Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What are good fruiting trees/shrubs to grow in TV? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-good-fruiting-trees-shrubs-grow-tv-316577/)

AzAuSenior 02-21-2021 12:05 AM

What are good fruiting trees/shrubs to grow in TV?

We want to grow subtropical fruit that is good to eat and not generally commercially available. What are good fruiting trees/shrubs to grow in TV? Guava Ruby Supreme, Barbados cherry, Blueberry, and Sea Grape have been recommended. I wanted a Blue Java banana but bananas like to grow in bunches and we don't have the room for more than one plant in a location (4-5 individual plant locations each separated a distance from the other). We are not gardeners and are time limited. We can provide some care but not an excessive amount. Plus, is there anywhere where we can get help in making the plant selections and as well as where to procure such plants?

mgkw1 02-21-2021 09:04 AM

Fruit trees and plants are not recommended. They attract rats (and they are big here) and other critters that you don't want. As well as insects.

vintageogauge 02-21-2021 09:53 AM

I would pass on the fruit, it's hard enough to keep the critters out of the palm dates. I might add that there are lots of places around TV to pick blueberries, peaches, etc.

bobdeb 02-21-2021 10:31 AM

Forget planting a citrus tree if you are snow birding, unless you have someone diligently taking care of the fertilization and maintenance.

Most trees I see are sadly neglected. Fruit ripens and falls and rots and attracts rats and insects and snakes. (Btw, snakes are good to have around your home.)

With some exceptions, fruit trees will generate more fruit than you can manage. Therefore the neglect comes into play.

I have two homes here. (Don't ask.) At one home I have a genuinely sweet neighbor, with a sadly neglected lemon tree in his back yard. And he's elderly (like me) so I do what I can to keep it tidy. Yes, I'm being a good neighbor and friend, while keeping rats away.

Just my opinion, but look around at citrus trees in people's yards. Make an informed decision.

OpusX1 02-23-2021 10:11 PM

Our last house we had a Key Lime bush in a large pot. Pretty easy to keep up with. The second year it produced over 100 limes and was only about 3 feet tall. Don’t let any fruit hit the ground because as mentioned above fruit rats are a problem, as far as I know they don’t bother the fruit on the bush. Be very careful of planting fruit trees in the ground because they will be difficult to keep up with.

EdFNJ 02-23-2021 11:17 PM

We get about 15lbs of humongous Meyer lemons from our back yard neighbor's 2 trees 2x a year. His 2 trees could probably stock Publix with their crop for a few days. Can't speak for vermin or other animals but haven't seen any arround here but I don't think our location has many to begin with, just lots of geckos/anoles & lovebugs. He does NOTHING to them, they just grow and produce lemons 2x a year of which some weigh almost a pound and you can eat them like oranges without too much puckering. :D He also has a LIME tree which doesn't do well. We planted 1 Valencia orange tree (could never do that in NJ) when we moved in 3 years ago and this year have our first "crop." Well, 4. :) They don't taste so great though but they actually look like oranges! Maybe next year. Right now there are hundreds of blossoms on it. Def no rats but we do have a friendly BAT in our patio umbrella but not sure if s/he likes oranges. ;)

Our first harvest!

https://i.ibb.co/0czJ83r/2021-02-19-16-20-45.jpg