kill the dollar weed but not your grass. Make sure to mix it according to the directions. It takes a very small amount per gallon of water. The grass may yellow some and it takes a while to work but it works. Natural remedies are baking soda or white sugar sprinkled on and watered in but I have never tried that. Definitely no Roundup or vinegar unless you want to kill the grass too

hotdog 02-12-2021 06:03 AM

Its called dollar weed and yes they are difficult to get rid of. I have some in my lane and going to ACE hardware in Wildwood

JohnN 02-12-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Laslowe (Post 1900614)
But will the vinegar also kill the grass?

if that's in grass, it'll kill the grass too. I didn't quite see the grass there!!

MSM would be your best option if it's in grass.

bowlingal 02-12-2021 06:06 AM

don't use roundup....use spectricide it works much better and is a lot cheaper

willbush 02-12-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-Ryzel (Post 1900601)

Just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get BIOADVANCED Southern Weed Killer for St Augustine & other Southern Lawns. lawns - Kills Broadleaf weeds - 200 Plus Weeds - including dollarweed - Rainproof in 1 hour - I use it on mine and my neighbors yard.

mikreb 02-12-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingal (Post 1900797)
don't use roundup....use spectricide it works much better and is a lot cheaper

Spectricide will kill St Augustine grass. Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action will provide a pre and post emergent that will control dollar weed.

matandch 02-12-2021 07:33 AM

Baking soda – Some people have had luck with using baking soda for killing dollar weeds. Simply wet down the dollar weed foliage and sprinkle baking soda over it, leaving it overnight. This is supposed to kill the weeds but be safe for the grass.

richl 02-12-2021 07:35 AM

Try this non-toxic weed killer - it works pretty well for me
1 gallon vinegar, 2 cups epsom salts, 1/4 cup dish soap
spray in the morning after the dew has evaporated

equaintance 02-12-2021 07:45 AM

Roundup

QUOTE=GrnThumb;1900628]They’re called dollar weed and it means you have too much moisture in that area. If you pull them out be sure to pull the entire long white root that goes with it or it will regrow. Use Round up.[/QUOTE]

Roundup is toxic to the environment and all living things. Pull your weeds and maintain you landscape.